Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:36 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,596,028 times

Advertisements

I thought that some of the recent threads really tie into the larger issue of how garbage is handled in your neck of the woods.

In my current small town we HAVE TO buy colored garbage bags at the local grocery. Each small town in the area is assigned a different color, so the county dump knows by how many colored bags they have how much to charge the towns. We can take some recycling to the city garage, but less common stuff like corregated cardboard and aluminum foil is supposed to go in the colored bags. Using so much plastic creeps me out, but that's what we HAVE TO do - we're fined if we don't use the bags.

In a couple of the small towns where I've lived people are supposed to use a community dumpster.

On the Farm where I live seasonally we use a burn barrel (except when there's a burn ban). It's probably (ok, definitely) terrible for the air, but it's tradition and if I didn't use the burn barrel I'd have to cart the garbage to the dump, which is really far away. There's also a brush pile for, well, brush - and bigger garbage.

The above is why some country people have so much trash on their property - they don't want to bother to cart garbage to the dump, and either can't afford to or don't want to pay someone to pick it up for them. So they'll use it as landfill or burn it, and stuff blows away.

In fact you sometimes see pickers going through people's old landfills/brush piles to pick out metal which can be sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 03:47 AM

45,315 posts, read 60,489,441 times
In Calvert County, MD the two municipalities contract with a trash company (currently both Towns use the same one after competitive bidding) which is required by ordinance. The fee is a special assessment on the residential property tax bill. Commercial businesses are required to contract with a private hauler since most have dumpsters.

In the unincorporated areas of the County residents may either contract with a hauler or take their trash to one of several "Convenience Centers" located throughout the County. These also take, in addition to household trash, recycling, fluoro tubes, oils, batteries, computers and other electronics. Residents also have the option of taking their trash to the County transfer station, although that can entail a tipping fee depending on the trash involved. The operation costs for these are assessed on property tax bills.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,116 times
In the Town of Floyd there is curbside pick up of garbage for residences and businesses but in the rest of the County of Floyd we have to haul our own to small dumpsters located around the county, mostly on main roads. There are also some locations for a bit of recycling of newspaper, cardboard, aluminum cans, clear glass and # 1 and 2 plastic only.

But when I take my garbage to the dumpsters I see plenty of recyclables tossed in with the regular garbage - seems like most people here can't be bothered to separate the stuff. It doesn't help that the recycling huts are not all in the same locations as the dumpsters so it does mean an additional stop to recycle.

there are times when I wish I could just wheel it all to the end of the driveway and someone would come by and pick it up but most of the time I'm happy that I can get rid of stuff at and time of the day or night, whenever it suits me.

Just ONCE did I make the mistake of loading a lot of garbage in my Suburban on a hot summer afternoon, going back in the house for something, getting distracted by a couple of phone calls and forgetting about the load of dog poop and other stinky stuff in the closed up vehicle. The next morning when I went out I realized and had to leave all the doors and windows open for 20 minutes before I could drive just 1 mile to the local dumpsters.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
We have trash pick up at the road once per week.

It is paid on our taxes....about $120 per year.

We are about 35 miles from town.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 AM

797 posts, read 1,343,457 times
On my dairy farm in MN we had no trash pickup.

Where I live now we do---------$48 for 3 months and they furnish the garbage container on wheels.

( regarding asking them what time they pick up )-----------they stated on the phone..." have your garbage at the road by 7:am as that is the time we start and we rotate our routes in your area weekly.

Sometimes they have come as early as 8:30, sometimes as late as 2m

Doesn't bother me .

I always take my garbage cart back home when they are done.

Who in the world leaves an empty garbage container at the road for days.

Lazy ?

Old 03-06-2013, 06:22 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,247 times
They have trash service if you want to pay for it, but most people just use burn barrels here. We separate our trash. Recyclables, burnable and neither (which we haul in to the dump).

Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 PM

8,047 posts, read 12,758,913 times
Free county dump stations. There are dump stations where you can throw out garbage located throughout the county. If they didn't have these and people had to pay I suspect there would be a lot of slobs dumping alongside the roads.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
When I lived in NC, we just took it too the dump.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
On Cape Cod we have an option to pay private companies pick up curbside or we tote our trash to the towns transfer station. There is a yearly sticker to buy and we are weighed and charged. Recycling is a free dump since the town makes money when they sell it. Sadly not enough people recycle so there is a pay as you throw plan in the works where we would need to buy approved trash bags to bring to the transer station.
In my old town off Cape there is a weekly curbside pickup for a fee of $250 per year. Recently they are trying to push recycling as well so the trashs guys won't pickup unless there is a approved recycling tote alongside the trash.
We recycle as much as possible. I don't know why more people don't do it. We are helping to save the planet and also save a bit of money.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:42 AM

122 posts, read 337,385 times
I reside in a government gulag for Seniors or the Disabled. We're supposed to use plastic bags and then run those sealed bags out to the barrels. Attendants and handlers of the feeble don't read the lease so, they dump loose trash to be scattered everywhere. Then there is a mentally challenged individual who throws something away that he shouldn't have. He'll tear through all the plastic bags trying to find the item, making a mess without a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living