Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,043 times

Advertisements

Northern California, coastal Washington state and Oregon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 04:23 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
So many beautiful places and people would be available to you if it weren't for that "liberal" requirement you are so adamant about. Maybe you should rec-check your tolerance levels??
Why, though? We all know what we like or dislike, and wanting to live in a region that's compatible with one's views (in terms of policies and political actions) has nothing to do with "tolerance." I tolerate people with differing views just fine, but that doesn't mean I want to live in a state/county run by them. You also have to consider the tolerance of those they'd be living around, if there's anything specific that might cause a rift... for example, if you aren't white and/or heterosexual, that's something to consider before relocating anywhere.

Quote:
P.S. If you happen to meet a nice guy and start dating at some point, do NOT show him this post. If he has any notion of marrying you, this will change his mind. I promise you that.
What exactly would make you say that? The fact that she doesn't want children? If that's what you're picking on, I think it's smart to filter out anyone who'd be opposed to this. I mean, what else are you expecting them to do - marry a man, and THEN say "guess what??"

She also said "median age of 35(ish) preferred," which automatically filters out a good chunk of those who are looking to have babies. I'm 41, and most of the men in my age group either already have them, don't want any, or could go either way. It's rare to find anyone over a certain age, male or female, whose priority is going to be procreating. And if it is, they'll be looking at younger women (since we have a limited window of time) anyway.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrev View Post
also you say you want to get married yet you do not want children. In this day in age it takes two incomes and no man is going to want to marry you unless you can pull your own weight financially. I was the breadwinner in my previous marriage and it was no fun. I supported my partner and his child and it was eventually the demise of our marriage. I do not blame men today for wanting a woman who makes an equal salary to them . Especially if you don't plan on having children.

Hope you're thin and beautiful, or you going to be single for Life girl.

and i say this as a woman in her forties with a high paying career.
She's just a kid with no life experience looking for Utopia. If she gets married soon, it will be a starter husband who believes what she says she wants. I have known several recent graduates who swore they did not want children. A decade later they made great mothers with their second husband.

You're 100% right that children are expensive. If she thinks college was expensive, wait until she has a baby.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:06 PM

4,613 posts, read 3,005,102 times
Someone already mentioned San Luis Obispo (central coast of CA). It should meet your requirements for weather and such, but being as it's a college town, you might have trouble finding a job (other than at the university). About 30 miles away is a similar-sized community called Santa Maria... crime is probably higher there than in SLO, but not like in a big city.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:26 PM

409 posts, read 293,329 times
I would agree with the suggestion of getting a "starter" job someplace you can at least tolerate, staying a couple or a few years to get some experience, and then considering where you want to go. You'll have more options with some experience under your belt.

I'd recommend someplace within easy driving distance of a college town, so that you can be around younger people, but not right in the town, because lots of people of all ages like to live in college towns for the amenities and housing prices can be high. Just avoid the vicinity of college towns with social work programs!

Someone already mentioned Eureka Springs, AR, which you might want to check out.

Like another poster, I also rented a room (half of the bottom floor of an old house, actually) after I got out of graduate school. It allowed me to live in a better neighborhood than I could've afforded otherwise and I didn't have to have a roommate.

Believe it or not (this is not aimed at you, OP), some young women actually do know their own minds. I knew when I was 19 that having children was not for me. Met a man who felt the same way, and after almost 40 years together we are still happy and have no regrets. And he was also fine with the fact that my chosen profession doesn't pay big bucks--and vice versa. There are other values in life. Also, I have not magically turned into a conservative in my dotage, though my husband, a conservative, has become more liberal thanks to the recent political climate.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
She's just a kid with no life experience looking for Utopia. If she gets married soon, it will be a starter husband who believes what she says she wants. I have known several recent graduates who swore they did not want children. A decade later they made great mothers with their second husband.
And I've known several (myself included) who genuinely do NOT want children, and actually retain that feeling until they're past the typical child-bearing age... therefore we shouldn't really speculate either way, as there are plenty of folks who never have that desire. Thank goodness, as we're already over-populated as it is.

FYI: I will be 42 in a few months, so it's pretty certain I won't be changing my mind on this! Not even sure the "factory" still works at this point, lol.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
Believe it or not (this is not aimed at you, OP), some young women actually do know their own minds. I knew when I was 19 that having children was not for me. Met a man who felt the same way, and after almost 40 years together we are still happy and have no regrets. And he was also fine with the fact that my chosen profession doesn't pay big bucks--and vice versa. There are other values in life. Also, I have not magically turned into a conservative in my dotage, though my husband, a conservative, has become more liberal thanks to the recent political climate.
I just wrote basically the same, lol. But people always think "oh, she (it's usually aimed at women) will change her mind!!" Somehow that still hasn't happened for me after 41 years, and also like you, I haven't morphed into a conservative either. I guess some of us know what we want from a younger age, and don't have any reason or epiphany to change that.

Now, this will REALLY blow the minds of these people: I also don't care about getting married. Whaaaat?? A woman who is genuinely FINE with being single, and couldn't care less if that's the case until she dies? Whoa, crazy concept.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,684 times
A place that's liberal, affordable and has low crime? You won't find the combination.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:21 PM

643 posts, read 329,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
I would agree with the suggestion of getting a "starter" job someplace you can at least tolerate, staying a couple or a few years to get some experience, and then considering where you want to go. You'll have more options with some experience under your belt.

I'd recommend someplace within easy driving distance of a college town, so that you can be around younger people, but not right in the town, because lots of people of all ages like to live in college towns for the amenities and housing prices can be high. Just avoid the vicinity of college towns with social work programs!

Someone already mentioned Eureka Springs, AR, which you might want to check out.

Like another poster, I also rented a room (half of the bottom floor of an old house, actually) after I got out of graduate school. It allowed me to live in a better neighborhood than I could've afforded otherwise and I didn't have to have a roommate.

( 3RD PARAGRAPH)

Eureka Springs is a tourist town.

Population of only 2,086 and it declined 9% from 2,000-2014.

median household income in Eureka Springs is $35,754 while median income for Arkansas is $44,344

Mean while, median cost for houses is $168,772 while median cost for houses for Arkansas $123,3000

Also, much of the small town closes down in winter ( off tourist season )

I doubt there would be a big demand fo social workers in that small town.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:00 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
Morehead, Kentucky is a pretty, small but not tiny state university town with a small community of educated moderate liberals: doctors, clergy, lawyers, students, professionals. It's off I-64, about an hour and a half east of Lexington, in a wooded mountainous area close to large and scenic Cave Run Lake, which offers swimming, boating, and fishing, with hiking very close by. There are also traditional music and storytelling festivals annually, along with a lot of support for and interest in traditional Appalachian arts and crafts.

The general area is rural and conservative but not ironbound - no KKK or anti-Semites that I am aware of. As in other rural areas, meth and other drugs are a serious problem, but most folks are good friendly and honest people of modest means who just want to live good lives and see their kids do well.

Climate is temperate and includes four seasons. Fall is especially gorgeous along the tree-lined lake, and spring is lovely. Winter is - winter, but it's not as severe or as long as farther north and usually includes warm days and sunshine interspersed with the more typically wintry weather. You will certainly experience some snow and freezing temps. in Morehead, however. Spring arrives in March and is always welcome, though occasionally floods usher it in. Morehead is not located on a river, however. Summers are hot and often sticky, but that's what the beach at the lake is for.

Cost of living can be very reasonable, if you pick up one of the older wooden vacation cabins near the lake - many (but not all) were hastily built for quick profit, so need updates and maintenance, but prices are remarkably low. Cabins typically include fireplaces and two or three bedrooms. They are on septic tanks and may require water to be hauled or a catchment system and cistern. All have electricity, however. More recently build vacation cabins in this area offer more amenities and appear to be better constructed.

The lake area adjoins the stunning Daniel Boone National Forest -it's quiet on weekdays, and if you can stand the roar and destruction of ATVs every weekend, you can do well there and still reach Morehead in about twenty minutes or so.

Good luck with your search. I think Morehead might come close to meeting most of your preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living