Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times

Advertisements

From my experience, it's not just that small town people don't care for cities. They've made hatred of the cities a core part of their identity. So much so that rural politicianss frequently invoke it just to prove their credentials. What gives? Life's to short to hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 12:54 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
I've lived in big cities, small cities, small towns and rural outside of any population center. I have never seen an overall "hatred" of large cities in any of them. I have seen plenty of people who hate LIVING in large cities, but that is far different than hating the city just because of it's size. Could it be you are being too sensitive to notice the difference?

Old 02-03-2013, 01:20 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Although I'm originally from a major metropolitan area I generally hate big cities and the people in them. Why? It's very simple. For the last thirty years they've been ridiculing people from rural areas and generally treating us as ignorant hicks regardless of profession, income, or education. Remember Obama's famous, "They cling to their guns and their religion." (I may not have the exact words)? That's how the vast majority of them think. Why wouldn't, why shouldn't we hate and despise them as they do us?

I use big cities when necessary but I spend as little time as possible there as I feel as if I'm on another planet just as they use rural areas when they wish to eat but have spent little or no time in rural areas. The divide in this country is between urban and rural; it widens year by year.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:30 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Although I'm originally from a major metropolitan area I generally hate big cities and the people in them. Why? It's very simple. For the last thirty years they've been ridiculing people from rural areas and generally treating us as ignorant hicks regardless of profession, income, or education. Remember Obama's famous, "They cling to their guns and their religion." (I may not have the exact words)? That's how the vast majority of them think. Why wouldn't, why shouldn't we hate and despise them as they do us?

I use big cities when necessary but I spend as little time as possible there as I feel as if I'm on another planet just as they use rural areas when they wish to eat but have spent little or no time in rural areas. The divide in this country is between urban and rural; it widens year by year.
So, you hate urban people because you think that they hate you? Maybe part of the antagonism starts off with the rural people hating city people and then getting hated back. You get back what you put out into the world and people should just stop hating if they want to make this world a better place. Hating on city people doesn't make things better, it makes things worse and if anything widens that gap you seem to bemoan.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
quote]
Hating on city people doesn't make things better, it makes things worse and if anything widens that gap you seem to bemoan.
"Hating on" I've never seen that construction before but everyone in my area uses Standard English. Is that construction peculiar to the grammar of some urban dialect?

Why would I bemoan the growing gap between urban and rural? I prefer freedom to social homogeneity. Rural America has become the home of freedom.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:40 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Hating them, makes perfect sense. Face it, a lot of people are forced to live near cities out of pure survival. They might like to live in a rural area, but the lack of good paying jobs in rural areas makes that difficult. Just consider the number of people who head for the country on a weekend and that tells you where they'd rather live. by that I mean the large number of people who have second homes, RV's etc in rural areas.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Quote:
Remember Obama's famous, "They cling to their guns and their religion." (I may not have the exact words)?
You don't. He was giving a pep talk to campaign workers and pointing out that PA blue collar voters were cynical about the government and to be patient and respectful.
They'd been let down too many times. Every administration for the past 20 years has said they were going to re-grow their communities. And they didn't. So you can't be surprised when people get bitter and cling to their guns or religion or anti-immigrant sentiment.
Obama nailed it exactly. Whether you vote for the man or not, this was an understanding of a perception, not a denigration of people.

To the original question, I guess I've been on this earth entirely too many years to make blanket statements about people. Because they'll always prove me wrong.

Quote:
"Hating on" I've never seen that construction before but everyone in my area uses Standard English.
Must be all those rich (city) folks, with their shiny ranches, you have up there in NW WY! lol
I certainly won't say most people in rural America speak like hillbillies, but a great many do.

"Hating on" is a generational vernacular. Like using "cool" to describe things that are not even remotely related to temperature, or erhmagerd, or any number of other examples.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Lived in both, don't "hate" either. Both have their good points and both have their faults. I prefer a quiet rural area now.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times
I think a lot of antagonism stems from the fact that city people either can not or will not realize and accept that the way of life that is normal and acceptable for them does not apply to anyone outside the metropolitan area. They have the greater numbers although the smaller land mass, yet they feel that they can request laws and policies that curtail the rights and freedoms of non-urban people. The practice of "might makes right" does not make many friends.

Rural people don't want to tell urban people how to live or force them to live the same way, they just want to be allowed to live the way they always have with the same rights and freedoms that allow them to do so.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
"Hating on" I've never seen that construction before but everyone in my area uses Standard English. Is that construction peculiar to the grammar of some urban dialect?

Why would I bemoan the growing gap between urban and rural? I prefer freedom to social homogeneity. Rural America has become the home of freedom.
Okay. You could have made your point without making fun of the way I talk. That was just immature. Not everyone was raised to speak like a news anchor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living