Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 01:28 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times

Advertisements

You've got a long look ahead of you, to find a place with all those qualities. Forty years ago, it would have been easier. But if such a town existed today, half the country would want to move there and it would change fast, for the worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 07:12 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Asheville, NC
Durham, NC
Hillsborough, NC

Plenty of other pockets of liberals in NC. Just do a search for a red/blue map.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:09 AM

643 posts, read 329,807 times
usually "liberal" and " affordable" creates an oxymoron

Asheville NC seems to get mentioned a lot.

Median house hold income of Asheville NC is 10% lower than NC average while median cost of house/condo is 50% higher than NC average

typical for many " liberal, trendy" places.

Last edited by Melchisedec; 07-16-2018 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-16-2018, 08:52 AM

176 posts, read 177,324 times
also you say you want to get married yet you do not want children. In this day in age it takes two incomes and no man is going to want to marry you unless you can pull your own weight financially. I was the breadwinner in my previous marriage and it was no fun. I supported my partner and his child and it was eventually the demise of our marriage. I do not blame men today for wanting a woman who makes an equal salary to them . Especially if you don't plan on having children.

Hope you're thin and beautiful, or you going to be single for Life girl.

and i say this as a woman in her forties with a high paying career.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:35 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anrev View Post
also you say you want to get married yet you do not want children. In this day in age it takes two incomes and no man is going to want to marry you unless you can pull your own weight financially. I was the breadwinner in my previous marriage and it was no fun. I supported my partner and his child and it was eventually the demise of our marriage. I do not blame men today for wanting a woman who makes an equal salary to them . Especially if you don't plan on having children.

Hope you're thin and beautiful, or you going to be single for Life girl.

and i say this as a woman in her forties with a high paying career.
What the heck does this have to do with the OP’s questions?

Old 07-16-2018, 01:20 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,728,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
May I make a suggestion?

If you expect to live there for any length of time, choose a conservative area.

Because you will become more so, as you become older!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffjbost View Post
I think it was Churchill who said "If you are not a liberal at 20 , you have no heart. If you are not a conservative at 40, you have no brain. I can certainly identify with that statement!
This is the conventional wisdom, but I've never believed it. I have gotten more liberal as I've aged. My parents are now more liberal than they ever were and we are all truly disgusted by "conservatives".

I see I am not alone in my observation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
LOL, I'm almost 67 and still a liberal! (always have been)

How old does one have to be for this magical transformation to take place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I have heard that line for decades. At 59 I am at least as liberal as I was at 18 and possibly more so. I would check out Asheville, Durham, or Austin. Eureka Springs might work for you as well.

I cannot think of any rural, liberal areas that never go below freezing. Vermont or Western Mass could fit the bill, but they certainly go below freezing. More and more, rural really means conservative, as most of the liberals leave those areas. Maybe someplace in AZ or NM might work, but they're not exactly liberal. Santa Fe does get below freezing. Tucson is too big, according to your criteria.

The only other locations I though of are in NC, although again, they do get below freezing, and aren't a perfect fit either.

Savannah, GA?

Again, though, rural places pay less. I doubt you'll get a social work salary as high as you want in most of these places.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Liberal area together with low crime ...GOOD LUCK!
This isn't difficult to find at all.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
usually "liberal" and " affordable" creates an oxymoron

Asheville NC seems to get mentioned a lot.

Median house hold income of Asheville NC is 10% lower than NC average while median cost of house/condo is 50% higher than NC average

typical for many " liberal, trendy" places.
Yes, COL generally goes up the more desirable a location is.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:40 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Gainesville, FL
Boulder City, NV
Granbury, TX

Old 07-16-2018, 02:12 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
In general, since you're just starting out - I'd make getting the best JOB the priority and the location secondary. First job and its salary can set the entire tone of your career as a career is built on the salary of the prior job in many cases.
I agree with that - one should not be concerned about where a job is located. Choose the best job that you can find, wherever you can find it. Once you get good experience, that you can have more choices on where to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living