Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:57 PM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times

Advertisements

I have lived in CT all my life, as has most of my family. For just as long I have dreamed of owning a farm, or at least property with land, which is something I believe I will never be able to afford in CT. I have always hated winter but I do love the outdoors so I really struggle with continuing to be active when it's snowy, and the past 5-7 winters have just held on forever it seems.

Up until a few years ago, I didn't even realize that some states do and do not tax retirement income so I have another reason for wanting to leave. Capital gains tax is another thing I need to think of.

I am now 52 and still very active. Pretty much all I want to do with my free time is work on my house and mountain bike. I have many friends in their 60s and 70s still riding (and racing!) so I expect to be doing this for quite some time.

I saw a thread back in March and this would be similar in that it's an upsize, not downsize. I am currently in a 1440 sq ft house and don't really care about the size of any house where I move, except I do want land (space from people) and outbuildings. Both of us are interested in cars and would love the space to work on what we have or at the very least, keep them under cover.

I would prefer to stay east as the majority of our families are in the northeast. New England, pretty as it is, is not an option (too cold too expensive). I may consider something further west but am really more comfortable east.

I love old (1700s) houses but know the further south and west I get, the newer they tend to be (though I have seen some fantastic 1800s cabins with land)

I am a little lost on climate nuances the further south I get, although we used to camp a lot as kids.

At this time I think we need to start visiting states and seeing what we may or may not like.

Possible states that I've considered or have been told about:
TN - sounds pretty ideal
KY - too much winter in some areas? No idea about taxes
NW GA - couple of people have mentioned this for rural and mountain biking
NW AK - supposed to be phenomenal for biking but I fear it's too "up and coming" and I don't want to find myself back in CT like conditions in 20 years.
WV - I have visited a number of times since 2007 and love it for all reasons except for snow. I had to cancel a weekend trip there in 2008 due to a 9" snowfall in October.
AL (?) - Someone posted somewhere recently that they left TN for AL because AL was not as wet as TN. That surprised me.
SC (?) - seems to be a current hot place for CT people to leave to - worth looking at? I know many are ending up in HOA subdivisions which is the exact opposite of what I want.
OK panhandle - someone said here recently that it is dry with mild winters and away from tornado alley??

I would say coastal regions are out due to higher COL.

I also read from another acquaintance who left NY for Indiana that she was loving the warmer weather. That also surprised me. I have friends who moved to NM and love it. Probably further away than I want to go but I'm open to suggestions.

Ideals:
Land of course - at least 10 acres but I've also seen 20-100 acre properties that have interested me a lot. I have a friend with 60 and am familiar with the size of the property and it's not overwhelming to me. I actually found the 60 acres to be smaller than I expected.

Rural/small town. I realize we're not going to be driving around the corner to the grocery store. Yes, it will be an adjustment but I'm confident we can handle it. We don't go out much. We'd probably prefer a nice mom & pop restaurant to a major chain. I abhor shopping in general and malls give me panic attacks.

Neither of us are religious. It doesn't bother us what anyone else does but we do not spend Sunday or any other day in church with others and it would be nice not to be shunned in town for it.

Gun friendly would be great - essentially we'd like a live and let live culture.

We'd like to be able to do simple repairs (fix a fence or a roof on a building) without someone turning us into the authorities.

Basements? We're used to them but I think south of the Mason Dixon line they are few and far between? Not a deal breaker.

Collecting rainwater and silly things like that. I can't believe this has to be mentioned but I know some states are putting their feet down. Mostly confined to out west right now?

Animals? Right now we just have indoor animals but I'd like the option for more. Chickens, goats, sheep? This is why I want definitive farming areas. We've talked about doing animal rescue. Nothing solid but it's in the back of my mind.

Emissions? Car inspections? Would prefer less restrictions. And seeing as cars get eaten away by salt here, please a place that either shuts down when it snows or uses something a bit more friendly to vehicles.

For me, CT is too cold and snowy in the winter. Summers are humid but I like that over cold. I don't use much AC despite that.

My SO can deal with warmth but he doesn't like the humidity as much. This is where I get more stuck with climate nuances. If it were just me I'd plunk my butt in a southern state and be done with it.

Funding and work is a whole other topic - right now I'd like to try and narrow down some areas to research.

I did buy "Finding and buying your place in the country" but have not gotten too far in it yet, I'm sure there are many more things I'm missing.

Sorry this is so long! Any ideas would be fantastic. Thank you! (I will probably be messaging a few of you whose posts I've admired all these years I've been reading here!)

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 05-13-2017 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 04:50 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
What about PA? Lots of beautiful country in this state of PA. I live in Bucks County it's beautiful the back country roads in this area.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:47 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
I was born and raised in Southern Indiana. It crosses a lot off your list.

The car insurance & registration in Indiana is super cheap. It's super warm during the summer. Some areas do get colder & more snow than others, mainly Northern Indiana near Chicago & Great Lakes, but Southern Indiana usually doesn't get much snow at all.

Gun laws are relatively relaxed.

Property & Housing prices are super affordable, and tons of nice small towns.

One town that immediately came to mind was Corydon, Indiana. A great small town, very low crime, and tons of mom & pop stores in "downtown" around the square. I have family that lives in Corydon, born and raised there and absolutely love it. I'm a bit of a homer with Corydon, as I was born & raised there as well, but I truly do think it's an amazing place.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:58 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Texas would likely suit you. It a warmer state and are gun friendly. Also there are cool small towns too.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:35 PM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
I should have mentioned - needs to be inexpensive to buy the property. Like the rural areas of ME, WV. I'm not looking for a showpiece and I do not want an HOA in any way shape or form. I'm actually hoping for a piece with land on both sides of the road so I don't have to look at some city slickers McMansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
What about PA? Lots of beautiful country in this state of PA. I live in Bucks County it's beautiful the back country roads in this area.
PA has the same winter as CT from what I know. If I'm wrong please tell me where to look. I do like the country out there but I can't leave one bad winter for another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I was born and raised in Southern Indiana. It crosses a lot off your list.

<snip>

One town that immediately came to mind was Corydon, Indiana.
Thanks! Still hoping to stay a bit east but I gave it a quick look and there are some nice places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Texas would likely suit you. It a warmer state and are gun friendly. Also there are cool small towns too.
How's the humidity? I know it's a huge state with many climate zones. Again, not one I had considered since I stereotype it as expensive but point me to a zone and I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2017, 09:49 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,431,142 times
Quote:
OK panhandle - someone said here recently that it is dry with mild winters and away from tornado alley??
Well, the OK Panhandle is definitely dry with mild winters (compared to CT), but it's in Tornado Alley, just like the Texas Panhandle below it and Kansas above it. That said, tornados out here on the Great Plains don't do near as much damage as back east, because there is a lot more rural space. The vast majority of tornadoes don't hardly do any damage to speak of. Oklahoma isn't exactly "back east," either...

Don't let the media hype about tornadoes scare you. Tornados happen throughout the US. They are not so frequent that it stops anyone from living where they like. It's not a valid reason to disqualify any US location from your consideration.

Tennessee is getting rather expensive these days, according to my Tennessee kinfolk and friends who live there. South Carolina is a humid, sub-tropical climate throughout, so that might not work for SO.

West Virginia is lovely, but it has a New England climate in the easternmost mountains. If you want to get away from snow and bad winters, it's not your best choice.

Even though Indiana is Midwest, it's closer to your NE kinfolk than several of the other states you mentioned. It might be worth a close look.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:57 PM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

For me, CT is too cold and snowy in the winter. Summers are humid but I like that over cold. I don't use much AC despite that.

My SO can deal with warmth but he doesn't like the humidity as much. This is where I get more stuck with climate nuances. If it were just me I'd plunk my butt in a southern state and be done with it.
Look at the smaller towns along the southern appalachians, the higher the elevation the less humid the summers will be, slightly cooler also. We aren't talking a huge difference, but enough to matter, at least to me. If you aren't familiar with dew points you might want to google it, it will help you compare to where you are now and help find a place that's hopefully not too humid for your hubby.
I think many of the towns in northeast TN would fit what you are looking for, around Johnson City for the coolest temps without being too isolated, warmer in the towns around Knoxville and slightly warmer still towards Chattanooga. Stay away from west TN if you can't do humidity.
Erwin, Unicoi, Fall branch, Church Hill, Rogersville, Greeneville, Soddy Daisy, Strawberry Plains are all small towns that are pretty rural and seem like they might be places to see if they pique your interest.

Old 05-13-2017, 10:12 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Arkansas
TN

Old 05-13-2017, 11:10 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
Texas has homestead exemption.
Lots of homes of all sizes and lots of various sizes. Dallas area is more costly. You'd have to do your research on various areas in Texas and what suits you. The nice thing in the Houston area is it's flat. So bike riding is a breeze, no hills.

Humidity is there but then I've been to Ohio during the summer and that was just as humid. Cars are air conditioned as are homes. The nice thing is the climate is warm year round and you can have two gardens, one for summer harvest and one for winter.

I think the main thing that would sell me on moving to Texas are the people. There is a courteous polite hospitality here. I notice it wherever I go and yes I do live in the Houston area. The state is also diverse with all colors, races, religions, etc. It's a real melting pot.

And as your in your 50's the hospitals in the Houston area are top notch. Oh yes and we have a property freeze on taxes when you're 63, plus other discounts.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:11 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
One thing you'll miss when you move out of New England -- The seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living