U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:36 AM

10,937 posts, read 12,846,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We owned property in Norwich Ct for 20 years. I was stationed at Groton a few times during my Active Duty career. After I retired we settled in Maine.

We have a large new house on Solar Power on 150 acres of woodlot, with 1/4 mile of river frontage. I tap maples, I have honey bees, we have a large garden and we raise pigs. We are vendors in Farmer's Markets.

Our land is two parcels, they came to $70,000 and another $50,000 to build the house [it is a 2400 sq ft house]. The Cost-Of-Living is very low here. My pension is not anywhere near high enough to become taxed. Even with a little farm income we slide well below the lowest tax bracket to pay income taxes. Our property taxes are around $850/year.

If you enjoy hiking, hunting, fishing, trapping, kayaking, snow sledding this is a great place to be.

So. Damn. Jealous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 08:25 AM

4,115 posts, read 2,430,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patois View Post
I'm from Louisiana...as much as I love the south,if I had MONEY and had the same desires as you,I would pick Idaho.Idaho is very rural but is not to bitter in winter,beautiful,peaceful, and has small town feel everywhere but Boise and even surrounding areas produce wine. Idaho has three different terrain types, and for a northeastern we, wouldn't be expensive. Atleast there,they don't have blistering summers like we do sown here. I came back home to build my life,but when things REALLY takeoff, that's where I will look. I think Twin Falls has the atmosphere you seek and a little something extra
That's really interesting! I have three friends who have lived out there at various times and their tales of winter were horrible. One lived in an area where they had about 2 months of pure summer. Otherwise it was cold, brutal winter, then mud season. Looks like that southeastern corner isn't too bad though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
So. Damn. Jealous.
Hah aren't we all Well except for the snow and sub-zero weather

Old 01-10-2018, 08:47 AM

183 posts, read 144,565 times
Default LOL @ Winter Horror Stories

[quote=WouldLoveTo;50653722]That's really interesting! I have three friends who have lived out there at various times and their tales of winter were horrible. One lived in an area where they had about 2 months of pure summer. Otherwise it was cold, brutal winter, then mud season. Looks like that southeastern corner isn't too bad though.

YES. It depends on the elevation, but also the altitude...I was down there in MAY and thought I'd be clever and take the 93 from Missoula going south...I ran into a fierce enough snow storm that I had to pull over...now that Twin Falls area and even Pocatello (or however-the-heck one spells or pronounces it) is decent. The southeastern corners have Mormons because Salt Lake City, UT is NOT far...like around 2-3 hours, so just be advised of the culture shock, but I swear I felt so welcomed visiting. The people are so friendly and the streets are so clean. But I cannot stress enough what a desert paradise it is...yes, desert, and yes, terrestrial paradise. I go nearby to Elko County Nevada (just 2 hours south) at least once a year. Also in Idaho is a lil Basque culture, which I enjoyed nearby as well.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:11 PM

I have to wonder what I would think about the terrain after coming from the lushness of the northeast... one of the reason TN and that area is high on my list. Won't know till I visit I guess!

Old 01-10-2018, 06:42 PM

24,013 posts, read 23,375,824 times
Tennessee and the 3 grand divisions as in the 3 stars on the Flag..

Tennessee Chambers of Commerce, TN Chamber List
Camping in Tennessee State Parks — Tennessee State Parks
https://www.nps.gov/biso/index.htm
https://www.nps.gov/obed/index.htm

If you like outdoors... Fishing - Hunting - Camping- Wild Life - Kayaking - Rock Climbing - and Antiques this is the place.
History every were you look - Blue Grass and Clogging on the porch - Moon Pie Festival - County Fairs - National Parks

Old 01-11-2018, 02:11 PM

8,262 posts, read 15,326,705 times
I'm a northeast transplant - grew up in NJ, raised my family in RI (25 yrs), then NYC for 15 years. We've been in SW TN for 5 years and we mostly love it. Our 2 issues: distance to VA hospital is 2 hrs (Memphis) and the same with airports. We started our search in NE TN because that's where I went to college. A problem for those of us with vertigo and balance issues because of the hills/mountains - but a gorgeous area, lush, good medical care, and access to airports and the drive to the NE can be done in a day. Also, there is public transportation available - at least far more available than SW TN. I miss the ocean and would be happier with a shorter drive to the gulf (5 hrs from NOLA), so I'm guessing about the same to the MS gulf shores.

Animal rescue - let me know if/when you move here and I'll put you in touch with people in whatever corner of this state you land. I've also got connections in other states.

It's pretty tolerant of those who aren't church people - at least we've not been ostracized for not belonging to a church and I've only had 2 people ask us what church we attend.

Goats, chicken, horses, pigs, rabbits, cows, donkeys, whatever you want, you can have them outside of city limits - and in many places even within. No house on the property? pitch a tent and begin the build. The only restriction is a state regulation requiring that you file the details of your septic system. Want to catch rainwater? just do it on a metal roof, not shingles as you don't want contaminated water even for watering your veggies. We have made 3 major improvements, alterations to our home - no need for permit.

Sales tax on food was a surprise to me. But the sales tax is no higher than NYC so it isn't a big issue. Property taxes are pretty low - but then the services aren't there, either. We pay for garbage removal, no streetlights, no snowplows either.

It's a nice life, quiet enjoyment is what we found.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Tennessee and the 3 grand divisions as in the 3 stars on the Flag..

Tennessee Chambers of Commerce, TN Chamber List
Camping in Tennessee State Parks — Tennessee State Parks
https://www.nps.gov/biso/index.htm
https://www.nps.gov/obed/index.htm

If you like outdoors... Fishing - Hunting - Camping- Wild Life - Kayaking - Rock Climbing - and Antiques this is the place.
History every were you look - Blue Grass and Clogging on the porch - Moon Pie Festival - County Fairs - National Parks
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I'm a northeast transplant - grew up in NJ, raised my family in RI (25 yrs), then NYC for 15 years. We've been in SW TN for 5 years and we mostly love it. Our 2 issues: distance to VA hospital is 2 hrs (Memphis) and the same with airports. We started our search in NE TN because that's where I went to college. A problem for those of us with vertigo and balance issues because of the hills/mountains - but a gorgeous area, lush, good medical care, and access to airports and the drive to the NE can be done in a day. Also, there is public transportation available - at least far more available than SW TN. I miss the ocean and would be happier with a shorter drive to the gulf (5 hrs from NOLA), so I'm guessing about the same to the MS gulf shores.

Animal rescue - let me know if/when you move here and I'll put you in touch with people in whatever corner of this state you land. I've also got connections in other states.

It's pretty tolerant of those who aren't church people - at least we've not been ostracized for not belonging to a church and I've only had 2 people ask us what church we attend.

Goats, chicken, horses, pigs, rabbits, cows, donkeys, whatever you want, you can have them outside of city limits - and in many places even within. No house on the property? pitch a tent and begin the build. The only restriction is a state regulation requiring that you file the details of your septic system. Want to catch rainwater? just do it on a metal roof, not shingles as you don't want contaminated water even for watering your veggies. We have made 3 major improvements, alterations to our home - no need for permit.

Sales tax on food was a surprise to me. But the sales tax is no higher than NYC so it isn't a big issue. Property taxes are pretty low - but then the services aren't there, either. We pay for garbage removal, no streetlights, no snowplows either.

It's a nice life, quiet enjoyment is what we found.
Here I am spending $4500 in property taxes for a small house on 1/5 of an acre - yes you read that right, it's less than one quarter. I think giving that up gives me a little wiggle room if food is taxed At least I hope so!

This is great to know about animal rescue! I know a few in the MD area but nothing as far south as TN.

Thanks so much Annie! We may be talking in the future

Old 01-14-2018, 09:01 PM

880 posts, read 1,913,979 times
Southern OH, Southern WV, Eastern KY, Eastern TN and maybe Western VA sound like where you need to be looking. All have beautiful lush scenery and temperate climates, and all are relatively close to the folks back home. Tax impacts might be your biggest factor in making your choice. Good luck in your seach.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:34 AM

6,170 posts, read 7,042,927 times
Northeast Tennessee.....hits all of your buttons. Don't go on the Carolina side of the mountains, or further south. Hot and humid.

Private message me with any questions.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:01 AM

160 posts, read 106,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Texas would likely suit you. It a warmer state and are gun friendly. Also there are cool small towns too.
Texas suits plenty of people but Texas is not too happy about outsiders...except Austin, TX...80% of the dern town aint even from there. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living