Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 07:08 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
We are good, can do, quiet middle aged neighbors but other than being asked for things or services we have zero interaction here.

Any clue folks?
I feel your pain. I don't live too far from you, so I know exactly what you're going through. You reach out, help people, try to be part of the community and people are so stuck in their little bubbles. It's like anyone they haven't know their entire lives is from another planet. I've been here over ten years and have had to introduce myself..... to the same people over and over again. "Who are you?" "What's your name again?" "Oh, you're that guy that bought the old Baker place." Yeah, I bought it 15 years ago and they still act like I bought it yesterday.

I have a rule. I'll make an attempt to reach out. If people reciprocate in the effort, great and I'm glad I have a good neighbor. If they don't... screw 'em and suspend the effort. It isn't worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 08:36 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
I will probably use the phrase, "We have plans for that." Short, sweet and unarguable.

My neighbors are all in the white, working or middle class, ages 45-70 demographic with one exception. The area was once a huge 1800's era homestead farm that was broken up into 4-15 acre parcels in the 1960s. We are on the original homesite.

I have met a number of great people in a large metro area roughly an hour away where I have a space in an antique/arts district warehouse where we have a once a month sales weekend event. I have found a lot of kindred spirits there and have made friends that unfortunately live 60 some miles or more away....

Thanks again all. It helps somewhat to know that we're not alone in this.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:40 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
"Oh, you're that guy that bought the old Baker place."
A friend once told me your house is never yours until you move out of it.

The "old Baker place" will become the "old MoNative" place the minute you sell it!

Old 10-15-2015, 02:28 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
A friend once told me your house is never yours until you move out of it.

The "old Baker place" will become the "old MoNative" place the minute you sell it!

I do that to someone here, refer to house as, "Oh, she lives in _______'s house". She's been in it 20 years. Drives her nuts.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:42 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
I can empathize. When we first moved to this rural area, many of the surrounding neighbors (all older than us & retired) were really friendly & inviting....but within a couple of months it was obvious that we were being assessed for what they could get, especially when they learned that my husband is very mechanically inclined. They either wanted something fixed for free, wanted $$$ (buy their old junk, $$ for "weed control", etc.), or wanted something of ours...otherwise, they don't speak to us. Today, a neighbor asked my husband if he could have a pile of dirt!

Old 10-17-2015, 08:59 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
A Mr Haney has no shame.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
A Mr Haney has no shame.
Had to Google this, but you're so right, lol.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:16 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,014,802 times
Seems like there is at least one in every neighborhood, no matter where you live, but whole neighborhoods?

Old 10-19-2015, 09:12 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Seems like there is at least one in every neighborhood, no matter where you live, but whole neighborhoods?

I totally agree. If it were just the neighbor to the east I'd write her off as the area pill but while nice when we have had our brief interactions, unless they want or need something, (or are looking for a missing pet) we don't have contact with any of our other neighbors either. They have all been in place for years so maybe it takes a long time to break through to the inner circle.

We get wind of social interactions between the neighbors (even the pill) but we are not part of it. Seems the same might be true of the neighbor across the way with the snow plow too. I never hear him mentioned by the neighbors either though he's been here quite a while. Whatever it is it's odd. Nothing like our experience in AK where even in the transitional neighborhood next to a crappy apartment building, the neighbors were outgoing and friendly.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
For me, this is my first time in a rural neighborhood, so I didn't know what to expect. I was hoping that people would be somewhat friendly, not just users. One of my neighbors told me it wasn't a "coffee klatch" neighborhood...I don't even know what that means. Been 5 years now. It's Washington state & a lot of the neighbors are transplants, if any of that means anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living