U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 01:09 PM

969 posts, read 1,984,811 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I currently live in Northern VA and have always lived in a city, however I always found small town charming , especially the ones who have a historic feel. My perfect town would be something that mirrors Stars Hollow, yes I know its a fictitious town but that is my dream town. Do you know any towns like that? Help me find my Stars Hollow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 08:45 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,265,473 times
Fayetteville Tennessee. Small town, some unique history, lot of quirky characters, low tax base, some local controversy, and best of all close enough to Huntsville or Nashville when you need to escape and find the real world.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:20 PM

5,932 posts, read 5,428,586 times
Lanesboro, MN.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:39 PM

969 posts, read 1,984,811 times
I will research those 2 towns. Thank you guys, never been to MN or TN, so this will be fun

Old 10-19-2013, 10:50 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,869,934 times
Two great selections !

Old 10-23-2013, 08:53 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,565,619 times
Claremont, CA. It's in LA county. It's got that small town feel with charm.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:18 PM

When you find it, let me know. I think it would be fun to visit fantasy land!

Old 11-02-2013, 05:29 PM

10,942 posts, read 8,894,484 times
Ugh. I'm sorry, but while I think the fictional Stars Hollow has its charms, I have to say that if I lived in a town where everybody knew all my business (what I had for breakfast, who I slept with, etc.), I'd probably put a bullet through my head.

I live out in the boonies but I have one neighbor who has made it his mission to know as much about me as he can (including coming onto my property when I'm not at home, going on-line to see if I've paid my property taxes, and stopping people leaving my place to ask them why they were here). That's just one person; if I had a whole town doing that to some degree or another, I'd probably go postal.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Ugh. I'm sorry, but while I think the fictional Stars Hollow has its charms, I have to say that if I lived in a town where everybody knew all my business (what I had for breakfast, who I slept with, etc.), I'd probably put a bullet through my head.

I live out in the boonies but I have one neighbor who has made it his mission to know as much about me as he can (including coming onto my property when I'm not at home, going on-line to see if I've paid my property taxes, and stopping people leaving my place to ask them why they were here). That's just one person; if I had a whole town doing that to some degree or another, I'd probably go postal.

I understand your feelings on the lack of privacy, but it is just the way of a small town. When you live in a small town everyone usually knows your business before you do. Especially if one has a prolific personality and is loved or at least liked by most everyone. Sometimes small town folks mean well in their attempts to take care of someone, but it can be suffocating.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:43 PM

10,942 posts, read 8,894,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I understand your feelings on the lack of privacy, but it is just the way of a small town. When you live in a small town everyone usually knows your business before you do. Especially if one has a prolific personality and is loved or at least liked by most everyone. Sometimes small town folks mean well in their attempts to take care of someone, but it can be suffocating.
Oh, I understand that some (a lot?) of people might like that about a small town, maybe even find some comfort in it.

I grew up in a small town, moved to the "big city" after high school, and then moved to the 'burbs, where my husband and I and our two little babies lived on a cul-de-sac - where everybody knew everybody else's business.

For me, it was pure torture. I much prefer my privacy and to be left alone and to be able to choose my times that I'm with other people - and not to be having them breathe down my neck 24/7.

And anyone who is familiar with The Gilmore Girls knows that's exactly how the community of Stars Hollow was. Heck, the citizens of SH knew Lorelei's business before Lorelei did! lol

Nope. Not for me.

There are some very small communities around here and I sometimes think, that as I get older, I should maybe consider selling this place in the woods and buy a small house in one of those communities, some place where I could walk to the grocery store or post office and not worry about being snowed in (and everyone else being snowed out), but I just don't think I could do it. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living