Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 01:36 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times

Advertisements

It's a mistake to look for a town full of friendly people. People are friendly sometimes and not other times. They're friendly to some people and not to other people. Whether they're friendly to you depends partly on what they know about you and partly on their mood. They might be friendly when you first meet them and not friendly at all once they start to get to know you. Or vice versa.

When looking for a small town to move to, just look for real estate you like, which is convenient to your work or whatever, and don't worry about the people who live in that town. You can't get to know them in one day, so it's not helpful to base your decisions on your initial impression of them. Instead, look for things like crime statistics, the local economy, the terrain, the climate, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 12:29 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
It's a mistake to look for a town full of friendly people. People are friendly sometimes and not other times. They're friendly to some people and not to other people. Whether they're friendly to you depends partly on what they know about you and partly on their mood. They might be friendly when you first meet them and not friendly at all once they start to get to know you. Or vice versa.

When looking for a small town to move to, just look for real estate you like, which is convenient to your work or whatever, and don't worry about the people who live in that town. You can't get to know them in one day, so it's not helpful to base your decisions on your initial impression of them. Instead, look for things like crime statistics, the local economy, the terrain, the climate, etc.

Exactly. As a general rule, the better the local economy the better the local mood.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:32 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Check out Mayberry, N.C. Everybody knows each other, they all get together after church and sing songs, eat ice cream together. Even the town drunk Otis is dearly loved. Now the deputy there, a guy named Fife, can be a little high strung at times but he's harmless. And for good fried chicken, check out Aunt Bee's, never disappoints!

Old 01-03-2017, 08:41 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:

bingo !

I read a paperback of a guy who checked out the people in sparsely populated areas.
His conclusion was all were very friendly to outsiders but didn't get along with each other.

So, your first impression ( as an outsider) would be that they are friendly.

Once you are a resident, it might change.

The author also said if you want anonymity, get an upstairs sleeping room in New York City.

Once you move to a friendly small town people will know everything about you and your past.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:07 PM

711 posts, read 688,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

Once you move to a friendly small town people will know everything about you and your past.
And what they don't know, they'll make up.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Way to go Phorlan ...

insult a substantial portion of the USA population of which you apparently know nothing except to get into name calling.

But keep clinging to that condescending superiority complex and live in your bubble doing all the rest of us a favor ... by heading to the NorthEast. You've insulted those people, too ... with your categorizing them as having the same bigoted views as you.
I hold to strong political beliefs and have no reservations about defending them (in a civil manner) when the subject comes up, but that doesn't have to be a major impediment in choosing where to live.

I'm 67, semi-retired but looking for not-too-stressful work whenever I can find it; I divide my time between two Pennsylvania communities of about 2000 population. One is in a rural area with two communities of 20-25,000 within a half-hour's drive; the other is in the more-urbanized southeastern portion of the state, with metros of 150-250,000 within a similar distance. Both towns have Germanic enclaves, similar to my own ethnicity.

I own a house "upstate", but stimulating work opportunities there are hard to find; so I've rented out most of the property, and rent smaller quarters "downstate" -- in an old "Farmer's Hotel" straight out of John O'Hara, with most of the amenities within walking distance; when available, I've worked a variety of "casual" jobs -- theme park, courier, Census clerk, etc. That arrangement also exposes me to a much more diverse world than would be the case if I'd stayed in a backwater -- spent last season at the park with a very "hip" group of international interns, and enjoyed it.

This arrangement might also come in handy if advancing age reduces some of my options, but for now, it's just about everything I could ask for. It also took me several years to "fine-tune" it -- which is something the people looking for "Mayberry towns" also need to recognize.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-03-2017 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-04-2017, 05:54 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
annita 10, frankly these days it's going to be decided by your politics orientation. I'm looking for the same thing, but since I'm a lefty, I'm looking at Maine, Vermont, MA, maybe WA and Oregon, but frankly I want to be with people who have brains, not among Trumptards and that means the North East.
I'm greatly relieved that you are not planning on moving to NH!!! And please don't change your mind. Thank you.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:05 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Very true. When visiting the south, the locals seemed very friendly and their conversation was peppered with many "god bless" etc... but while they were friendly on the outside, I knew that it was surface friendliness (think Facebook friend connections) and none of them were offering to be my best friend.

I believe that it's possible to find warmth and friend anywhere, but do your research. To make real friends, one needs real common interests and life goals. If you have children, then move near to people with children the same age as yours. Or near a church with your same spiritual values. Having common hobbies like gardening, rc airplanes or a group sport helps. And make an effort to be polite and seem willing to blend into their community. Don't move in acting like you want to make changes or that your way is better than theirs. If it's a quiet neighborhood, then don't start off by being loud or blasting your music. If you hear them having target practice in their back yard, then you might want to buy a rifle and do the same.

Once they get to know you and trust you, then show your individuality. But first, show them what you have in common with them.

Another way to bond with your new townsfolk is to go to town meetings, attend local social events and volunteer at their charitable events.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:25 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Very true. When visiting the south, the locals seemed very friendly and their conversation was peppered with many "god bless" etc... but while they were friendly on the outside, I knew that it was surface friendliness (think Facebook friend connections) and none of them were offering to be my best friend.

I believe that it's possible to find warmth and friend anywhere, but do your research. To make real friends, one needs real common interests and life goals. If you have children, then move near to people with children the same age as yours. Or near a church with your same spiritual values. Having common hobbies like gardening, rc airplanes or a group sport helps. And make an effort to be polite and seem willing to blend into their community. Don't move in acting like you want to make changes or that your way is better than theirs. If it's a quiet neighborhood, then don't start off by being loud or blasting your music. If you hear them having target practice in their back yard, then you might want to buy a rifle and do the same.

Once they get to know you and trust you, then show your individuality. But first, show them what you have in common with them.

Another way to bond with your new townsfolk is to go to town meetings, attend local social events and volunteer at their charitable events.
(2nd paragraph)

Yes indeed !

There was a family who moved to a small town of 800 and a few years moved away.
They commented to a neighbor that they never really made friends or felt like they belonged.

Both commuted to work in a city of 70,000 .....30 miles away.
Their 2 pre school age children were dropped off at Grandma for daycare in the city where they worked.
They stated they never bought groceries or gas in their town of 800 because it was cheaper in the city they commuted to.

They never attended any church, belonged to no organizations, and attended no school athletic games in the town they lived in.

As you stated, they had no common interests with anyone in their hometown.
How did they expect to make friends ?

Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Exactly. As a general rule, the better the local economy the better the local mood.
Also, places can change in makeup of residents. What was once provincial might become broader-based, what was once friendly turn cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living