Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:31 PM

26 posts, read 71,360 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
So we're in the process of moving out of the craziness that is Southern California and I love the idea of a small, family-friendly, community-based small town. I'm really yearning for a town where neighbors know eachother and help eachother out. Where people are warm and friendly. Where you don't feel alone in a huge sea of people. Does this still exist?
Just a few details for you....We don't really have a limitation on weather (although I think we'd pass on the extreme humidity of the deep south). Snow, cold, heat doesn't matter to us, we're from Iowa and Arizona so we've seen it all (except of course the extreme humidity of the deep south....which might kill us ) But here's the catch....this town has to be close to a University or College since my husband works in higher education. College towns, so far for us, have proven anything but warm and friendly. Thanks everyone, I really value your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
There are a lot of friendly, little towns round this way(I live in Lexington, Kentucky) that are just like that (sort of Mayberry like)...Midway(Midway College), Wilmore (Asbury), Richmond (EKU), Versailles, Paris or Georgetown are close enough to Lexington to commute to UK>
(Even though we aren't the deep south, it does get very humid here though)

Natural Beauty Surrounds Lexington, Kentucky - YouTube

Old 07-19-2013, 07:35 PM

Crazee Cat Lady,
First of all, love you name Second, thank you so much for the fantastic reply!! We actually lived in Lousiville for 9 months and loved it. I'll check out the colleges you mentioned (with the exception of UK, already checked it out and got nothin') Also, does it snow near Lexington?? Have a great night!

Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Thanks InLoveW/3Boys.
Wow, you lived in Louisville before (I was raised in Louisville, moved to Lexington in the 80's). Yes, it snows in Lexington - not like way up North, but we do get snow, it tends to not be really deep or last long though. It's really pretty though.
Here are a couple pics from the Horse park when it snowed.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Perhaps places like Marcellus, Tully, Cazenovia, Chittenango and Homer, among others in Upstate NY.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:58 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
I would think there's probably thousands of areas that would qualify.

I'd think it best to start with potential employers (whom have expressed an interest in hiring him) and then go to the state/region forum sections and pose your question for that particular area.

Also, besides weather, what other wants/needs do you have?
- Commute distance/time.
- I'm guessing you have 3 kids. School and activity desires?
- Cost of living.
Etc.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:12 AM

Thanks Everyone!!
And thanks RyanR, I'll try that as well.
We're looking for cost of living to be much cheaper then it is in California. Where you can buy a decent house for under $260k. Also, we LOVE to swim so a lake and/or rivers in the area would be great (or houses on the market with pools, which I'm finding isn't all that common outside of the West). A commute time of under 30 minutes would be ideal. Community activities would be awesome. For example, I found this little town in Indiana called Shipshewana and according to their website they have festivals all year long. I've never seen anything like it. From November to February alone there is a Chili Cook Off, Ice Festival, Christmas tree contests, Pajama sales (you wear your pj's to shop at the local stores and get discounts), live Nativities, carolers...etc etc. It's a town of 600+ and yet they have so much going on. Unfortunately the job market sparse and there aren't many Universities close by.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:46 AM

[quote=Crazee Cat Lady;30574098]Thanks InLoveW/3Boys.
Wow, you lived in Louisville before (I was raised in Louisville, moved to Lexington in the 80's). Yes, it snows in Lexington - not like way up North, but we do get snow, it tends to not be really deep or last long though. It's really pretty though.
Here are a couple pics from the Horse park when it snowed.

Oh my goodness, these pictures are gorgeous. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that! I just discovered a town called Horse Cave in Ky. Do you know of it? If so, what do you think?? thx!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:55 AM

16 posts, read 23,588 times
Burlington VT....Has everything you want!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:08 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps places like Marcellus, Tully, Cazenovia, Chittenango and Homer, among others in Upstate NY.
HA, some friends got married this week in Cazenovia, NY..Steve and Stephen....they
have 13 rescue dogs!

Any small town in Minn would be great, you betcha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living