U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 08:42 PM

4,108 posts, read 2,425,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
I lived in Trumbull, CT. Many moons ago but still miss it.

Take an internet look at Floyd county, VA. A bit eclectic but maybe to your liking.
I got a DM about that very area and looked into Floyd Fest in 2015 as I was in Chincoteague around that time!

Did you live there? It sounds like a neat area. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Waco, TX is a decent size town, but also a lot of rural areas around it. Housing prices & land prices aren't too terrible. I've spent a little time in Waco & Fort Worth, and if I were to move to either, I'd choose Waco
Thanks - I certainly need direction in large states lol. I'd want the rural areas on the outskirts for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 07:30 AM

3,430 posts, read 5,296,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I got a DM about that very area and looked into Floyd Fest in 2015 as I was in Chincoteague around that time!

Did you live there? It sounds like a neat area. Thanks!

Thanks - I certainly need direction in large states lol. I'd want the rural areas on the outskirts for sure.
You'll find lots of info about Floyd in the Roanoke sub-forum (I know because I wrote many of them). I retired here from CA 11 years ago and am still pretty happy with the place.

I hope you find the perfect place, well, there's no such thing as perfect, but one that meets most of your really important desires.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:21 AM

26,617 posts, read 25,293,539 times
Quote:
I should have mentioned - needs to be inexpensive to buy the property. Like the rural areas of ME, WV. I'm not looking for a showpiece and I do not want an HOA in any way shape or form. I'm actually hoping for a piece with land on both sides of the road so I don't have to look at some city slickers McMansion.

PA has the same winter as CT from what I know. If I'm wrong please tell me where to look. I do like the country out there but I can't leave one bad winter for another.

Thanks! Still hoping to stay a bit east but I gave it a quick look and there are some nice places.

How's the humidity? I know it's a huge state with many climate zones. Again, not one I had considered since I stereotype it as expensive but point me to a zone and I'll check it out.

Thanks!

The humidity is terrible. It is in every place you've named.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:47 AM

11,374 posts, read 14,992,740 times
Quote:

I was told by a friend who lives in Charlotte that NC taxes are pretty high. Geographically (biking) and climate I think western NC would be fine, but I was concerned about that. I visited Chimney Rock for an event about 20 years ago and liked what I remember seeing then - though I rolled in around 3am. I do remember it being pretty chilly in the mountains for late April that year!

Florida - aways afraid it would be too hot. A coworker is moving down now and another friend lives in Panama City. The PC friend says it's brutal for a couple of months but he's a block from the ocean and loves that. (he does not miss winter at all). My coworker is going a bit further south but still on the west coast. Is the Panhandle a bit cooler or less humid?

Sometimes I think I should just say screw the east and go to AZ or something! :roll eyes: I know StealthRabbit would say do both!
I sometimes think that people who say anywhere along the gulf coast has four seasons has never lived anywhere with a 'typical' winter. It can get chilly and very occasionally downright cold, but being able to walk on the beach at Dauphin Island in a long sleeve T and a pair of shorts during Christmas break doesn't scream 'winter' to me.

(Northeast TN is very similar to western NC, without the taxes on everything. Johnson City is only a 30-40 minute drive from Asheville)

Old 05-15-2017, 01:16 PM

18,760 posts, read 55,917,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
One thing you'll miss when you move out of New England -- The seasons.
Bulltickie! I grew up in the part of Vermont where the leafpeeper traffic is now like city driving. Not only are there seasons here, but I've seen some falls where the color was every bit as good as Vermont.

Somewhere a little north of Birmingham and Atlanta is where the seasons begin to merge together.

Anyone moving to the southeast has to be fully aware of a few things:

Politics: There are 50 shades of red, no blue to speak of.
Religion: The number of churches in some places outnumber the number of gas stations.
Football: It is a religion, not a sport.
Plant growth: Long warm seasons, adequate moisture, lots of sun = huge amounts of effort expended keeping nature from eating you alive.
Education - or lack thereof: It can be a culture shock.

As always, my suggestion is to not buy into any area immediately, but rent first to get a lay of the land and see if the place actually fits.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The humidity is terrible. It is in every place you've named.
Define terrible. Humidity means different things to different people. Believe it or not, CT can be extremely humid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I sometimes think that people who say anywhere along the gulf coast has four seasons has never lived anywhere with a 'typical' winter. It can get chilly and very occasionally downright cold, but being able to walk on the beach at Dauphin Island in a long sleeve T and a pair of shorts during Christmas break doesn't scream 'winter' to me.

(Northeast TN is very similar to western NC, without the taxes on everything. Johnson City is only a 30-40 minute drive from Asheville)
Agreed - long sleeves and shorts is not winter at all. My friend in NC has to use the heat in his garage when it's 60-65 outside - which cracks me up. I'm in shorts then. (I know, I know - some day it will seem cold to me too)

So NC does have higher taxes than TN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Bulltickie! I grew up in the part of Vermont where the leafpeeper traffic is now like city driving. Not only are there seasons here, but I've seen some falls where the color was every bit as good as Vermont.

Somewhere a little north of Birmingham and Atlanta is where the seasons begin to merge together.

Anyone moving to the southeast has to be fully aware of a few things:

Politics: There are 50 shades of red, no blue to speak of.
Religion: The number of churches in some places outnumber the number of gas stations.
Football: It is a religion, not a sport.
Plant growth: Long warm seasons, adequate moisture, lots of sun = huge amounts of effort expended keeping nature from eating you alive.
Education - or lack thereof: It can be a culture shock.

As always, my suggestion is to not buy into any area immediately, but rent first to get a lay of the land and see if the place actually fits.
I wish I had a picture of the overloaded one, but when entering towns in WV there were usually a section of chain link with different town organizations attached to it. Most of them were churches and these were tiny towns! One of them had signs hanging all of the side of it as they had run out of room.

I'm not much into sports either. Or <GASP> Nascar. I know, I'm a bad person.

Education - often I find that people who aren't book educated are incredibly smart in common sense and old-time knowledge that's fallen by the wayside. I find them fascinating and love talking to them about life and how they do things.

Not touching politics with a 10' pole!

And really, I've had seasons all my life. Because I hate winter, I end up dreading fall. It would be nice to enjoy the entire year again. Fall is not always spectacular up here anyway - depends on temp and rain levels.

I agree with renting first in general, but I don't think it will be an option for us with the cars we will be moving down. It's really going to depend on if we keep either of our houses up here as rentals and feel comfortable leaving some stuff behind for awhile.

Picking locations to check out are first and foremost though, we can work out the rest when the time comes. Unless one of us stumbles into a financial windfall, it's not happening in the next year or so, so we have some time to think things through.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:50 PM

26,617 posts, read 25,293,539 times
Quote:
Define terrible. Humidity means different things to different people. Believe it or not, CT can be extremely humid. ...
Sitting out on the deck at 1AM wearing a tank top and baggy shorts sweating, with my glass of cold tea pressed to my forehead because it was still hot. I grew up in PA with no air conditioning, so it wasn't new to me.

A North Carolina summer was a different beast. At least to me.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Sitting out on the deck at 1AM wearing a tank top and baggy shorts sweating, with my glass of cold tea pressed to my forehead because it was still hot. I grew up in PA with no air conditioning, so it wasn't new to me.

A North Carolina summer was a different beast. At least to me.
I've spent time in Harrisburg in the summer - it was pretty humid.

Where in NC?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:54 PM

11,374 posts, read 14,992,740 times
Quote:
So NC does have higher taxes than TN?
If you google 'tax burden by state' and click on just about any of the results (some are more reliable/legit sites than others) TN is usually somewhere in the bottom five, NC is generally middle of the pack between 25 and 30, CT in the top ten. TN has no real income tax (other than a tax on dividends) but a pretty high sales tax, although the governor just passed a bill that will decrease tax on food while raising it a bit on gas. Property tax varies but generally outside of city limits they are usually quite low, compared to some other places they are ridiculously low. My 1100 ft, 85k house inside city limits runs a little over $900 a yr in property taxes, if it was located outside city limits it would only be around $500 a yr.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:36 AM

3,755 posts, read 7,633,597 times
Quote:
Thanks! TX is a big state and one I hadn't considered. Which part?
Northern and central are where I would recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living