U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 PM

5,928 posts, read 5,418,746 times

Advertisements

It's time we address this topic folks - if only to counterbalance all of the Mayberry dreaming that fills this forum.

So, this morning I woke up to someone pounding on my door. It was the tweaker daughter of the family 3 doors down from me. She was jiggling back and forth, and said she needed a ride to the next town over, with her bike. That was among other random things she said - she also told me her astrological sign and said that my house is scary. I'm sure her driver's license has been revoked. I know her mother and sister from the place I used to work, and I know her story, but I've never even talked to her before. So, whataryagonna do? I said I'd take her - but by the time I had put clothes on and gotten my head together she had disappeared.

I live in a town of 965 people, and used to work in a neighboring town of about 2000. I've been told which three men to stay away from because they are kingpins in the meth trade route from Canada - one of them is a city councilman. Could just be rumor, but . . . Meth is everywhere in Northern MN. It's in the pretty lake communities where rich people have summer homes, and it's in the mining towns.

The children of meth addicted parents wander the streets at night with no coats on. Some of them have major personality disorders, others are so sweet and clingy it breaks your heart. There are trailers and houses in the country which have either burned down or are unlivable because meth was cooked in them.

For a time I was looking for a new home in Iowa. I found a really beautiful house in a small Iowa town - historic, gorgeous built-ins, etc. But in a DM one of the posters here on CD who lives near that town warned me that that area has a terrible meth problem (no, I hadn't even mentioned the topic of meth.) She also told me of other towns in her area where crime is drastically increasing because of meth. She sent me a link to an article about one town I was considering - there was a recent home invasion - tweakers broke into the rural home of some elderly people.

According to the statistics I've been looking at, Minnesota has a much lower problem with meth than many other states. It seems worst around Indiana/Illinois/Iowa/Missouri/Oklahoma. I used to live in Oklahoma and really loved it. I looked up the town where I used to live on a website which lists meth lab arrests over the past ten years (I can't link to the website here because it is a competitive website with CD, but just google "list of seized meth labs" and you'll find the site). It is SHOCKING how many meth lab arrests there have been in that one town of about 6000. And that's the LAB arrests, not the arrests of users. And that's the arrests, not all of the stuff going on that the police/sheriff don't find.

There's so much more to say on this topic, but I just wanted to get the conversation rolling.

Be honest. Do you know about meth in your town/rural area? What affect has meth had there? Why do you think this terrible plague has overtaken us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:17 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,330,587 times
I don't think it has really over taken us. Some places have it much worse than others. I've had the unfortunate experience of being in a relationship with one who became addicted. I have never done it. Had plenty of opportunity, but that 'go fast' feeling is not something I enjoy. I'm naturally energetic so don't need any more.

I've lived in very rural, between the populations 330 to a city (still rural) approx pop. 27,000, Eureka, and known for its meth issues. Currently I'm on the outskirts of a city of 16,000. I'm a bit surprised that there is not a bigger problem with meth here. But apparently, according to the long time locals, the tweakers are in the next county over, which is not too far away. Probably some of those I see in town just came here to shop or 'run errands'.

In one town one would see obvious users mingling about. Then there were the not so obvious users, like the Postmaster. They were never obnoxious, except the ones that steal. It was hard not to know, passively, a user in a town so small. And odds were, if you lived in town you would have something stolen at some point. I once worked with as a healthy and beautiful woman. After no longer working together, it was only once in a while we would cross paths. I'd see her around, and then for a while she was not around. A few years later, I see her. She recognized me, but I did not recognize her until she said her name. She got skinny, her teeth deteriorated and was digging in the trash cans for recyclables. So sad. But I have also seen the reversed.
The community is helpful in many ways. Those known by 'everyone' as addicts, get treatment, stay clean and then end up working for some of the major businesses in town.
Oddly, there are not any labs in the area. I am pretty sure most of the labs are up north in the 'big city'.

Where I am now, tweakers are breaking into storage units. Been here for three years and know 4 people who have had thier unit broken into.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:40 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,902,759 times
According to my friend in Missouri, the problem there is of ridiculous proportions. The small towns are full of zombies with blackened teeth. It's the #1 meth state.

He added that the worst states for meth are the very same ones where marijuana has not been decriminalized. At first I though he was joking, but later I looked at a map of the states with the greatest meth scourge, and he was right! Hmmm...

Old 07-31-2013, 04:40 PM

9,215 posts, read 17,166,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
According to my friend in Missouri, the problem there is of ridiculous proportions. The small towns are full of zombies with blackened teeth. It's the #1 meth state.

He added that the worst states for meth are the very same ones where marijuana has not been decriminalized. At first I though he was joking, but later I looked at a map of the states with the greatest meth scourge, and he was right! Hmmm...
I don't think there's enough data to really draw a correlation. Only 16 states have decriminalized marijuana; and one of them - North Carolina - is among the top 10 in annual meth busts.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:16 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,902,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I don't think there's enough data to really draw a correlation. Only 16 states have decriminalized marijuana; and one of them - North Carolina - is among the top 10 in annual meth busts.
Actually, the number is 20 (19 states +D.C) and NC and OH are the only ones where meth has really taken off. That would be statistically important. I will hold to my original point.

19 Legal Medical Marijuana States and DC - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

And it will be 21 states tomorrow, with Illinois:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/p...,6053984.story

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 07-31-2013 at 07:27 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,457,058 times
I hate to sound like a snob, but I really don't hang around with the meth-using crowd that I know of (this being key, of course). I've known a couple of people I've suspected might be using, but that's about as personal as it gets. And the local paper had a write-up about a bust, two years ago...
So i would have to say, it's not a scourge in our area, from what I've observed.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:02 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,330,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
And it will be 21 states tomorrow, with Illinois:
Quinn to sign medical marijuana bill Thursday - chicagotribune.com
That's interesting. While it does not go into effect until January 1st in Illinois, August 1st is the 17th year anniversary for California's 'takes effect' date. (Voted on the previous November).

I'm not sure what to think about the marijuana and meth thing. But I wonder about the availability of street weed in these meth infested areas.
I've lived in a marijuana rich community, with a noticeable meth problem and those that do speed do all kinds of other drugs and many are also alcoholics. In a nutshell, these people have an addictive personality.
Then there are the pot smokers, who may or may not drink. These people have no desire to expand their list of indulgences.
If marijuana had any kind of impact on a persons decision or desire to not do meth, then that community should not have had such a problem with it. Unless there is a mountain and addictive personality correlation in there someplace.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 PM

14,600 posts, read 12,049,564 times
Ah ...yes. The meth maggots are out here in remote, rural, NV, and they are a plauge. The areas we used to roam in the great big desert, have been moved in on for the cookers. Especially out by the Reservation border and the bazillion acres of BLM land I call my front yard.
Places we used to go to get away from people have become dangerous and unpredictable. Following a cow track road can in desert to see where it might go, can lead somewhere you don't want to see these days. If you see discarded LP tanks, acetone jugs etc tossed about, odds are theres vermin close by. Armed, schizo, high on supply, vermin, with no compunctions about killing to protect there secret base. They are screwwing up my desert, and they need to die!

Can't go ratting alone anymore. Minimum of three, and its a good idea to be heavily armed. Stumbling onto a lab is bad juju. The remotest areas, where the best rock hounding and history hunting are, can be hazardous. I hate meth maggots! What do you do when people like this are hiding out in your hills? Grrrr.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:56 PM

5,439 posts, read 5,269,455 times
The choice of the word "epidemic" is just plainly wrong since most of us can avoid drugs (and people who use drugs, including criminally minded ones), try avoiding real epidemic. Meth use in on the decline in the US. Also the use of the word "rural" is not correct. Rural "lifestyle" is (much) more expensive proposition than small town or city life. It's hard enough for a drug free person to make enough $ to afford rural life and property taxes. Taxes, extra expenses and (much) longer commutes make sure that hard core drug addicts gravitate towards towns and cities, voluntarily or not.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:43 AM

14,600 posts, read 12,049,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
The choice of the word "epidemic" is just plainly wrong since most of us can avoid drugs (and people who use drugs, including criminally minded ones), try avoiding real epidemic. Meth use in on the decline in the US. Also the use of the word "rural" is not correct. Rural "lifestyle" is (much) more expensive proposition than small town or city life. It's hard enough for a drug free person to make enough $ to afford rural life and property taxes. Taxes, extra expenses and (much) longer commutes make sure that hard core drug addicts gravitate towards towns and cities, voluntarily or not.
What do you consider "rural lifestyle"? Your post confuses me. I assure you, most of us, herebouts, are far from, shall we say, ...comfortably wealthy. Our cost of living is not extravagantly high. Rent and property taxes are not bad. Groceries are a bit up tbere at our single supermarket, but a short drive into Carson or Reno solves that. Yet, it is VERY rural here.

I will agree that "epidemic" may be a somewhat incoreect term, so far as use of drugs goes, however, it is quite difficult, at times, to avoid those who do use, and manufacture them. So it's not innapropriate. There is a vaccine for those who are badly afflicted, however. Cranial or center of mass injection of 55 to 230 grains works wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living