U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 AM

13,731 posts, read 26,235,982 times

Advertisements

Even if you can find an IT job in a fairly rural area, if you lose that job, you probably lose the only job for hundreds of miles around. Just a thought.
That said, I imagine the best chance would be a good-sized university town that isn't too close to major cities. Or maybe a long commutte to, say, San Antonio.
Obviously, the best thing would be to have the kind of skills that you could work from home. However, if you can do it from home, couldn't someone elsewhere in the world, or have I been watching too much CNN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 02:44 PM

371 posts, read 1,843,275 times
"I've got a B.S. from a state University in an IT related field and I'm an Air Force veteran."

You are or should be describing Albquerque, New Mexico. VERY BIG for veterans and IT people. My husband is in IT and would love to get a government job because they pay so well, but most are offered up to the vets first (as they should be).

There are several rural communities in and around Albuquerque. We live in a town that's about 35 minutes to the city through the canyon. We have 2 acres. Our taxes are around six hundred a year (no kidding!!). Our house cost us $195,000. Very cheap! Our house is 1600 square feet, with 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths.

"Low cost of living and a low tax burden. I expect to take a huge pay cut moving from D.C. to just about anywhere in the country."

If you get a goverment job you will probably make more than enough to live comfortably here.

"A decent climate is a plus. The warmer, the better (I like to run outside every day)."

Just check out the New Mexico board, specifically Albquerque. The weather is awesome and we love it! We are from Illinois, but natives to upstate New York. We had looooooooooong winters. It is in the upper 50s today, with loads of sunshine.

Good luck on your decision and welcome to the Land of Entrapment (if you do decide to come).

Old 03-04-2008, 06:57 PM

10 posts, read 30,759 times
Quote:
I hate cities. Every city I've been to from Venice to San Francisco to D.C. to Berlin I have hated (except Florence Italy). I'm not too keen on the suburbs either (even worse in my opinion). I need to get out of here.
Visiting the Region of Waterloo

The first poster needs to move to Waterloo...home of "Research in Motion" The blackberry people. You can even take your horse and buggy to work. I moved here from Toronto 2 years ago and never looked back.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:06 AM

27,236 posts, read 42,006,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Even if you can find an IT job in a fairly rural area, if you lose that job, you probably lose the only job for hundreds of miles around. Just a thought.
That said, I imagine the best chance would be a good-sized university town that isn't too close to major cities. Or maybe a long commutte to, say, San Antonio.
Obviously, the best thing would be to have the kind of skills that you could work from home. However, if you can do it from home, couldn't someone elsewhere in the world, or have I been watching too much CNN?
Wouldn't you be THE go-to guy for any business in the area? How about an IT job at an ISP for the area?

Old 03-05-2008, 07:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 52,339,241 times
I would also suggest New Mexico. 45 min from Albuquerque or Las Cruces covers a huge amount of empty land. If I were in your field I would look at New Mexico Tech in Socorro. You could commute from Magdalena.

I am an environmental scientist, as well as a vietnam vet, and I am looking at that area, among other places, for a working retirement.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:20 PM

116 posts, read 419,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice13610 View Post
"Rural area for IT professionals?"

To me, this says "Rural areas that have IT jobs that are at least 2 hours from a major city," not "A semi-suburban area where you can purchase some amount of land but still be within driving distance of a decently-sized city, about 45 minutes away, to be precise."

I know you said "45 minutes to a sizable IT market," but you still said "rural," which to me, says that you don't even want to work in a city, but an area with IT jobs. They do exist outside of cities, after all, just few and far between.

If you don't mind living 45 minutes away from a city, then the solution seems pretty simple, and I wouldn't think you would need to ask a bunch of forum dwellers such a question.

Make a list of cities in the Midwest, and look at a map.
Well, I grew up in the Suburbs and have lived in the 'burbs or cities my whole life.

My definition of "rural" is a little different than yours I suppose.

I do indeed mean somewhere 45 minutes from a city (in D.C. "45 minutes from the city" is 10 miles and you're still in the heart of the suburbs with sky high home prices) where I can own some land and live in peace and quiet.

Thanks for all of the replies in this thread though.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:16 PM

214 posts, read 929,626 times
I used to work as a software engineer at IBM in Essex Junction, VT. They have a major manufacturing plant there which employ all sorts of high-end IT and Engineering functions, which include lots of advanced degree holders.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 AM

4,139 posts, read 5,474,847 times
I'm living in rural Minnesota, Sebeka specifically. Our population is 660ish and its a wonderful and small community. The Real Green Acres.

Sebeka is fiber optic wired and has enabled the company I work for to exsist here. We have one other development center in another rural area, in the Iron Range of Minnesota too. That one is located in Evelith.

Life here is just perfect. Nature is all around us. I live a few minutes from work but there are several folks commuting from thier small Hobby Farms or other rural communities around the Northern Minnesota area. We are where all the City folks come to get away from the "RAT RACE" of life. There are resorts all around us. We are in the land of 10,000 lakes and that is no exageration. Recreation is second to none. I hear cows mooing as I lay in bed when my window is open. I have not locked my house once and my keys are likely in my ignition. There is no major crime in this area. It's not like we are lacking anything either, the schools are excellent.

Wal-Mart is a 20 minute drive from here but we do have a Country Market for those forgotten items or day to day needs. Hey the local cafe is better than driving to McDonalds 20 minutes away, your health can only get better. No traffic jams, no rush hour. The stress level is greatly reduced.

Let me know if you want to know more about us.... CrossUSA, working in rural America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living