Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 06:45 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
May I make a suggestion?

If you expect to live there for any length of time, choose a conservative area.

Because you will become more so, as you become older!
As others have stated, that's a common myth. Maybe it was true at one time, but these days? Don't think so! I'm 41 years old, btw, and still as liberal as ever - if not more so. And given the current state of things, I have a feeling even more will be "coming to the dark (liberal) side" before 2020. Hehe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 07:42 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrev View Post
In her laundry list of life goals she said she wanted to get married, but not have children.

As a women who also wanted to get married, and not have children I know the road she's been down.
Umm, yeah, well, that was me, and I did marry, and my husband never wanted kids, either. I was commenting on the other poster’s statement that the OP had to be thin and beautiful, implying that non-maternal women HAVE TO BE thin and beautiful to find a husband. I can think of many examples to the contrary, including myself. NONE of us is a glamor queen.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:21 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,249,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceQueenJacqueline View Post
Good day!

I am a 23 year old woman, and in a couple years I want to move out of Texas. I am having trouble finding a place that fits my criteria. It seems like all liberal states are expensive and freezing in the winter.

Here is what I am looking for:
Low crime (this is an absolute requirement)
Not a big city like Dallas, Austin, Chicago, or Boston (this is an absolute requirement)
Weather: mild or warm. Doesn’t get in the teens or below freezing. I can’t physically and mentally handle freezing cold, rainy, windy weather. Especially if it is happening all at once. (This is an absolute requirement)
Affordable for recent grad starting a job in social work. I suspect I will be making between 40i and 60k a year (this is an absolute requirement)
Liberal and/or progressive. It’s okay if the state is conservative as long as there are liberal pockets (high priority)
Small town or small city. A small town should be within an hour drive or less from a big city. Preferably one that had a University or teaching hospital. (High to very high priority)
Good for hiking, walking, lots of scenery like forests, parks, hills, nature trails. Fancy restaurants and nightlife are not important to me. (Mid to high priority)
I don’t plan on raising a family. I would like to get married eventually. So a median age around 35 would be good. (Low to mid priority).
Good public transportation (low priority).

Thank you!!!

So many beautiful places and people would be available to you if it weren't for that "liberal" requirement you are so adamant about. Maybe you should rec-check your tolerance levels??

SS

P.S. If you happen to meet a nice guy and start dating at some point, do NOT show him this post. If he has any notion of marrying you, this will change his mind. I promise you that.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As others have stated, that's a common myth. Maybe it was true at one time, but these days? Don't think so! I'm 41 years old, btw, and still as liberal as ever - if not more so. And given the current state of things, I have a feeling even more will be "coming to the dark (liberal) side" before 2020. Hehe.

https://nypost.com/2017/07/01/why-th...te-republican/

Hehe.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleys.../#1222a5e37878

Hehe.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Not to mention, it's just such a stupid thing to argue about.

Why people persist in wasting their time trying to convince others that they'll eventually "come around" to "their" side, "just wait and see," is beyond me.

I never anticipate that others will change their minds on their beliefs.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:04 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceQueenJacqueline View Post
Good day!

I am a 23 year old woman, and in a couple years I want to move out of Texas. I am having trouble finding a place that fits my criteria. It seems like all liberal states are expensive and freezing in the winter.

Here is what I am looking for:
Low crime (this is an absolute requirement)
Not a big city like Dallas, Austin, Chicago, or Boston (this is an absolute requirement)
Weather: mild or warm. Doesn’t get in the teens or below freezing. I can’t physically and mentally handle freezing cold, rainy, windy weather. Especially if it is happening all at once. (This is an absolute requirement)
Affordable for recent grad starting a job in social work. I suspect I will be making between 40i and 60k a year (this is an absolute requirement)
Liberal and/or progressive. It’s okay if the state is conservative as long as there are liberal pockets (high priority)
Small town or small city. A small town should be within an hour drive or less from a big city. Preferably one that had a University or teaching hospital. (High to very high priority)
Good for hiking, walking, lots of scenery like forests, parks, hills, nature trails. Fancy restaurants and nightlife are not important to me. (Mid to high priority)
I don’t plan on raising a family. I would like to get married eventually. So a median age around 35 would be good. (Low to mid priority).
Good public transportation (low priority).

Thank you!!!
I don't think that your question is silly at all. I happen to disagree with your definition of "mild", though. I lived in Texas, and I found the weather their to be anything but "mild". I found summers to be hellish.

If you are looking for beautiful scenery, good hiking, parks, and good hiking weather, I'd reconsider that temperature cut off. Many people from the south, have the idea that winter temps in the teens are "the norm" in most of the northern half of the US.

My wife is originally from the south. She is also a social worker, who is a liberal. So, I know something about this topic. Do you have a BSW or an MSW? Most areas other than rural areas or the deep south, require MSWs.

If you move somewhat north, your salary as a social worker will also increase exponentially.

For beautiful scenery, and a relatively mild climate, I'd suggest Little Rock AR, Morgantown WV (both places are pretty moderate politically, as is NW Arkansas, largely because of the presence of large research universities.

Morgantown is not a densely urban city.

If you could live with some snow, I know of places that would fill the bill perfectly. I am not suggesting that you move to Maine or North Dakota, but the Middle Atlantic, Midwest, and Northeast have places that fill every part of your bill - but warm weather.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:25 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
May I make a suggestion?

If you expect to live there for any length of time, choose a conservative area.

Because you will become more so, as you become older!
Totally disagree. That has not been my experience, nor the experience of any of my cohort group from seminary.

I was a moderate Republican, until I was in my late 20s.

Since the OP is a Social Worker, a noble profession that leans left, I am assuming that she wants to receive a salary that is commensurate with her education. I strongly suggest that she search ONLY in blue states.
My wife is in her early 60s and has had her MSW for 34 years now. Needless to say, I know many Social Workers. All are varying shades of blue.

To the poster who said that New England is calling the OP's name - +one and I have to agree!

Old 07-16-2018, 10:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Any college town with some money will fit your bill. College bound people have money so they can afford to be very liberal. The poorer hard working types tend to be more conservative. It isn't easy finding a inexpensive place that is very liberal. The wealthiest places are all super left wing. Poorer places tend to be more right wing since they feel as they have been cheated. So, my answer is a college town. Most that can afford to go to college will have enough money to be liberal.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:48 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
I would suggest looking into the areas near Tallahassee and Gainesville. They meet just about all the requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living