Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,940,106 times

Advertisements

This question has to do with property insurance but I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question. I live in SK, Canada. I have an acreage 40 min from the nearest city and I'm going away for two months this winter. I have been quoted a price of $3000 to have my private driveway cleared of snow weekly during this period.

If I left my driveway uncleared, and if the house caught fire, and if fire trucks arrived and were unable to access the property because of the deep snow, would I be entirely liable for the damage to the home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 04:18 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,039,430 times
That is a question for your Ins Agent/Company. No one here can honestly answer it.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:33 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,756,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
This question has to do with property insurance but I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question. I live in SK, Canada. I have an acreage 40 min from the nearest city and I'm going away for two months this winter. I have been quoted a price of $3000 to have my private driveway cleared of snow weekly during this period.

If I left my driveway uncleared, and if the house caught fire, and if fire trucks arrived and were unable to access the property because of the deep snow, would I be entirely liable for the damage to the home?

2 months =8 weeks

$3,000 divided by 8= $375 per time.

Very pricey !

Our township plow will plow driveways for $10 a time and wing it out the width of a county road.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:59 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,756,628 times
Seems many seasonal lake cabin owners in MN have no problem with letting the snow pile up all winter.

Some are very nice lake cabins, also.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:40 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,141,538 times
Most insurance policies have exceptions for unoccupied homes.

This is typically defined as you gone for over 6 months AND YOUR POSSESSIONS REMOVED FROM THE HOME.

Check your policy.

Eta: I have no knowledge about Canadian insurance.
Check your policy/ call your agent.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:40 AM

544 posts, read 611,277 times
how is the house going to catch fire in the winter ?

it's probably best not to tell people that you will be gone for 2 months and that your home will be vacant

is there a lot of homes in this area? Doesn't sound like it if they want to charge that much for snow plowing..

I'd just let the snow pile up, all the better to keep people, cars out of your property while your gone.

There's probably a lot more things you could worry about by being gone for 2 months, but if you actually want to enjoy yourself while you're gone, just make 10 trips around your house making sure all the appliances are off, all the doors/windows shut and locked, etc, etc.. And then leave, and tell yourself everything is going to be ok, I'm going to live in the moment, instead of worrying about things that most likely will never happen.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:42 PM

10,057 posts, read 18,126,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
Um, electrical problems, furnace problems, etc. -- unless absolutely everything is turned off.

Quote:
it's probably best not to tell people that you will be gone for 2 months and that your home will be vacant
Definitely good advice.

And as someone else pointed out, $3,000 to plow your driveway seems totally nuts, unless your driveway is miles long and it's going to take them several hours. How on earth did they come up with that figure?

OP, there's no one (friend, neighbor) you can ask to stop by once in a while?

Old 11-11-2013, 11:52 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,437,088 times
Quote:

is there a lot of homes in this area? Doesn't sound like it if they want to charge that much for snow plowing..

I'd just let the snow pile up, all the better to keep people, cars out of your property while your gone.

There's probably a lot more things you could worry about by being gone for 2 months, but if you actually want to enjoy yourself while you're gone, just make 10 trips around your house making sure all the appliances are off, all the doors/windows shut and locked, etc, etc.. And then leave, and tell yourself everything is going to be ok, I'm going to live in the moment, instead of worrying about things that most likely will never happen.
Agree with this. Turn everything off.

How close are you to other homes?

I'm just wondering what concerns there are in terms of the snow piling up and your cars arent there, so the neighbors know you're gone and come rob you.. ..

Do you have relatives or trustworthy neighbors who would be willing to visit your house once a week or every few weeks to shovel and check on it?

Old 11-16-2013, 08:33 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,754,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post

no you would not. what if it caught fire 3 days after they cleared your drive way after there was a blizzard? just make sure to turn off all the appliances and unplug everything before you leave, hell if you were that nervous about it make a freakin video of it for evidence in the rare and super unlikely scenario that a fire does occur. 3000$ to clear someones driveway for 2 months is very CRAZY. i use to pay someone 15$ to clear it once a week....15x8=120$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living