Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 01:18 PM

3,320 posts, read 1,819,818 times

Advertisements

Bisbee or Jerome, AZ.
Silver City, NM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 02:14 PM

757 posts, read 838,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceQueenJacqueline View Post
Good day!

I am a 23 year old woman, and in a couple years I want to move out of Texas. I am having trouble finding a place that fits my criteria. It seems like all liberal states are expensive and freezing in the winter.

Here is what I am looking for:
Low crime (this is an absolute requirement)
Not a big city like Dallas, Austin, Chicago, or Boston (this is an absolute requirement)
Weather: mild or warm. Doesn’t get in the teens or below freezing. I can’t physically and mentally handle freezing cold, rainy, windy weather. Especially if it is happening all at once. (This is an absolute requirement)
Affordable for recent grad starting a job in social work. I suspect I will be making between 40i and 60k a year (this is an absolute requirement)
Liberal and/or progressive. It’s okay if the state is conservative as long as there are liberal pockets (high priority)
Small town or small city. A small town should be within an hour drive or less from a big city. Preferably one that had a University or teaching hospital. (High to very high priority)
Good for hiking, walking, lots of scenery like forests, parks, hills, nature trails. Fancy restaurants and nightlife are not important to me. (Mid to high priority)
I don’t plan on raising a family. I would like to get married eventually. So a median age around 35 would be good. (Low to mid priority).
Good public transportation (low priority).

Thank you!!!
Fernandina Beach, FL.
St. Mary's, GA
St. Simon Island, GA

All 3 of the above are in proximity to Jacksonville, FL.

Others might be Biloxi, MS and along the coast in that region.

I am assuming you plan on finding employment first and foremost since everything else is completely dependent on income. I do not keep up with salaries, but I tend to think social work wages start out pretty low. Do you think your expectations are a bit high in this regard?

I am never sure what liberal/progressive means anymore. I am guessing you are unlikely to find a gay pride parade in smaller communities but no doubt you will find all sorts of people. I would be interested if you would describe your liberal/progressive requirements.

The good news is you know what you want and I am a big believer that geography plays a big role in quality of life.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:50 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Good day!

I am a 23 year old woman, and in a couple years I want to move out of Texas. I am having trouble finding a place that fits my criteria. It seems like all liberal states are expensive and freezing in the winter.

Not a big city like Dallas, Austin, Chicago, or Boston (this is an absolute requirement)
Weather: mild or warm. Doesn’t get in the teens or below freezing. I can’t physically and mentally handle freezing cold, rainy, windy weather. Especially if it is happening all at once. (This is an absolute requirement)
Affordable for recent grad starting a job in social work. I suspect I will be making between 40i and 60k a year (this is an absolute requirement)
Liberal and/or progressive. It’s okay if the state is conservative as long as there are liberal pockets (high priority)
Small town or small city. A small town should be within an hour drive or less from a big city. Preferably one that had a University or teaching hospital. (High to very high priority)
Good for hiking, walking, lots of scenery like forests, parks, hills, nature trails. Fancy restaurants and nightlife are not important to me. (Mid to high priority)
I don’t plan on raising a family. I would like to get married eventually. So a median age around 35 would be good. (Low to mid priority).

Thank you!!!
Liberal area together with low crime ...GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-15-2018, 05:54 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
May I make a suggestion?

If you expect to live there for any length of time, choose a conservative area.

Because you will become more so, as you become older!
Not necessarily...or to the degree to qualify as a full blown conservative.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:58 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
In general, since you're just starting out - I'd make getting the best JOB the priority and the location secondary. First job and its salary can set the entire tone of your career as a career is built on the salary of the prior job in many cases.

Just like I'd advise a young woman to never move for a BF or maybe even a fiance, I'd say you don't get all choosy about location if it means you take a lower paying job without a great future. PRIORITIES.... Look for a job NATION wide - you'll get a good one much faster with less settling. There will be more than enough settling if/when you get married and if/when you have kids.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Too bad about the cold. New England is calling.....

Otherwise, if not already mentioned, try Sarasota or Tampa, FL - Sarasota is more small town (mid-sized) and has everything, Tampa more big city.

Sarasota does have a lot of old people (all of Florida meets this)....but there is a young scene also. Plenty of massive state parks to hike, the legacy bike trail, beaches, water and much more.

A couple colleges....Ringling Arts and one other of the Florida colleges....

Tuscon or Flagstaff AZ fit some of the requirements also....

Good Luck...

Old 07-16-2018, 12:16 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Good day!

Thank you!!!
Come to Houston, its blue, affordable, 2 seasons - rain&shine, lots of jobs, diverse, growing city.

The midtown area is beautiful, has nice walking trails, walkable and has public transport and has one of the best medical centres in the world.

No real hiking but Memorial park is one large one and it extends upto 17 miles all along the city.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:39 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
May I make a suggestion?

If you expect to live there for any length of time, choose a conservative area.

Because you will become more so, as you become older!
Not!

Old 07-16-2018, 12:40 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Come to Houston, its blue, affordable, 2 seasons - rain&shine, lots of jobs, diverse, growing city.

The midtown area is beautiful, has nice walking trails, walkable and has public transport and has one of the best medical centres in the world.

No real hiking but Memorial park is one large one and it extends upto 17 miles all along the city.

You left out the obnoxious humidity and the occasional HURRICANE!

Old 07-16-2018, 12:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
In general, since you're just starting out - I'd make getting the best JOB the priority and the location secondary. [b]... PRIORITIES.... Look for a job NATION wide - you'll get a good one much faster with less settling. ...
except I would look WORLDWIDE (international preferred)
Sooner the better! (EZr when young).

I got a LOT of future value / wage benefit since I was willing to 'take-the-risk' for the company and move my family overseas (4x). SO much ezr single

Intl employement is a BIG item for certain future employers (shows a LOT of commitment, since you are uprooted and working 12 - 16 hrs days and LOTS of travel (daily!) Paid to travel + Higher wages, better assignments when (if) you return home. + FREE vacation (when you have a few moments to enjoy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living