Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:34 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IMHO you know basically nothing about what this person can do with this property. You are making all sorts of assumptions based on your opinions, but have no facts to back it up. Your comment about commercial versus residential property doesn't make sense.

Your attorney friend would first have to research what the property is zoned for, and what permits/licenses the neighbor has gotten in order to operate. He probably has permits...probably wouldn't have been able to get the grants without them. There are probably plans for the facility on record with the city or county you could look at that would give you the true information. Just not liking how everything looks isn't enough. Sounds as if you didn't research what uses were being proposed or permitted for neighboring properties before buying yours.

They should not need an attorney friend to find out the zoning. All they have to do is go to the township zoning office or municipal building and ask. They should be willing to show maps of the different zones and explain about what permits the man has for that land. They should also explain problems they have with this owner if he is not following their ordinances. Then, if there is a problem, they should see their friend the attorney.

If that is the only water company and the OP is successful, in the long run; it might cost them more for water? Sometimes people can win and still lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 11:55 PM

110 posts, read 67,218 times
He has all permits the County requires. That's a given.
I know this because it is a small county. You could not get away with anything like that here.
Secondly, he's added a few HUGE trucks. He also owns other property here he could be using which is better suited
problem is the neighbors over there he's threatened and they all ganged up on him.
He doesn't control their water.

Yes, The County has had a ton of problems with him. Read it online already.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:40 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
I believe the legal case you're looking for is his business being a "nuisance." There is "private nuisance" and "public nuisance." Here's a good California lawyer website that explains it in a pretty clear way:

https://www.davidsternberg-law.com/A...lifornia.shtml

It may also be a crime, so you might be able to get your neighbors together and start complaining to your city/county attorney, etc.

https://www.losangelescriminallawyer...-nuisance.html

Good luck. What a pain. And by the way, I don't know how long you have owned your property, but is it possible that the previous owner and/or the real estate agent knew about the water project coming in and they hid it from you? If so, you could probably sue them, too. It would be worth also mentioning to an attorney, if you think that might be the case.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagelLover View Post
He has all permits the County requires. That's a given.
I know this because it is a small county. You could not get away with anything like that here.
Secondly, he's added a few HUGE trucks. He also owns other property here he could be using which is better suited
problem is the neighbors over there he's threatened and they all ganged up on him.
He doesn't control their water.

Yes, The County has had a ton of problems with him. Read it online already.

We cannot read anything online because you have given us no links. California is a large State. Unless you mean that you read it online?

Have you stopped at your zoning office to check and see if he has the permits and if his land is zoned for the business? One must never assume anything until they have done the leg work. If he is operating legally; then you have to learn to live with the noise.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I believe the legal case you're looking for is his business being a "nuisance." There is "private nuisance" and "public nuisance." Here's a good California lawyer website that explains it in a pretty clear way:

It may also be a crime, so you might be able to get your neighbors together and start complaining to your city/county attorney, etc.

Good luck. What a pain. And by the way, I don't know how long you have owned your property, but is it possible that the previous owner and/or the real estate agent knew about the water project coming in and they hid it from you? If so, you could probably sue them, too. It would be worth also mentioning to an attorney, if you think that might be the case.
Thank you. Well from looking at it, we were told it was a residential home. It looked much different than it does now. Looks like the orange caution ribbon and signs are staying. As is the even larger trucks hauling huge white and black pipes.

people here are afraid of him. Due to a mis-understaning, he actually shut our water off before we moved in. Though we paid him unknowingly realizing he lived next door.

Thank you for the links, I really appreciate it

Old 08-16-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We cannot read anything online because you have given us no links. California is a large State. Unless you mean that you read it online?

Have you stopped at your zoning office to check and see if he has the permits and if his land is zoned for the business? One must never assume anything until they have done the leg work. If he is operating legally; then you have to learn to live with the noise.
Thank you, I will check on that.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagelLover View Post
Thank you, I will check on that.

I do not know if California or your township operates like ours. Our Board of Commissioners hold public meetings where residents can air their views. Here is our schedule: https://www.poconopa.gov/calendar-by-event-type/16. One can go in and complain about a noisy neighbor in front of the Commissioners. Of course you have to be polite and follow Robert's Rules of Order: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert%27s_Rules_of_Order. You will only have a limited amount of time to state your case - so go prepared. Try not to speculate; state the facts. If other residents agree with your position; then you might form a group (which would have more power).

Old 08-17-2018, 11:12 AM

19,653 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Just, no. You don't sue everybody else - when it is the county allowing him to operate. OP has no idea what the previous owner knew and good luck proving it. If it is a legal business which it seems it is, there is no need for disclosure even if they knew. A case designed to only enrich lawyers.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:44 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,193,250 times
I would think they have to operate under some state laws, public utilities. Is the water tested occasionally by a third party? I would be afraid if a individual just having "guys" dumping chemicals into my water. Is it some kind of co-op water treatment and this guy is in charge. Or is it his own little business?

Old 08-18-2018, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I do not know if California or your township operates like ours. Our Board of Commissioners hold public meetings where residents can air their views. Here is our schedule: https://www.poconopa.gov/calendar-by-event-type/16. One can go in and complain about a noisy neighbor in front of the Commissioners. Of course you have to be polite and follow Robert's Rules of Order: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert%27s_Rules_of_Order. You will only have a limited amount of time to state your case - so go prepared. Try not to speculate; state the facts. If other residents agree with your position; then you might form a group (which would have more power).
We have supervisor meetings, I've been to a few
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living