Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:57 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times

Advertisements

This is a major gripe of mine living in the boonies. Yes I know, I CHOSE to live in the boonies, no one put a gun to my head, but one thing I'm noticing is that a LOT of companies refuse to ship to a post office box. That makes no sense to me, especially when often-times they don't use UPS or FedEx (which would explain why somewhat if that were the case).

I don't think my choosing to live in the boonies & then complaining about this difficulty is the same as, for instance, someone living in Alaska or Hawaii & complaining about higher shipping costs or people refusing to ship anywhere but the 48 states. Having a post office box actually is an attempt to make things easier for such shippers, as our homes can be tricky to find & differentiate from each other--post office boxes make that easier on them, we're willing to make a trip into town to get our mail vs having it right at our doorstep, so as to make it easier on the shipper/seller etc.

Where I live, many people--although not all of them--don't even have a physical mailbox due the very rural nature of the place. Thus it's common for many around here, including myself, to rent to a post office box. It makes a lot of sense too--you don't have to worry about theft (although given the small town nature of the place I wouldn't worry much anyway) or confusion about which house is which, etc, or (in the case of UPS etc) having to be home else it's taken back to the processing warehouse, etc.

It wouldn't bother me so much, except UPS & FedEx have a DEVIL of a time finding me, yet they easily could if they'd utilize one great tool--GPS coordinates. I've actually shared my GPS coordinates (converted to a "clickable" Android Google Maps link) with others & it took them right to my home, dead-on. When I've run my coordinates by entering them into a Garmin Nuvi, again--dead-on accuracy. If I, a "normal" person can do that, surely FedEx and UPS, being companies in the business of delivering anywhere however rural or whatever, can do that, it would make everything so much easier.

Observations?

LRH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
For the same reason some will not send to addresses other than address on billing with card charges.. They have been burn too often.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
That's one of the things I like about living in a really small town. We don't have residential mail delivery (other than a couple of streets at the edge of town serviced by the rural carrier) so everybody has a PO box. So there's no way the USPS is going to deliver anything to my house, but because everybody who works at the Post Office knows everybody in town, I can put my physical address and it will go to my PO Box anyway.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
I have the same problem. I just go to their competitor, easy fix. Been doing that for years.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
My choice is either to use a carrier to the house or to a business. I found out that shipping to a commercial address can be cheaper, so I cheerfully have things sent to one of my friends' businesses.

Our local driver delivers to the school if there is something going on there. He knows he'll catch many of his customers and not have to drive half the county.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Have you tried using the physical address of the Post Office where your box is located?
I have no need to do it so can't say it works but have had others tell me it worked for them.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:56 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Some post offices are allowing (you have to set it up with them) for a 'physical address' delivery to your PO box. I live in an area where some people have to have PO boxes and some only have them because they want them. I have a PO box and a house that does get mail. I have my name on file with my PO, I use thier street address for UPS, Fed-Ex or just USPS for those deliveries I don't want to come to my home.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:50 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
I use a UPS PO box.

No issues.

I think it's actually the USPS which won't accept deliveries from 'competitors'

Old 06-28-2013, 12:00 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
It would be similar to a situation where one of the other lumber yards at the other end of town would want to have a shipment of special order siding delivered to our yard because it is closer to the customer's home. Use our facilities, but we get nothing out of it.

And people complain the USPS is inefficient and losing money, but then want them to do additional things, usually expecting them to do it for free.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:07 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
It would be similar to a situation where one of the other lumber yards at the other end of town would want to have a shipment of special order siding delivered to our yard because it is closer to the customer's home. Use our facilities, but we get nothing out of it.

And people complain the USPS is inefficient and losing money, but then want them to do additional things, usually expecting them to do it for free.
No it's not.

When you buy/rent a PO box you PAY FOR using that address.

Wholly dissimilar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living