Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 02:39 PM

61 posts, read 115,807 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering relocating, VA as a possibility. We live in upstate New york and our local economy has very little to offer. She is a certified NYS teacher but cannot find a job anywhere. Has anyone relocated from New York to another state? How did it go? Where would anyone recommend we go...keep in mind she is a teacher..and we would like to stay within 8 hrs of the binghamton ny area. Any tips would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
I relocated from NYS through Iowa to the Harrisburg PA area for economic reasons. I'm not a teacher though.

I understand that metro northern VA districts recruit from places such as SUNY Cortland, but given that you posted this in the "rural and small town living" sub-forum you might not be interested in edge city sprawl of Loudoun or Prince William counties in VA.

Some of the suburban school districts around Harrisburg PA seem to advertise locally at least for teacher openings vs. having teacher layoffs. Coming from NY State you would be familiar with the concept of school districts having hyper-local rather than county basis.

Possibly some areas where gas service firms are moving families in, vs. just the itinerant drilling and pipeline workers, might be seeing enough growth to be hiring teachers - and might also offer enough town that they are not totally swamped with the highest rental price spikes. Williamsport, PA area comes to mind as an example.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Well now is a good time to start looking. Teacher contract renewals are coming up and soon the schools will put out their "teacher needed" lists for next year.

First find out what she needs to do to be able to teach in the state.
Then start scouring the ISD websites.

I would suggest that getting a job be the highest priority at first. You can always rent for a year or two while waiting for a better teacher opening in a district where you want to eventually settle into.

From your post it sounds like your wife getting a job is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living