Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I have lived in Oklahoma for a number of years, and have never, not one moment, been bored! The thing that bothers me is the heat.
Yes. That's the worst part of Oklahoma to me as well. The stinkin' heat and humidity.

Yes, the Unitarian Church in Tulsa...All Souls...has one of the largest Unitarian congregations in the USA. It was founded in 1921.

Quote:
There's also quite a few atheists who live in Oklahoma, as well as satanists.
Well, I don't happen to believe in gods myself, though I admit I could be wrong. But while I try to have basic respect for everyone's beliefs, I never could take Satanists seriously, even though there's a pretty wide divergence of thought within Satanism, just as with any religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
That makes me wish there was one where I live. I could go for that.
Stillwater has had a Unitarian church for many years.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Stillwater has had a Unitarian church for many years.
Yet another reason to have my own transportation.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 AM

People traveling on I-35 might like to exit at Guthrie and see its downtown. Many of the stores have been restored to look like they did a 100 years ago. Also the Scottish Rites Temple, which is one of the biggest ones in America, is unusual for a small town to have.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
I just read that Heavener Runestone state park isn't a state park anymore due to lack of funding. That's so sad! For you Okies on the forum, how is the runestone being protected from vandalism now?

I also just remembered the very coolest thing in OK - Ed Galloway's totem pole park near Foyil.

I so LOVE places like this throughout America. What would we do without the dreamers and crazies among us?

Old 06-29-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I just read that Heavener Runestone state park isn't a state park anymore due to lack of funding. That's so sad! For you Okies on the forum, how is the runestone being protected from vandalism now?

I also just remembered the very coolest thing in OK - Ed Galloway's totem pole park near Foyil.

I so LOVE places like this throughout America. What would we do without the dreamers and crazies among us?
I don't know. I went to see it once and the pretty scenery around there.

Oklahoma Republicans now rule. They believe in smaller government and cutting taxes. So I'm not surprised giving up some state parks is seen as one way to accomplish smaller government.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:54 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Oh my gosh! This thread reminded me of how much I loved Oklahoma and inspired me to look on-line at houses for sale in the area where I used to live. Lots of cute houses for sale at reasonable prices! Then I took a look at a website (competitor to CD, sorry Mod) which shows meth lab arrests over the past 10 years. To search this site you just enter the name of the town, and the state, and a bar graph shows up with addresses of meth lab arrests listed below (if any). OMG there were SO many meth lab arrests in that small town over the past 5 years, it was shocking! So sad, what happened, Oklahoma? Well, I know what happened.

This thread really belongs in the OK forum, but we should start a thread discussing the problem of meth in small towns. It is so so so sad and depressing.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Oklahoma Republicans now rule. They believe in smaller government...
They might claim to be for smaller government, but of course that is just a bunch of dishonest BS and empty rhetoric. Anyone with eyes can see that the neocon right/GOP all across the country are every bit as much into Big Government, Big Brother nanny-state crapola as the Dems; it just comes in different forms.

Quote:
Oh my gosh! This thread reminded me of how much I loved Oklahoma and inspired me to look on-line at houses for sale in the area where I used to live. Lots of cute houses for sale at reasonable prices! Then I took a look at a website (competitor to CD, sorry Mod) which shows meth lab arrests over the past 10 years. To search this site you just enter the name of the town, and the state, and a bar graph shows up with addresses of meth lab arrests listed below (if any). OMG there were SO many meth lab arrests in that small town over the past 5 years, it was shocking! So sad, what happened, Oklahoma? Well, I know what happened.

This thread really belongs in the OK forum, but we should start a thread discussing the problem of meth in small towns. It is so so so sad and depressing.
It is a pity. Meth use/addiction is very high in this state, but I'm afraid it is fairly similar nationwide. One of the sad aspects to the increase in the use and manufacture of meth is that it has really overtaken a lot of smaller, more rural towns...towns that once could have been like Mayberry.

Part of it, of course, is just the potential for profit. Another is that some kids in smaller, rural towns feel like they don't have enough access to excitement or other cultural activities, so they can easily fall into meth use (or alcoholism or prescription drug abuse, etc.) just for "something to do."

In many states, the rural, non-metro areas are swarming with meth labs.

Oklahoma is also #1 for per capita prescripton drug misuse/abuse...things like Oxycontin, Xanax, etc....your painkillers, benzodiazapines and so on.

I work for the State of Oklahoma and am closely involved with people in the grips of various addictions. My wife also works for the state in Mental Health and Substance Abuse. We both see a lot of tragedy and ruined lives and families firsthand.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
This thread reminded me of how much I loved Oklahoma...

OMG there were SO many meth lab arrests in that small town over the past 5 years, it was shocking! So sad, what happened, Oklahoma?
I'm curious as to where you live now and what small Oklahoma town you are referring to. I don't mean to be nosy; just curious.

Like any state, Oklahoma has its problems, but for every decaying little town or once-charming small town now partially overtaken by meth labs, there are plenty of still-prosperous, still-charming little towns.

I just moved back to Oklahoma after 8 years away living in three different states. I've lived in several states in my life, but I am glad to be back in Oklahoma (just want to move out of OKC as soon as possible!)

The older I get, the more I want to live in the country or in a nice little town.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,128 times
Tell me which is a good place to live in small, cute and holiday festival?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living