Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 AM

15,501 posts, read 16,982,218 times

Advertisements

Some things not to do in a small town.

Turn down a home made pie

Don't feed a neighbor's horse without asking first.

Refuse to feed a neighbor's cat when they are gone on vacation

Don't cook on the outdoor grill unless you are willing to share
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 11:14 AM

6,744 posts, read 8,511,175 times
LOL!! You reminded me that the one time we lock our cars up around here is when the gardens are in full production.
If you don't lock your doors you'll come back to find a bag of zuccini on your seat

Also, if you call the sheriff for stock on the road, (if you don't know whose stock they are), he will likely just call the owner to round them up instead of citing them.

I saw the owners and 2 sheriffs deputies chasing a bunch of mules down the side of the highway one day, and the folks on the hwy were stopping and trying to head off the mules.

By the time they finall caught them there must have been 8 or 10 vehicles stopped and trying to help.

If a semi had come down that back road, it would have been a real mess, but neighbors pitch in to help when it's needed

Old 04-17-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
LOL!! You reminded me that the one time we lock our cars up around here is when the gardens are in full production.
If you don't lock your doors you'll come back to find a bag of zuccini on your seat
Two years ago my zucchini went crazy. They forgot to stop producing. Neighbors starting running when they saw me cause they knew I was going to give them a bag of zucchini, blasted things were harder to rid of than puppies.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:57 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,701,707 times
LOL that's when I stopped planting a garden, my neighbor grows enough for both of us.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:12 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,101,748 times
Default Something "you-do-not-do" when working and living in a small town,,.

A week after I got out of college...some 60 years ago...... I started my "working career " which lasted 40 years. A helpful and long time employee of the company gave me several pieces of advice, one of which not only applies to what you may do when working and living in a small town, but actually applies no matter where you work.............................................. ...........

.........Never get your meat, where you get your bread & butter

.........................WORDS TO LIVE BY!!!

Old 05-31-2014, 02:07 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,365,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.............Never get your meat, where you get your bread & butter ......WORDS TO LIVE BY!!!
Sometimes it is hard to keep your hot dog at home if the buns are at work.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:56 AM

I don't get it, y'all, someone please spell it out for this blonde......

Old 06-02-2014, 11:32 AM

In a small town, be careful what you say about anyone, cause the person you are speaking to will be related to them.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:06 PM

18,530 posts, read 1,423,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
We don't use our horns or honk at folks here. That is rude...besides it is probably your neighbor's Mama.

The politeness at Stop signs drives me crazy....everyone stops, "No, you go ahead", "No, you go".....just stop it already! Someone please GO.

We are not in a hurry around here. Small talk while doing business is part of living here. You don't mind when folks talk while Cashing out at the store, or bank. And if you do mind...that is part of small town life, get used to it.

Everyone knows your business. They know who you are sleeping with. Where you went on vacation, and where you ate dinner the other night. And no one really cares.
Folks know everyone's business but are quiet about it.
That seems to be my liking: friendly people, willing to take time to make a "stranger" feel more at home. If I'm able to get to know people, it makes life more enjoyable, seeing as I may be able to add something pleasant to the local environment. People have much to offer to each other.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:51 AM

Good people have much to offer, small town or not. More incentive to be good folk because you are never under the radar in a small town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living