Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:49 PM

154 posts, read 132,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Around here wood structures are usually bulldozed and burned, then the remains are buried. Assuming the trailer in question is an older one with an aluminum shell, usually there's someone willing to dismantle it for scrap. The remains are usually burned.
My daughter and her then husband dismantled a trailer and salvaged the metal, and I salvaged some 12' x 4' plywood and some 12' rough cut 2 x 4's. They were trying to cut up the steel roofing with a circular saw, not having much luck and kept burning up blades, till I loaned them a saw with an "Old Flooring Blade" in it and it cut through the roofing like a hot knife through butter. Made short work of that roof.

BTW, when I brought the 2 x 4's home the only thing I had that was red was an Elmo doll that was my grandson's. I figured I would get all kind of abuse if I tied the doll to the 2 x 4's by his neck, so I made a seat on the 2 x 4's and tied the doll in the seat. The doll was bright red and seemed to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 08:22 PM

141 posts, read 105,069 times
I've heard of people burying old shingles. Not sure how legal it is. I think you'll run into groundwater issues in a rural area burying the wrong stuff near your well.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Even having my own dozer and excavator, I spend more time 'un-burying' PO treasures, especially on my TX property.

I now know why they built a huge deck, very tall from the ground. They threw EVEYTHING over the deck and the plastic / trash covered 6 acres. I have found a lot of buried freezers and fridges, but PLASTIC, white and colored (toys) litters every nook and cranny.

One place I bought in WA had 5' tall stacks of dirty disposable diapers all through the forest. I was tempted to bury, but hauled off and disposed properly. Pee-yehw.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:55 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
I watched a small house bull dozed into a hole the dozer dug them buried, and a building built on top of it. That was in the 70s. Can't do that any more. Believe EPA put a stop to it.

My wife and I had her parents' old mobile home dismantled like BardoXV mentioned above. I like the way the crew did it. They worked from the inside out, tearing everything out and throwing in the dumpsters we rented. Most people I've seen tear the metal off the outside first, leaving the insulation to get wet or blow all over the place. Dismantling from the inside out puts a stop to that.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:11 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post

My wife and I had her parents' old mobile home dismantled like BardoXV mentioned above. I like the way the crew did it. They worked from the inside out, tearing everything out and throwing in the dumpsters we rented. Most people I've seen tear the metal off the outside first, leaving the insulation to get wet or blow all over the place. Dismantling from the inside out puts a stop to that.
The problem with this method is that most of those old mobile homes have structural damage due to them just not being sealed very well, and they're framed with 2x2 lumber. So by the time they're 30 years old the only thing holding up the roof is the interior walls. If you tear those out first you're liable to end up with a ceiling on your head.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsivetravelerguy View Post
I've heard of people burying old shingles. Not sure how legal it is. I think you'll run into groundwater issues in a rural area burying the wrong stuff near your well.
I had a neighbor dump some old shingles on my shared driveway, saying that he thought they would melt in the hot Sun. They didn't melt when on a roof in the direct sunlight, so what made him think they would melt on a driveway in the shade. He also said there were no nails in them, but when I looked they were full of roofing nails. I got pissed and loaded them on my truck, and dumped them on the section of drive in front of his house, but past where I had to drive.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My daughters only real problem was that while they had the dumpster sitting there, a lot of neighbors would throw trash into the dumpster, so they were paying for a lot of extra stuff that they weren't throwing away.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:08 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,399,233 times
actually, this is and has been common practice in most rural areas for decades. while, i don't agree with it, there is really no one to police it and in most cases, very few even know when it happens.

i actually had a person send me pics recently of him burying an old trailer out in the country, that i had sold him about 15 years ago. it was a nice big 3 bedroom trailer at one time, with aftermarket metal roof, garage and deck. we used it as a deer camp. it all went in a pretty small hole. we had well water when we owned it, but they have a water coop in the area now. i still wasn't in favor of burying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living