Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 08:18 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Interesting that Woodrow LI would assert the voting direction of Amish folk ...

All of the Amish and Mennonite groups I know of ... and I'm in a rural area surrounded by several Mennonite churches with different levels of observances ... DO NOT VOTE in any election per the teaching/directives of their groups.

I've had conversations with several of them about this and how election results could adversely affect their practices. For example, birth control/abortion issues have a pretty clear direction from the Democrats which are counter to their beliefs. By abstaining from voting, they're allowing something which is abhorrent to them to be a mainstream part of society rather than asserting their voice on the matter. Their tax monies go to the health care system, too.

The local Mennonite group is sizable enough to have a significant voice ... if they chose to use it ... on these tax issues, yet they don't vote their concerns.

Perhaps the local sects in MN have different teachings regarding such voting participation? although I doubt it as I've visited with many of their brethren as they come through our area for weddings or are traveling to visit their relatives, and their teachings seem to be fairly consistent on these issues. Noteworthy, too, is that a lot of them don't trust outsiders and want nothing to do with them. I've had more than several contacts where I've been able to assist them in their travels, yet I am put on "ignore" ... literally, I've been the mechanic who diagnosed and repaired their vehicles while traveling through this area and they wouldn't even acknowledge or speak to me. They would only communicate with me through their local church member who was the contact that arranged for me to do the work. It's almost comical to be in a conversation face to face with these folk yet not be acknowledged or spoken to. But that's illustrative of how much they reject any contact with those they perceive as outsiders ... even when you are being of assistance to them. Such is the distance they want from any contact with regular society ... and it extends to their position on the vote.
Yeah but this year there was a large Amish voting bloc effort for Trump. Even an Amish PAC. LOL google it it's interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 07:10 AM

788 posts, read 1,741,611 times
On my way to vote I was listening to NPR and they were talking about Florida...stating Trump most likely cound not win there because so many Puerto Ricans moved there in recent years. They were just assuming that all minorities voted democrat, along with women. Turned out this was not the case and this probably has more bearing on why Trump won.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:13 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Too bad we can't go by popular vote instead of electoral college.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:37 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
True and as I said the Amish I know did not vote Trump. Which is true as they did not vote.
A little disingenuous, don't ya think?

Old 11-20-2016, 10:43 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Thank the people who formed this country that we don't. Want to be dictated to by 5 states? If we went that route, those 5 states would be who the candidates cared about, anyone NOT living in the other 45 would suffer...You REALLY want it that way?

Old 11-20-2016, 11:14 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Funny how this election has generalized.

Every rich, educated, urban non New Yorker I know personally voted for Trump.

Granted, I certainly don't know millions of people but the day after the election when Trump supporters were being called uneducated, rural, I had no idea who they were talking about.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:40 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I think the Democrat Party likes the Electoral College as much as the Republican Party does.

I don't recall the Democrats clamoring to get rid of it after the 2000 election.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:16 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I think the Democrat Party likes the Electoral College as much as the Republican Party does.

I don't recall the Democrats clamoring to get rid of it after the 2000 election.
They did to an extent but nothing like now. A movement started called Popular Vote which mandates states signing on assign their Electoral votes to the popular vote winner no matter how the state itself voted. It's stuck at about half the number of states needed out of 21 or so.

I live in Maryland, one of the early signers, and can damn near guarantee that if the above ever came to pass that its Electors would never vote for a Republican if he, or she, didn't carry the state.

Keep in mind that the meme prior to the election was that Clinton had about 250 Electoral votes sewn up and Trump really had no path to 270.

Guess that didn't work out.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
There is no one size fits all definition of rural folks. Cultural norms vary greatly across the country. Where I live issues such as abortion or gay rights are total non-issues. We do not view every issue through a religious lens.

What's important to folks around here are basic economic and fairness issues. Don't call us racists just because we were born white and certainly don't tell us we're privileged either. Don't tell us all of the economic and educational preferences given to minorities at the expense of opportunities then denied to our children is fair. We just want a level playing field is all. Don't dump Muslim refugees in our communities that you would never allow in the wealthy urban and suburban neighborhoods that the elite live in that are sending us the refugees. If they are supposed to be a good thing for our communities, then they should be good for yours too. Just treat us fairly and with respect. That's all we ask for.
I don't know where "around here" is (other than rural) and it does not matter because overall I agree with your views especially the bolded sentences.

Well said.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:32 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
A little disingenuous, don't ya think?
Not really. My original statement was I doubt the Amish would vote for Trump. And it was pointed out the Amish here typically do not vote, I feel that reinforced my doubt. If they did or did not vote for Trump, I do not know. But I personally doubt they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living