Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 05:35 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
The fact Hillary got more total votes and 50 cents will get you coffee at Carol's Lakeview Restaurant in Cherokee Village Arkansas.
There is absolutely no reason for anybody to ever visit Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 07:24 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
There is absolutely no reason for anybody to ever visit Arkansas.

Just to put this into frame of reference for those who haven't been following along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If your candidate had won by a substantial number I might agree with you but he only won because the less educated ignorant rural voters outnumbered the educated voters. It' just math.
The same person also has no clue how the voting process functions (and maybe math). They think that popular vote means something... Hint: it doesn't and 4 prior presidents have been elected without the majority popular vote.

Funny how that word "ignorant" seems to have a boomarang effect on those who try to use it maliciously.

My, apparently ignorant, father liked this saying and I think it tends to be fitting more often than not... [SIZE=2]It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt [/SIZE]

Old 11-26-2016, 08:06 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
His premise seems to be that anyone who doesn't vote democrat is stupid.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:01 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
The Democrats were silent after the 2000 election result.

Why ?

That tells me that Democrats ...LIKE.. the Electoral College as much as Republicans.

They just didn't think Donald Trump would be the one to use the Electoral College to his advantage.

They were wrong and now are crying.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:13 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Just to put this into frame of reference for those who haven't been following along...

The same person also has no clue how the voting process functions (and maybe math). They think that popular vote means something... Hint: it doesn't and 4 prior presidents have been elected without the majority popular vote.

Funny how that word "ignorant" seems to have a boomarang effect on those who try to use it maliciously.

My, apparently ignorant, father liked this saying and I think it tends to be fitting more often than not... [SIZE=2]It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt [/SIZE]
Homeboy would P&ss himself if he saw how many red neck country boys like me that are stuck in an urban environment because of job opportunities. It made more sense for me to rent my farm ground and work a higher paying IT related job. I have chickens and a big garden with fruit trees. Ya can't take the country out of the city boy

Old 11-26-2016, 10:41 AM

13,650 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Homeboy would P&ss himself if he saw how many red neck country boys like me that are stuck in an urban environment because of job opportunities. It made more sense for me to rent my farm ground and work a higher paying IT related job.
I'm the exact opposite: a "city boy" whose ancestors were city boys/girls for some 200 years, who moved to the Heartland for a job-opportunity in STEM. I'd love to return to a locale more condign with my values and roots, but career-considerations preclude that.

Despite the bevy of observations that America is self-sorting into tribes of the like-minded, unfortunately there will be outliers like us, who are unable to partake of the sorting.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:25 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
The Democrats were silent after the 2000 election result.

Why ?

That tells me that Democrats ...LIKE.. the Electoral College as much as Republicans.

They just didn't think Donald Trump would be the one to use the Electoral College to his advantage.

They were wrong and now are crying.
No we are just baffled how an obnoxious blowhard like Trump who has absolutely nothing in common or regard for working class people could actually win the election.

Our only conclusions are that they are so ignorant they don't know who Trump really is or the most obvious reason.
He got the nomination of the republican party and that's all that matters.

No other reasons make any sense.

BTW I never accused his voters of being stupid.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The people I lived near in the country were just regular, good people that raised children who knew how to work hard. They supported the schools and the teachers and they knew how to stretch a dollar. Fairly religious, but no more so than in the city.
same here...and we mind or own business....you will have "strangers" hold the door for you as you walk in a store or restaurant and men will jump to help a lady if shes carrying too much to her car/or holding a baby ..

we leave our houses and cars unlocked in the driveway without fear of being stolen,,
I haven't locked my front door for 25 yrs...
we leave our cars running to keep the car warm in the wintertime when we go in a store
without fear ...someone is going to steal it

we will stop and assist a car that's broken down and help the driver ...without fear... from the driver

we aren't overly religious at all...again we mind our own business

Old 11-26-2016, 02:16 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Yes, the article is acerbic and simplistic; no large group of people is monolithic or completely benighted. But the essential point has merit. Namely, much of rural America is held back more by its own culture, than by external impositions from rapacious corporations, overreaching government, intrusive immigrants or nattering elites.

Insular, ossified culture is by no means limited to America's rural parts, or to America itself; witness for example oft-noted tendencies in the tribal societies so pervasive in the Middle East and Southwest Asia. The common trait is that people who have lived for generations in areas of low population density, who don't travel much, who are closely associated with agriculture or the mechanical arts, who marry young and prioritize family-formation over pursuit of careers, tend to have some common traits all over the world. And those traits, while in some regards noble and exemplary, are especially challenging in a "globalized", high-tech, service-oriented world.
Despite the economic cost, I think resistance to a "globalized" world is a good thing. Globalization is leading us toward a one world dictatorship where all national boundaries and sense of the individual sovereignty of nations will be erased. This will ultimately not prove to be a good thing for anyone, except for the .00000001%

Old 11-26-2016, 03:03 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
All of them. It's in the book.
Not in any "book" I read !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living