Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Vehicle Code allow nose in parking to save space?
No 26 50.00%
Yes 7 13.46%
Petition city traffic code enforcement or congressman 5 9.62%
Do nothing 14 26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:02 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I don't get it either. Please explain how having someone else's vehicle parked in the street in front of anyone's house creates a problem or hardship for anyone?
Because they block the walk to my front door. They should park in front of THEIR house, not mine.

This isn't occassional. It is every freakin' day. People now go to my SIDE DOOR because they can't see the walkway to my front door, because a**hat neighbors are blocking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 08:16 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Suggestion for your windows, buy some of that film that allows you to see out unobstructed, but does obstruct the outsider from seeing in. https://www.decorativefilm.com/produ...SAAEgIc-PD_BwE

There are motion sprinklers, perhaps put one near your front window, and I believe it would deter a kid from hanging out there. https://thez9.com/best-motion-sensor-sprinklers/

Have you ever gone out and just yelled at her to get the hell out of your yard? I think I'd try that.
The window film cuts light coming in - I have plants in front of these windows. They (and I) need all the sun we can get.

I've had to move my plants to the side windows where they don't get nearly as much light. The fence will allow me to put everything back the way I want it. Which is - plants in the window, annoying neighbors of all ages unable to enter the yard. I intend to put an alarm on the gate to the front door so I will know if it is opened. Dad won't be able to sneak into the yard and litter it with scrap. He'll still be able to toss tree limbs into my yard though. I have no way to stop that.

Motion sprinklers are not allowed here. This is a desert area and we are only allowed to "water" on certain days - so on off days when those get set off, a neighbor can report you for watering when you're not allowed to and the water company will rain hellfire down on you. NO automatic watering is allowed on off days. I could stand out there with a hose, but motion activated waterers are automatic and prohibited from operation on the off days.

The fact that my entire yard is xeriscaped, front and back, won't figure into it. And you can bet Daddy will call the water company out on me if his little darling gets wet and possibly frightened.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:18 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It sounds like you think you should be able to control the public street just because it's next to your property.
Nope, doesn't work that way. If everybody was like you, no one would be able to have multiple visitors park on the street.
Are you even bothering to read the posts??? We're not talking about visitors parking on the street. We're not talking about people from a train station.

We're talking about your next door neighbor continually parking in front of YOUR house, when his house has plenty of parking in front of it.

There is a HUGE difference in these situations.

/unsubscribe/ as there is no point in discussing this among people who don't even read the posts.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:12 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
Judging by some of the replies there's people here who do this (park next to other peoples houses instead of their own) Thankfully there's 2+ stall garages here and nobody around me parks in the street.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:02 AM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Are you even bothering to read the posts??? We're not talking about visitors parking on the street. We're not talking about people from a train station.

We're talking about your next door neighbor continually parking in front of YOUR house, when his house has plenty of parking in front of it.

There is a HUGE difference in these situations.

/unsubscribe/ as there is no point in discussing this among people who don't even read the posts.
People are reading. To me and others, however: no, there is not a huge difference between the situations you describe. Fundamentally, you're still complaining about someone parking on public property that happens to be in front of your house. That's the part that we object to.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:24 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
People are reading. To me and others, however: no, there is not a huge difference between the situations you describe. Fundamentally, you're still complaining about someone parking on public property that happens to be in front of your house. That's the part that we object to.
Sure, instead of complaining, just park in front of the "offending" neighbor's house.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:44 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You don't get it.

You have a street where there are few, if any, cars parked on the street, because everyone has driveways & garages. You have a neighbor who owns a pickup truck that he parks directly in front of your house, even though there is nothing/nobody ever parked in front of his house.

Is it legal? Sure. Is it frustrating? Absolutely.

To me, the first step is simply to talk to the neighbor, and ask what's going on. The next steps are determined based on that talk.
Like what? If it's legal, what steps can you take to stop them from parking there?

Old 11-21-2017, 08:47 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Like what? If it's legal, what steps can you take to stop them from parking there?
You can do things like consistently park in front of their house, denying them the desired benefit of having the street in front of their own house left vacant. They obviously place a value on that, or they wouldn't be parking their cars, truck, RV, etc in front of someone else's house.

I do find it ironic that many people in this thread think that the people who don't want someone else's car in front of their house on a daily basis are selfish, yet they appear to think it's perfectly fine for that person parking their car in front of a neighbor's house every day to not want that same car in front of their own house.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:06 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I do find it ironic that many people in this thread think that the people who don't want someone else's car in front of their house on a daily basis are selfish, yet they appear to think it's perfectly fine for that person parking their car in front of a neighbor's house every day to not want that same car in front of their own house.
For my part, you've got it all wrong. Park where you will (legally, obviously don't crowd or block a driveway). It's a "wow, you must lead a Charmed life if THIS is your biggest irritation/complaint". Someone parking in front of my house is so far down the chain of things to worry about that I can't see it ever rising to the top. And should it ever become a concern, I hope I have the ability to step back, look at the situation and see that I've got it pretty good for such a petty concern to be something I gripe so much about.

I wonder though, for those who find this objectionable, do you consider yourself left of center or right of center politically? Rhetorical question, please don't answer that, thought it would be fun to confirm my suspicions.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:16 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
For my part, you've got it all wrong. Park where you will (legally, obviously don't crowd or block a driveway). It's a "wow, you must lead a Charmed life if THIS is your biggest irritation/complaint". Someone parking in front of my house is so far down the chain of things to worry about that I can't see it ever rising to the top. And should it ever become a concern, I hope I have the ability to step back, look at the situation and see that I've got it pretty good for such a petty concern to be something I gripe so much about.

I wonder though, for those who find this objectionable, do you consider yourself left of center or right of center politically? Rhetorical question, please don't answer that, thought it would be fun to confirm my suspicions.
I will answer your rhetorical question to say that I'm pretty far to the left, which I am guessing goes against your assumptions.

But the reality is that we all want to enjoy our little piece of the world, and as an adult, I have lived in apartment buildings, an apartment style condo, and a townhouse where there was limited guest parking that wasn't even all that close to my actual unit.

So it is important to me to be able to welcome guests to my home and for them to be able to park in front of my house where they can easily access my house, including utilizing the walkway across the grass that I paid to put in.

Why on earth is that considered unreasonable and selfish yet the the desire of my neighbor to NOT have cars in front of their house considered reasonable and fine?

Yes, of course it's a first world problem, but so is 90% of this forum. I'm allowed to be aggravated by this as are the others who feel the same way. It impacts my ability to enjoy my home as much as I want. It's no different than people playing loud music or having barking dogs outside or smoking on their balconies or all the other things that people find irritating by neighbors. Yet I don't see many people saying "well, if that petty thing was the worst thing that ever happened to you, you should consider yourself lucky." No one is saying it's the worst thing in their life, just that when it happens all the time for no good reason other than someone else's selfishness, it's annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living