Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 AM

19,421 posts, read 12,063,202 times

Advertisements

The house across the street has been on the market for a while and is sold. I have no idea who bought it. It had been purchased and "rehabbed" by an investor, then resold. It didn't need to be rehabbed, it was quite nice before. It is still empty but the buyer has been sending workers over a lot. My concern is the new owner seems to be doing even more work on the house, including cutting trees and doing some things that seem over the top and out of character for this neighborhood.

People here do not maintain yards as it is wooded. The guy next door shoots whenever he feels like it. And, people here are not picky about things like lawns or having anything generic looking. Some people have campers, work trucks and heavy equipment in their yards. The "rehabbed" house looks like it belongs in a HOA suburb and the new owner seems to be doing more of that kind of thing.

I just hope they checked out the neighborhood well and intend to keep their pickiness to themselves. Now with the trees bare they should have been able to assess things before buying here. Our house is not the nicest in the area but there are worse. We are just crossing our fingers that there are not going to be problems. One time we had a yuppie in the neighborhood that reported people for silly things and the town didn't pay attention to him, but we never want to go through that again.

Not sure if I should go greet them when they arrive or wait and see what their deal is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:37 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The house across the street has been on the market for a while and is sold. I have no idea who bought it. It had been purchased and "rehabbed" by an investor, then resold. It didn't need to be rehabbed, it was quite nice before. It is still empty but the buyer has been sending workers over a lot. My concern is the new owner seems to be doing even more work on the house, including cutting trees and doing some things that seem over the top and out of character for this neighborhood.

People here do not maintain yards as it is wooded. The guy next door shoots whenever he feels like it. And, people here are not picky about things like lawns or having anything generic looking. Some people have campers, work trucks and heavy equipment in their yards. The "rehabbed" house looks like it belongs in a HOA suburb and the new owner seems to be doing more of that kind of thing.

I just hope they checked out the neighborhood well and intend to keep their pickiness to themselves. Now with the trees bare they should have been able to assess things before buying here. Our house is not the nicest in the area but there are worse. We are just crossing our fingers that there are not going to be problems. One time we had a yuppie in the neighborhood that reported people for silly things and the town didn't pay attention to him, but we never want to go through that again.

Not sure if I should go greet them when they arrive or wait and see what their deal is...
No offense intended, but you need a hobby...

Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,392,667 times
I hate the processed, suburban look too.

You should greet them when they come. But be neutral and not all "So I noticed you're wrecking the neighborhood by moving here..."

Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Kind of hard not to notice trees coming down and loud beeping trucks all day, it isn't just me, I'm just the closest one. Some of us appreciate our rural neighborhood character, thought that was the point of this forum.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:14 AM

6,743 posts, read 8,521,419 times
I understand you concern, and it is probably with good reason, however, they have the right to keep their property as they want it.
They just don't have the right to tell others what they should do.

I agree, if they are investing the money to make the property into just another suburban McMansion, they will probably start in by telling the neighbors how their properties bring down the value of their new home.

I would meet them, you need to gather intel on potential threats after all, be cordial, don't volunteer much, just see how the wind blows.

I've seen the same thing all too often, so you have my sympathy. I don't see any way around it as they can say what they want and do what they want. The only thing is they will probably start trouble right off with the neighbors, create unnecessary battles, try to divide the current residents and in general, raise all kinds of hell. Nothing you say or do will make any difference to them.

When they start just be firm and polite and tell them their concerns are not yours and you want no part of their "beautification" program.

Good Luck.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:29 AM

20,058 posts, read 18,241,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
I second this!

People complain about the strangest things!

Old 01-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I understand you concern, and it is probably with good reason, however, they have the right to keep their property as they want it.
They just don't have the right to tell others what they should do.

I agree, if they are investing the money to make the property into just another suburban McMansion, they will probably start in by telling the neighbors how their properties bring down the value of their new home.

I would meet them, you need to gather intel on potential threats after all, be cordial, don't volunteer much, just see how the wind blows.

I've seen the same thing all too often, so you have my sympathy. I don't see any way around it as they can say what they want and do what they want. The only thing is they will probably start trouble right off with the neighbors, create unnecessary battles, try to divide the current residents and in general, raise all kinds of hell. Nothing you say or do will make any difference to them.

When they start just be firm and polite and tell them their concerns are not yours and you want no part of their "beautification" program.

Good Luck.
True, I couldn't care less what they do with their property, they can cut down every tree, not my business.

Maybe it is nothing and they won't bother anyone and can live in their one-house HOA wannabe subdivision. It's just an odd choice. There are many fine subdivisions in the area for that type of taste. I suspect they want the benefits of rural living along with the aesthetics of suburbia. If they can keep on their lot, good enough. They will be a lone duck though.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,726,363 times
Is this a first ?

Most posts from homeowners are from those that are scared the run down house in the area will bring down the property values.

Here it is the opposite.
Seems folks are scared that the one kept up home might increase their property value.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Is this a first ?

Most posts from homeowners are from those that are scared the run down house in the area will bring down the property values.

Here it is the opposite.
Seems folks are scared that the one kept up home might increase their property value.
I take it you don't live in a rural area. It isn't about property values, but those other values. People move to these areas and want to change them and the other residents do not want that. Maybe we prefer lower property values because it isn't about the money. That's why some people I know hang on to farm land rather than selling to developers.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:51 PM

34,252 posts, read 19,254,567 times
Shrug....how exactly do you think they will try and force their values on you? Its not like your neighbors are going to want to be part of a HOA. LOL.

Look at it this way, if they come out, convince your neighbors to all be like them, you can sell your house at a huge profit, and find another place to live how you wish-with more money. Maybe buy a larger tract of land to keep people like this at bay.

Odds are they're in for a shock as soon as the one neighbor starts firing off his gun. LOL. Much like the shock of my new neighbors who built their house next to the train tracks thinking they were abandoned because they never saw trains go by during the day. hahahaha. OMG that was funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living