Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 01:51 AM

222 posts, read 470,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I love the summers when I can open all of my windows and let the resident whip-por-wills and frogs lul me to sleepl
I see you live in Kentucky. That's one state I haven't been to. Is it real hot in the summer? Does it get humid? It sounds quiet where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Usually it is very quiet at night in the small town I live in. Last night though the tree frogs were getting their funky on I guess and it was LOUD. Those buggers were pinging the sound meter on my phone at 45dB.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:24 PM

708 posts, read 1,059,489 times
I live in a town home community. It's surprisingly quiet for so many people around.Sometimes you hear a loud car,or when the wind is right you can hear the nearby highway.Otherwise,like I said,surprisingly quiet.And tranquil.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I'm on the edge of the city, with woods to the north, farmland just north of the woods, and woods to the west where my road dead-ends. My few neighbors are pretty quiet people.

Right now all I can hear besides my ceiling fan is crickets outside, and they can be noisy! In spring the peepers (frogs) can get noisy too. In the mornings the birds start up at about 5 am. At least in the warmer months. I love it because I know that's when spring is here.

I do hear distant sirens and occasional traffic from the south occasionally, but all the trees around me help deaden the sound.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
I've never measured, but the only sounds I can hear are vehicles passing out at the county road (1/4 mile away, and about half a dozen a day), wildlife, the wind in the grass or through the barbed wire (interesting sound if you've never caught it, btw) and cattle bawling during weaning...
When the wind is right, I can sometimes hear my neighbor's dog barking, 2 miles away, before they let him in for the night.

In the winter, when the wind is still and nothing is out and about, the silence can literally make your ears rings. It's weird.
Kind of like how your eyes are when you're in a cave and they shut off the lights.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:39 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
I very seldom hear vehicles, and yes, it is weird to step outside in the early morning after a snowfall and listen to the silence and see the sunlight sparkling off or the snow. It is almost like the universe is holding it's breath, absorbing the beauty.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:46 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Cows lowing,coyotes yapping,horses neighing and mules braying is about all you hear at myhplace...if the kids will be quiet for a minute that is....coyotes are raising hell tonight too.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:22 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
The Crickets are INCREDABLY LOUD... and those pesky coons and skunks keep coming out about nightfall and making all kinds of noise.
I live in the 14th largest metropolitan area of Canada, and we have the same coons and skunks competing with the crickets to make as much noise as possible. On occasion, we can hear coyotes yipping in the distance.

Then again, we are in the northern part of the city, bordering the municipal airport and a large ravine, so there isn't much noise with the exception of the buzzing of the prop planes. In the summer, they remind me of motorboats in Muskoka.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:40 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I very seldom hear vehicles, and yes, it is weird to step outside in the early morning after a snowfall and listen to the silence and see the sunlight sparkling off or the snow. It is almost like the universe is holding it's breath, absorbing the beauty.
That's how I felt when I lived in the mountains of No. Idaho. We had 20 acres of forest land and our closest neighbors were about 1/4 mi. away on each side. It was so quiet up there with just the birds and breeze in the pines. In winter it was beautiful and the 'silence' is amazing.

Where I live now is amazingly quiet considering the neighborhood. I live in the same neighborhood I lived as a kid. It was much much smaller then, of course, but even as many people as there are now it's really quiet. On one side of me is a family with two big dogs. On the other side is my grandson and family with three big dogs. None of these dogs are barkers and don't bother anyone. They WILL bark with reason but they are so quiet I sometimes wonder if they are even there anymore. Behind me is a large apt. complex and even they are really quiet. I've lived next door to people who let their dogs bark 24/7, and been driven nearly crazy, so I truly appreciate where I live now. Our other neighbors, up and down the street, are pretty quiet as well. The ones across the street have a party now and then but it never gets out of hand.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:29 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Pretty quiet. Usually the loudest noise is usually those crickets, and they can be pretty loud. They other thing is airplanes.. I live maybe 20 miles from PHL (Philadelphia airport), so it's hard to escape that. But it's not too bad. Just stuck my head out the window.. I hear crickets, birds chirping, very faintly hear a dog barking somewhere in the distance. I think the woods to the back of my house produce more noise than the road in front of it, and I like it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living