Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:01 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,957 times

Advertisements

wacahootaman:

Those are some stunning photos and that pic of the Eagle is breathtaking. I noticed a John Deere in there too...LOL....

Closest we get to Eagles where I am in NC are barn hawks

Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 10:25 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
We went into Klamath Falls for the annual Winter Wings Fest - this year's count of bald eagles (as part of the birding events) was around 1,200 - used to be that those were all migratory, but the guess is that around 300 are resident now.

There is what I believe are a nesting pair up the hill from us, and we see them soaring down to the lake to hunt fish a couple times a day. Scares the heck out of the small birds at the feeder in our backyard. The lake is mostly frozen over (Agency Lake, part of Upper Klamath Lake is shallow), but there are a couple places where creeks and rivers come in and a couple of hot spots out in the lake where the water stays clear.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:54 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Default don't need no "watch dog"

Show Pride In Your Town...Share It With Us!-picture-tn-004.jpg

Here's (was) my pet water lizard. This ain't in Tennessee!

My boy's grew up swimming with this critter. He eventually died of lead poisioning (got to big), so we had a BBQ.

I'm just "spittin" distance from town... but we have otters, bobcats, coyotes, wild hogs, deer, plenty of wading birds, wood ducks(my favorite), fox squirls, etc.... not to mention all those "domestic critters" and yesterday.......
had an Osprey take a fish out of our pond. Most think Florida is beaches, Daytona, Disney... but there is a whole 'nother Florida that most never see. I just happen to have 5 acres of it... out in the country. I thank God for my blessings.

PS.... the only traffic light got put up last week... but it ain't working... yet.

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 02-20-2008 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: oh yeah... forgot who is responsible for my blessings!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:26 PM

495 posts, read 2,328,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
wacahootaman:

Those are some stunning photos and that pic of the Eagle is breathtaking. I noticed a John Deere in there too...LOL....

Closest we get to Eagles where I am in NC are barn hawks

Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.
Thanks Unk.

Those bald eagles are magnificent birds. Although they can be hell on your barn cats.

We used to have a magnificent pair that would catch the morning sun from atop a hilltop live oak on our farm. They could watch for anything that moved on the back 40 from that perch.

Trouble was, our barn cats were disappearing. Had a big ole Tom Coon Cat who got away but had his side sliced open. I put 2 and 2 together and had to scare off that pair of Eagles with a warning round near their perch one morning. I hated to do it, but the missus was upset over the cats disappearing and the cats were good rat catchers.

They have never returned to their perch, but every now and then I hear their distinctive cry and look up an they are soaring over the farm way up high.

I wonder if it is the same pair? Anyone know if Eagles mate for life or just pair up in breeding season?

Old 02-21-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Attachment 14997

Here's (was) my pet water lizard. This ain't in Tennessee!

My boy's grew up swimming with this critter. He eventually died of lead poisioning (got to big), so we had a BBQ.

I'm just "spittin" distance from town... but we have otters, bobcats, coyotes, wild hogs, deer, plenty of wading birds, wood ducks(my favorite), fox squirls, etc.... not to mention all those "domestic critters" and yesterday.......
had an Osprey take a fish out of our pond. Most think Florida is beaches, Daytona, Disney... but there is a whole 'nother Florida that most never see. I just happen to have 5 acres of it... out in the country. I thank God for my blessings.

PS.... the only traffic light got put up last week... but it ain't working... yet.
Wow...Florida?...sounds like North Carolina... Never had lizard...did it taste good?

Old 02-21-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
We went into Klamath Falls for the annual Winter Wings Fest - this year's count of bald eagles (as part of the birding events) was around 1,200 - used to be that those were all migratory, but the guess is that around 300 are resident now.

There is what I believe are a nesting pair up the hill from us, and we see them soaring down to the lake to hunt fish a couple times a day. Scares the heck out of the small birds at the feeder in our backyard. The lake is mostly frozen over (Agency Lake, part of Upper Klamath Lake is shallow), but there are a couple places where creeks and rivers come in and a couple of hot spots out in the lake where the water stays clear.

I can imagine how scared the birds in the feeder get as we have Cardinals, Wrens, Titmice, Sparrows and Chickadees and they scoot at even the hint of a barn hawk..can't imagine what they would do if we had Eagles here. Do Eagles mate for life?

Old 02-21-2008, 06:38 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Wow...Florida?...sounds like North Carolina... Never had lizard...did it taste good?
If ya'ver had soft shell turtle .... about the same... it's served in most restaurants now.

PS... always with "hot sause".

Old 02-21-2008, 08:42 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:

I can imagine how scared the birds in the feeder get as we have Cardinals, Wrens, Titmice, Sparrows and Chickadees and they scoot at even the hint of a barn hawk..can't imagine what they would do if we had Eagles here. Do Eagles mate for life?
Yep!

Day before yesterday we were headed into town, and there was a bit of fresh porcupine roadkill about two feet off the road - there were 3 bald eagles feasting, and we slowed down as we drove up and they just looked over at us like "Yeah? What do YOU want? Find your own."

Old 02-21-2008, 01:35 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
UncleBatz, I know some people like to kid about Ohio, but in May of 2005 I moved up here in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in southeastern Ohio, in a little town by the name of Caldwell, reminds me a little bit about Mayberry, here's some pictures of what this place looks like today, the first 4 pictures are of the town, you'll notice there's only two traffic lights, that's because Caldwell is the county seat from Noble County and they figure they needed at least two traffic lights, Noble County has a population of just a little over 14,000 people, Caldwell has a population of almost 2000, picture number 5 is my cabin up here in the foothills, the last one is what my driveway looks like in the autumn, I live about 4 1/2 miles outside of town. Moved up here out of Metropolitan Washington, DC.

Last edited by ptsum; 07-03-2009 at 05:01 PM..

Old 02-21-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
UncleBatz, I know some people like to kid about Ohio, but in May of 2005 I moved up here in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains in southeastern Ohio, in a little town by the name of Caldwell, reminds me a little bit about Mayberry, here's some pictures of what this place looks like today, the first 4 pictures are of the town, you'll notice there's only two traffic lights, that's because Caldwell is the county seat from Noble County and they figure they needed at least two traffic lights, Noble County has a population of just a little over 14,000 people, Caldwell has a population of almost 2000, picture number 5 is my cabin up here in the foothills, the last one is what my driveway looks like in the autumn, I live about 4 1/2 miles outside of town. Moved up here out of Metropolitan Washington, DC.
Beautiful, and it does have that "Mayberry" look to it. Of course since you have TWO traffic lights some might consider yours to be a BIG town...

Nice pics...thanks for sharing them with us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living