Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 08:37 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,886 times

Advertisements

We live in Grand Rapids, MI about three miles from downtown, and all the big city problems. We spent the weekend at a friends house in Clarksville, MI. I asked her about living in a place like that...as much as she likes living in the city she wouldn't mind living in a place like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 02:38 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,693 times
Be careful. Small town living is a way of life, and not for everyone. You pressure, she doesn't like it, who pays?

Old 09-08-2013, 05:51 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
We live in Grand Rapids, MI about three miles from downtown, and all the big city problems. We spent the weekend at a friends house in Clarksville, MI. I asked her about living in a place like that...as much as she likes living in the city she wouldn't mind living in a place like that.

You have some prime picking of great rural areas in central and northern Michigan! The real estate prices aren't bad in places like Gaylord/Grayling, Wolverine, Hawks, Frederic, Lewiston, Mio, etc.

I agree with the previous poster. Do a little research. Check out cell and internet connections, flood zones, traffic, distance to shopping, road conditions, and the like. Country living is great, but can come as a shock if you're used to the conveniences of city amenities.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Be careful. Small town living is a way of life, and not for everyone. You pressure, she doesn't like it, who pays?
I'm not pushing anything, but I think she is starting to realize that not living in the city isn't so bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
You have some prime picking of great rural areas in central and northern Michigan! The real estate prices aren't bad in places like Gaylord/Grayling, Wolverine, Hawks, Frederic, Lewiston, Mio, etc.

I agree with the previous poster. Do a little research. Check out cell and internet connections, flood zones, traffic, distance to shopping, road conditions, and the like. Country living is great, but can come as a shock if you're used to the conveniences of city amenities.
I was thinking more like Byron Center area, that way it isn't more than a half hour from friends, family, and work.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:26 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,693 times
I hope it works out for both of you. I am a country girl, myself, and can live in the city or in town, but am not happy there, and have seen many city or town folks who moved to the country and could not be happy. It is a dramatic change, so try to leave a bolt hole open in case it doesn't work out.

Don't get me wrong, I love the country and can not be happy anywhere else. I don't like to see people move here and not be happy. I quess that is why I hate to see someone move here and wind up hating it. I Really do hope you all find a place that you both can be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living