Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 05:26 PM

7,154 posts, read 9,256,289 times

Advertisements

An Insider's View: The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America | Alternet

I've never lived in rural areas so I have no idea if his depiction is correct.

comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 05:56 PM

1,156 posts, read 935,266 times
No, it's not accurate. No article that paints an entire group in such broad stereo types is accurate. This ismerely one person's perspective of their own personal interactions with people. It certainly isn't based on actual research using carefully researched unbiased questions across a random sample of the population with all the other rigors that go with actually following a scientific methodology. The author is just as stuck in his/her own precepts and is as unwilling to see other perspectives as the poor souls forced to interact with him/her are portrayed in this article.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:40 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,381,478 times
Lol, no. Not even close. It describes a very small minority. The most amusing aspect is that the author does a better job of showing their own lack of understanding of their own self, and fear of acknowledgement (which is what they were trying to paint on others). Irony....

Old 11-22-2016, 06:44 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,350,101 times
He sounds like a bitter born again urban liberal with the same zeal of some new born again Christians.

There are 100,000,000 people in 'rural America' covering 2,000,000 square miles, do you really think they're all the same? Look at it from the other side, do you think everyone in every city is the same? Are people in Miami, New Orleans, Dallas, San Francisco or New York all the same? Of course not, just like people in every rural area aren't the same.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:35 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,566,374 times
Funny, "rednecks", "crackers", "hillbillies", " white trash" etc., meaning white men of lesser income regardless of their residence and education (neither education nor urban residence mean much without cash as far as labels and stereotypes go) are the last social group one can demean, insult, make fun of, feel superiror to, etc. without a bit of outcry, condemnation, or even a frown. Every social group insults them with impunity, even the lowest destitute ghetto types may crack a "redneck" joke not speaking of feeling superior to that particular group of the whites. Suprisingly, this particular kind of bigotry doesnt offend coastal "elites" in the least. Everybody has to feel superior to something. In the case of the USA, "rednecks" and "white trash", not minorities or gosh forbid blacks, are that special group everybody else uses as a punching bag and a reference point for one's self worth.

Last edited by RememberMee; 11-22-2016 at 08:36 PM..

Old 11-22-2016, 08:35 PM

7,060 posts, read 8,900,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
It's ridiculous to say the least, some of us are actually college educated, tolerant of gays and minorities despite the fact we wear carhartts to church.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:44 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,349,534 times
I lived in a rural area for twenty years. While I agree that rural and/or poor whites are often the targets of extreme bigotry, I regretfully have to say that I find much of this article to be spot-on.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:27 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,778,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
An Insider's View: The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America | Alternet

comments?
I live in a small city in the most rural, white, conservative part of the country. Where I live is literally the buckle of the Bible Belt. If there is anywhere the article should apply to, it's where I live.

The article is true for a lot of people here but it doesn't describe everyone. If you go to an Independent Fundamental Baptist church in this part of the country, you are likely to see a picture much like what is painted in the article, but there are people here whom that doesn't apply to.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:55 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,426,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Where I live is literally the buckle of the Bible Belt.
The Bible Belt is not a literal belt and thus lacks a literal buckle. The word does not mean what you think it means.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:56 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,349,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I live in a small city in the most rural, white, conservative part of the country. Where I live is literally the buckle of the Bible Belt. If there is anywhere the article should apply to, it's where I live.

The article is true for a lot of people here but it doesn't describe everyone. If you go to an Independent Fundamental Baptist church in this part of the country, you are likely to see a picture much like what is painted in the article, but there are people here whom that doesn't apply to.
I agree it doesn't apply to everyone. But, where I lived, it applies a very significant portion of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living