Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 01:20 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
.........."assimilate to the character of the neighborhood".....

I laughed so hard I spilled my coffee !

It sounds like if the neighborhood resembles a pig pen you would be offended if anyone doesn't keep theirs the same ?

Yup, a neat person moves in and................" there goes the neighborhood "
Someone here already explained gentrification, if you don't understand what it is. Yes a respectful person would do that - buy in an area that they like as it is. Healthy native trees which provide a buffer of privacy are not messy. I would not buy in a suburb if I didn't like suburban homes. All hell would break loose if you put a tiny home in a Mcmansion neighborhood even if it didn't have a HOA. All hell breaks loose if you put in a butterfly garden or don't use chemlawn.

Assimilate? Yea if I move into an area of drug dens, I better be a druggie or my life will not go well there. So, I may just try to avoid those places. We have zoning limits which people have tried to fight in order to do what you advocate, basically destroy the environment and lifestyle using chainsaws and chemicals - you know, make it "neat". Lots of people lost money on that, thinking they could get rich subdividing. Not happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 01:59 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I must admit really loving the people who plant flowers, and find them consistently gone! There is this one woman, who every year, for the last two years, has planted vegetables, new trees, trying to make her home "perfect", yes, it is...perfectly delicious to deer! She now has fencing around the new trees, and flower beds, fenced over the flowers!

She is now looking at spraying her trees with some sort of deer repellent, and asked SO about it, before we sold his house....we told her, "We love deer, that is why we live here...". Crazy. They move to the sticks for wildlife, then try to get rid of it!

^^^ This is one of my pet peeves about "some" people who move to the country.

When you first meet them they gush about the wildlife. When the wildlife starts leaving droppings on their few acres, eating the hay from the stack they bought for their pleasure horses, eating the flowers and from the garden, and maybe harassing their pets, they start fencing it out. They almost always fence off any water the wildlife may have depended on.

Then, when they no longer see the deer, antelope, coyotes, fox, elk, etc. they accuse "rednecks in the area" of poaching just because they heard some guy and his kids out target shooting within a mile of their place.

Nooo. It's because the newbie drove the wildlife off.

And yet, if they hear a rancher or farmer mention how much hay that herd of 100+ elk devoured in the field, their response is, "Well, they were here firrrrrrst."

Very annoying and there is no educating them on coexistence. Not when it comes to their property.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:00 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
What they do on their own land is none of your business !

They have done nothing off their land to offend you, yet you are obsessed with imagining that they will.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
What they do on their own land is none of your business !

They have done nothing off their land to offend you, yet you are obsessed with imagining that they will.
Certain negative posters are obsessed, they don't even have to deal with it yet they are all riled up. Me, I'm just waiting to see what happens, since I am the one curiously awaiting the arrival of the one closeby neighbor I will have most likely for the duration of my time here. Imagining, no. They aren't even supervising the work being done, there is trash in my yard from the workers. The other neighbor was over there watching, now he is a curious type. He did the same when I moved in, stood around watching asking questions. No such thing as none of your business in a small town. LOL. Once the dust settles, and if they are good neighbors, no one will care again.

I appreciate the input from the those who can empathize with the situation.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:49 PM

914 posts, read 943,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

Not sure if I should go greet them when they arrive or wait and see what their deal is...
Always tough to know with new neighbors, eh? But if YOU were the new kid on the block, you'd want to feel welcomed.

Last time we had new people move in next door, we left them a local white and yellow pages phone book, and a list of phone numbers for garbage service, etc. in the neighborhood. We put it all in a bag and left it on the hood of their truck. We included a Welcome to the Neighborhood card from us.

They are now our best friends in the neighborhood. and the family that had lived there before them...they were the Family From Hell!

So my advice is to reach out, make that effort, make them feel welcome. You just might find a new friend. Remember how it was for you when YOU were the new kid on the block.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:51 PM

914 posts, read 943,101 times
Quote:
The other neighbor was over there watching, now he is a curious type. He did the same when I moved in, stood around watching asking questions. No such thing as none of your business in a small town. LOL. Once the dust settles, and if they are good neighbors, no one will care again.

I appreciate the input from the those who can empathize with the situation.
Boy, isn't THAT the truth, LOL!
I try very hard to stay out of neighborhood gossip, though I imagine there have been a few times when I was the subject of it!
This usually happens at the School Bus Koffee Klatch as I sarcastically refer to it...where all the parents wait at the stop with their kids, and you know they are all gossiping.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:29 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
... I suspect they want the benefits of rural living along with the aesthetics of suburbia...
You say this like it is a bad thing. Sounds nice to me. As long as they don't try to force their views upon others, let them have their fun.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
.........."assimilate to the character of the neighborhood".....

I laughed so hard I spilled my coffee !

It sounds like if the neighborhood resembles a pig pen you would be offended if anyone doesn't keep theirs the same ?

Yup, a neat person moves in and................" there goes the neighborhood "
and Visa Versa... My neighbors from the 'city' have tried to get me to assimilate for many yrs. I'm hopeless in spite of their gallant efforts.

They mow the grass everytime it grows 1/4" (about every 10 minutes in an area with 120" of rain / yr).

Mine... I just go overseas when the weather is rotten and will mow (maybe) if / when I come home. The brushhog is OK 'cosmetics' if necessary (grass is too tall / thick to mow with garden tractor).

It did irk me a bit when they painted all my white top fence posts green, so I (and the cows) could not find the fence in the evenings and early mornings.

But.. I can deal with their quirkiness. I have had LOTS of city folks move next door and do silly stuff like move a few hundred feet of fence one way of the other a few inches, just to 'prove' their rights...

If they move it my way... Less for me to mow. If they move it their way... I get a new fence, that I DIDN"T have to construct. They are very anal about coming out an watching my every move each time I'm near the fenceline with my equipment. As long as they stay on 'their side' I won't run over them, and it has given them the rare opportunity to get off the couch and get outside.

I know they are fuming... I'm just having a little FUN on the Dozer!!

Old 01-31-2014, 07:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Yeah, don't you just hate it when people who take pride in their homes move into your Rednecky neighborhood and start fixing the place all up ????? Pretty soon other people who don't want to shoot their guns at all hours of the night, or drive ATV's up and down the street, or have drunken cookouts around a bonfire will start moving in, and THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD !!! I bet those picky people even have JOBS !!!!!!!

They probably even wear shirts ALL THE TIME, and think it is ok to not have 4 cars sitting up on blocks in their front yard ! I think those kinds of people are called Block Busters, so you better nip it in the bud now before they start parking cars that actually run in their driveways ! After all, you have to protect your Godgiven right to live where you can do whatever you want without worrying about if it offends or endangers the people around you. After all, this is AMERICA !!!!!!!!!!! (Here, hold my beer and watch this !)

Don

Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
and Visa Versa... My neighbors from the 'city' have tried to get me to assimilate for many yrs. I'm hopeless in spite of their gallant efforts.

They mow the grass everytime it grows 1/4" (about every 10 minutes in an area with 120" of rain / yr).

Mine... I just go overseas when the weather is rotten and will mow (maybe) if / when I come home. The brushhog is OK 'cosmetics' if necessary (grass is too tall / thick to mow with garden tractor).

It did irk me a bit when they painted all my white top fence posts green, so I (and the cows) could not find the fence in the evenings and early mornings.

But.. I can deal with their quirkiness. I have had LOTS of city folks move next door and do silly stuff like move a few hundred feet of fence one way of the other a few inches, just to 'prove' their rights...

If they move it my way... Less for me to mow. If they move it their way... I get a new fence, that I DIDN"T have to construct. They are very anal about coming out an watching my every move each time I'm near the fenceline with my equipment. As long as they stay on 'their side' I won't run over them, and it has given them the rare opportunity to get off the couch and get outside.

I know they are fuming... I'm just having a little FUN on the Dozer!!
They painted your fence (vandalized it)? I hear there are nice bright fluorescent paints that could be very visible for a long distance.

One guy I know moved in next to a farmer. The old neighbor used to grow vegetables they would share. One day the guy comes home from work and a huge part of his back yard is plowed out. Farmer expected to still be getting those vegetables.

I don't even know where my property line ends, I think someone has a shed on part of it, no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living