Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 4,934 times

Advertisements

I think it was Churchill who said "If you are not a liberal at 20 , you have no heart. If you are not a conservative at 40, you have no brain. I can certainly identify with that statement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 09:14 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Based on this statement I have to assume we're either dealing with a spammer or someone completely out of touch with reality.

Claimed age of 23 and just out of the brain-washing institution, I'll go with completely out of touch for 100 Alex. Nothing wrong with that, I went through it too. Actually, only a small handfull of people I've known in the early 20's that wern't out of touch, most had their hard lessons much earlier though.

And it wasn't Churchill with that quote, it pre-dates him by a couple hundred years (no verified origin that I've seen).

Hope the OP isn't put-off by us old crusty fuddy-duddies...

Old 07-13-2018, 09:32 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,147,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Claimed age of 23 and just out of the brain-washing institution, I'll go with completely out of touch for 100 Alex. Nothing wrong with that, I went through it too. Actually, only a small handfull of people I've known in the early 20's that wern't out of touch, most had their hard lessons much earlier though.

And it wasn't Churchill with that quote, it pre-dates him by a couple hundred years (no verified origin that I've seen).

Hope the OP isn't put-off by us old crusty fuddy-duddies...
You made me laugh out loud. I was thinking the exact same thing. $40-60k a year for social work? I have friends who live in a high COL place with higher salaries and even they don't make that much after several years of experience. OP is living in a dream world but maybe it is a spammer.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:38 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
LIBERAL, “Classic” versus “Neo”

The Classic Liberal (18th century) supported ideas such as free and fair elections, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, free trade, and a right to life, liberty, and private property ownership.

The NeoLiberal (21st century) supports ideas such as social justice, expropriation of property for the benefit of the needy, compelled labor for the benefit of another, and government management of the economy. Those ideas are contrary to classical liberalism, and are an assault upon absolute ownership of private property, natural and personal liberty and the freedom to exercise same.
. . .
A classic liberal would be welcome just about any place in America.
A neoliberal would not.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 AM

615 posts, read 1,375,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceQueenJacqueline View Post
Liberal and/or progressive. It’s okay if the state is conservative as long as there are liberal pockets (high priority)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
May I make a suggestion?

If you expect to live there for any length of time, choose a conservative area.

Because you will become more so, as you become older!
It is a good idea to consider the suggestion of Nor'Eastah. Here is an example of someone who is liberal, and moved from a liberal area to a more conservative region, and she said it improved her life:

I moved from a blue state to a red state and it changed my life

You may want to consider a place like Terre Haute, Indiana. It is a college town in a red state, thus likely to less conservative than the state overall, and would likely offer opportunities to be employed in social work. It may have relatively cold winters, but with a location in southwestern Indiana, it is not likely to be as cold in winter as places farther north. I expect summer weather will be hot and humid.

An interesting fact about Vigo County, the county that Terre Haute is situated in, is that it voted for President Obama two times, in 2008 and 2012, but voted for President Trump in 2016. Thus, it is an example of county where many of its Trump voters were people who voted for Obama one or two times. Also, the Wikipedia page for the county states, "In statewide races for governor and the U.S. Senate, Vigo County has in recent years become more receptive to candidates from the Democratic Party, even when the county had simultaneously voted for a Republican presidential victor in question." Thus, the Terre Haute area does not appear to be a blue or red area, more like a purple area. Thus, I would consider moving to Terre Haute to be an open-minded decision that will easily enable you to meet people of differing political perspectives.

Last edited by Highpointer; 07-13-2018 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 11:21 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,483,029 times
Sorry but if you want forests then there will be some cold weather involved. That's just how it works. Unless you're in Florida.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:50 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
May I make a suggestion?

LOL, I'm almost 67 and still a liberal! (always have been)

How old does one have to be for this magical transformation to take place?

Old 07-13-2018, 03:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
LOL, I'm almost 67 and still a liberal! (always have been)

How old does one have to be for this magical transformation to take place?
But... r u rural?

Do you make your living from the land using your own 2 little bare hands?

Old 07-13-2018, 03:15 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Quote:
May I make a suggestion?

I have heard that line for decades. At 59 I am at least as liberal as I was at 18 and possibly more so. I would check out Asheville, Durham, or Austin. Eureka Springs might work for you as well.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:19 PM

403 posts, read 620,069 times
Asheville, NC, Athens, GA, Nashville could also work if you want a bigger metro (although Athens is only 90 minutes from Atlanta most of the time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living