Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 04:28 PM

26,463 posts, read 46,752,888 times

Advertisements

I only engage in conversations when it is expected and necessary of me to do so, but rarely beyond that. I will only have conversations with people that I already know most of the time. Idle chatter that continues constantly from people that only revolve around themselves and their family get so tiresome as it is usually non-stop for some people. I have no interest in knowing every little detail about your personal life and everything that goes on. Those discussions should be reserved for other family, relatives, and close friends, not people that they are not as friendly with. No, I am certainly not friends with many highly extroverted people, good reasons exist for that in terms of what I prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 06:33 PM

8,086 posts, read 10,684,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post

I would be a perfect New Englander but cannot afford to live there.
Ha, ha, I know what you mean. I too have the brains, mentality, temperament, and like minded interests to be a great New Englander, but not the funds! I suffer here in the South because I need things like a roof over my head and food, but it's really difficult sometimes.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:54 PM

26,463 posts, read 46,752,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Ha, ha, I know what you mean. I too have the brains, mentality, temperament, and like minded interests to be a great New Englander, but not the funds! I suffer here in the South because I need things like a roof over my head and food, but it's really difficult sometimes.
Try areas of the Upper Midwest, culturally more similar to New England or the Pacific Northwest.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:34 PM

50,532 posts, read 47,300,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Suffer? I'd almost trade you to live where you do from here in SD. NE would be the LAST place I'd want to live. I'd take the South over NE any day.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:31 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,904,518 times
I am a New Hampshire Yankee and the last time I butted into someone else's business was just a couple of days ago when I pointed to someone that I had noticed the wall on his barn was bowing out due to rotted foundation posts. He was not upset because he had not noticed.

That is what we mean by butting into your neighbors business around here.

What the OP may be complaining about is people insisting on butting into your life because they have failed at theirs.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:30 PM

35,171 posts, read 31,490,161 times
I talked to the OP some when I first moved to Indianapolis, and I do agree with some of his views regarding this city itself.

However, I don't see his complaints at all about the lower Midwest in general, and I've traveled a good bit of it. In the small towns, people are more likely to make a little small talk, but it's nothing like where I'm from in Tennessee. People aren't nearly as friendly, they don't talk as much or as long. I have had people offered unsolicited opinions/advice and say politically incorrect things, but I think you're going to get that everywhere.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:14 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,614,109 times
I am not sure what people and behavior TS considers to be "normal" since his life preferences seem highly abnormal from my stanpoint. Living in vacuum is abnormal, but that is what middle westerners practice in my experience - human desert devoid of life and joy, one man/family compounds, peculiar reclusive people, if not for property taxes and unpaid electric bills, or burglars, a single transplant has a good chance to die and not be discovered for years (locals have superficial, dysfunctional but nevertherless a circle of family and friends so their corpses are discovered within days or weeks). I am really perplexed why TS didnt fit in. What people in New England are even more messed up and reclusive? And I thought I hit the bottom here in Midwest.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:17 PM

504 posts, read 618,329 times
In New England it is a different type of private as far as I can tell. For example, to compare to what people mention in threads about things that happen in the South and Midwest, I have never been asked what church I go to or if I go to church, no one will just start talking to me if I am standing in line at a grocery store unless we bump into each other and say sorry. For me personally at least the idea of having a stranger trying to have a conversation in a line at the grocery store is uncomfortable. I don't mind talking to strangers currently I work at a store cashiering and at the customer service desk I talk to strangers for my job, but by the end of the day I am ready to stab my ears if I hear another person talk about how the weather is, make some inane comment about how I have the same name as a relation of theirs, make a joke about how they just printed that money this morning, or any other subject of small talk that is commonly heard in a store. The connection here is that I never want to have to deal with that while out shopping and I definitely would not say hi, make eye contact, or nod to everyone I see while I am out. In fact to me doing those things to strangers unless it is accidental or you both make eye contact and end up doing it seems weird and invasive because I am not used to it and I was to some extent trained by my surroundings to see doing that as rude. On the other hand if I know you I will always acknowledge I saw you by waving or saying hi and if I have time talking for a bit.

The difference in privacy in some ways may come from the fact that in New England especially more populated areas people live in very close physical proximity so they try to maintain more distance in the social sphere. But that is all conjecture and can't be proven in any way so who knows.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:28 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,095,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover94 View Post
In New England it is a different type of private as far as I can tell. For example, to compare to what people mention in threads about things that happen in the South and Midwest, I have never been asked what church I go to or if I go to church, no one will just start talking to me if I am standing in line at a grocery store unless we bump into each other and say sorry. For me personally at least the idea of having a stranger trying to have a conversation in a line at the grocery store is uncomfortable. I don't mind talking to strangers currently I work at a store cashiering and at the customer service desk I talk to strangers for my job, but by the end of the day I am ready to stab my ears if I hear another person talk about how the weather is, make some inane comment about how I have the same name as a relation of theirs, make a joke about how they just printed that money this morning, or any other subject of small talk that is commonly heard in a store. The connection here is that I never want to have to deal with that while out shopping and I definitely would not say hi, make eye contact, or nod to everyone I see while I am out. In fact to me doing those things to strangers unless it is accidental or you both make eye contact and end up doing it seems weird and invasive because I am not used to it and I was to some extent trained by my surroundings to see doing that as rude. On the other hand if I know you I will always acknowledge I saw you by waving or saying hi and if I have time talking for a bit.

The difference in privacy in some ways may come from the fact that in New England especially more populated areas people live in very close physical proximity so they try to maintain more distance in the social sphere. But that is all conjecture and can't be proven in any way so who knows.
I am from the West Coast, and this seems to be my experience too.

Now I don't always mind some chit-chat, sometimes while waiting in a long line it can pass the time, but if I am left to my own devices, I rarely start random chit-chat with strangers and I certainly don't miss it if it's not there. I don't seek out chit-chat. I find it awkward to start and sometimes it's painful to see someone try to keep a conversation going when there's nothing to talk about and I don't want the bother.

You might be onto something, that in areas where the population is more crammed together, we learn to keep our distance.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:04 PM

42,006 posts, read 75,408,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Lots of property crime at a former home I owned.
There's no crime in New England? You don't say!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living