U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 10:59 PM

2,373 posts, read 6,022,466 times

Advertisements

If you moved from a large/larger urban area to a small town - either within the same state or elsewhere, how did you go about finding your landing spot? What brought you there to begin with? And has it met your expectations since moving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 06:31 AM

14,577 posts, read 14,446,582 times
We moved from the edges of a smaller rural town in the UK to the edges of a very small village in a large rural area of SW France.

We have enjoyed many trips to France over the decades and always enjoyed it and we both spoke French reasonably well.

We had had enough of the UK and now could not imagine going back.

We did a lot of homework online to narrow down where we wanted, or thought we wanted to go. We could have gone anywhere in Europe or elsewhere, but by doing exploring via trips to France and by chatting to people, especially a realtor we met at The France Show in London our search area evolved to being further south, and further east from our initial area of search.

I think that it has surpassed our expectations. The area is gorgeous, and whilst there are things like the occasional fierce storm, and much higher summer temperatures, it is great.

Property is far less expensive than in the area of the UK we moved from. It meant that for far less cost than our UK house we have renovated a house here with great views, a good plot of land with swimming pool and with more peace and quiet than we had before.

Life here is not without its challenges, and there are all the issues with getting settled into another Country, and with improving our language skills.

No turning back for us though.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:43 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,650,097 times
Both my wife and I are from small, rural, areas (no more than 10k people in the area). We Like those kinds of areas and travel/visit the same. Everytime we meet a transplant from a more urban environment who've move there, it's because they found it while looking for a quiet place to retire. So, Finding a place seems to be as simple as looking for a place ~ the more requirements, the better/easier to hone in.

Can't help with living up to expectations. It's never worked for me (moving somewhere I Wanted to be), always failed to live up to the expectations. Moving somewhere for Other reasons (work mostly, family a couple times) worked out better.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:08 AM

27,091 posts, read 6,628,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
If you moved from a large/larger urban area to a small town - either within the same state or elsewhere, how did you go about finding your landing spot? What brought you there to begin with? And has it met your expectations since moving?

Found a house via Internet I liked in a rural area....no real reason for the decision other than that. It's 20min from the nearest town so it's a bit far out but no problems because of that. Just coordinate errands, shopping...buying for several weeks instead of one. Wanted peace, quiet and natural beauty with creatures that go along with living in the mountains...got all that here.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:16 AM

854 posts, read 1,924,277 times
My move was facilitated by a decreased need to commute into a city center, so I could consider properties further from my office there. I had always wanted a large piece of land, being a nature lover, so I used Zillow to search for properties over a certain acreage. The initial property I found was not the one I bought, but having met a local real estate agent when visiting that first property, I was able to inform him of my preferences. He found the home/property exactly fitting what I was looking for, and arranged a viewing the day before it was listed for sale. I was able to act quickly during the first week after listing before any other offers could be made.

My expectations have been exceeded, especially by the strength of the small community. People here value relationships, which are not transactional and transient in the way they are in a city.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:12 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,847,403 times
I was raised in a small town and after decades of city life, I wanted to return to small town living for my retirement years. My DH and I had vacationed regularly in the area where we now live, and I always loved the small town feel and friendliness of the place. We looked for a place in town (population around 9,000) but when we were ready to buy, we had to go out a ways to find a house that worked for us. So we live in an even smaller village of 2,000 that's about 20 minutes from the town proper.

My expectations have been exceeded. The people here are down to earth, services such as medical, dental, repairs, etc. have been no problem, and I have made more friends here in four years than I did in Minneapolis in 38 years--the genuine type of friends who spontaneously offer to bring over soup when you’re not feeling well, or take care of your dog if you have to be gone for the day. And I feel the peace and quiet have been a lifesaver for me. The only real adjustments I had to make were around shopping and dining out. There's not much variety of either around here, but the peace and quiet are worth it.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:23 AM

6,133 posts, read 3,304,929 times
We moved from a metro area to a small town in another state. We had heard of it before and my DH’s friend really liked it, so we made a couple of visits before deciding to buy there.

Lessons learned:

* Do not give friends’ preferences much weight.
* Visit more than twice, and for longer periods.

We only lived there a few years. Natural surroundings, including the “gloomy” winters, were beautiful and for real. Other aspects of life there were, umm, let’s call it hard to believe, and getting worse.

When we decided to move away from there, we chose an area back in our previous state but in a different part of it that we had been to on vacations. We did not consider any input from friends at all. It has met all our expectations, both good and bad! We love it.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:31 AM

6,133 posts, read 3,304,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
My move was facilitated by a decreased need to commute into a city center, so I could consider properties further from my office there. I had always wanted a large piece of land, being a nature lover, so I used Zillow to search for properties over a certain acreage. The initial property I found was not the one I bought, but having met a local real estate agent when visiting that first property, I was able to inform him of my preferences. He found the home/property exactly fitting what I was looking for, and arranged a viewing the day before it was listed for sale. I was able to act quickly during the first week after listing before any other offers could be made.

My expectations have been exceeded, especially by the strength of the small community. People here value relationships, which are not transactional and transient in the way they are in a city.
Same for me on the dream of owning more than a speck of land. I still marvel at being able to actually hike on our own property and at being able to pick which of several nice hangout places to just sit and enjoy nature. Come fall, we will go camping right within our own parcel without seeing any buildings, not even our own.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:12 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,326,705 times
I grew up in a suburb of NYC, one of the most populous counties in NJ (at that time). After that, I moved to RI for 25+ years and then to Staten Island, NYC for 15. My husband grew up in northern NJ and Philadelphia. We purchased our retirement home in TN - in the country - a 25 min drive to a small town.

We found our home via internet. First we decided that we wanted to go to a warmer climate than the northeast, then narrowed it down to TN (income tax free), then decided we wanted to have no visible neighbors. So basically that moved us into country. We wound up in the mid-south, slightly closer to Memphis than to Nashville. We have 4 acres mostly wooded, paid off house in 8 years rather than 15, built a pool and deck, added 3 outbuildings, got a new roof, and then added 5 cats and 2 dogs. Of course, that's not counting the wildlife that live here also. Several deer, an armadillo that comes out to say hi during the day (supposedly that's rare), bunnies that like to say hello to the dogs, skunks, opossum, and enough frogs to feed all of France. Oh, and I've learned to tell the difference between snakes. My dog has not as she thinks they are all dangerous to me.

We've been here for almost 6 years and financially we are doing well, we've made new friends, but we're not travelling as we had planned due to the animals moving in with us. We are happy for the most part - but do miss our travelling and the beach. We definitely do not miss the city - traffic, loud neighbors, no privacy - did I mention loud neighbors?

Old 08-01-2018, 12:34 PM

1,229 posts, read 585,078 times
I am still looking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or