Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 01:28 AM

110 posts, read 67,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I would think they have to operate under some state laws, public utilities. Is the water tested occasionally by a third party? I would be afraid if a individual just having "guys" dumping chemicals into my water. Is it some kind of co-op water treatment and this guy is in charge. Or is it his own little business?
This is his own little business. To my knowledge, there is no 3rd party testing. One neighbor says they are amateurs who don't know what they are doing. This seems the case. A few times I itched so bad I showered at a friends house. We haul water in from nearby to drink and water our garden.

There is a new law where there will be no future "little water company businesses" starting up. They have a higher likelihood of having problems with the water due to not being able to afford doing what is needed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Just, no. You don't sue everybody else - when it is the county allowing him to operate. OP has no idea what the previous owner knew and good luck proving it. If it is a legal business which it seems it is, there is no need for disclosure even if they knew. A case designed to only enrich lawyers.
I cannot imagine it would even come up to be part of any disclosure. A water company next door isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's became one the last 3 months though. I checked and it should be temporary but will be something endured for some months to come

I guess we'll just wait it out. We are looking to buy another home, fix it up and move in. The water situation here with him in charge makes me nervous. The payment is a bit more than what we want to pay anyway

Old 08-19-2018, 02:28 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Look at the facts as you state them.

It is the water company that supplies water to your subdivision. It is vital it keeps operating.

There are pipes that have to be replaced, which happens in all water systems everywhere.

Replacing pipes is noisy, and would happen even in a big city, same as for a small water company.

To replace the pipes, requires heavy equipment which makes noise which you want stopped. Impossible to do. And it will be required to be done during daylight hours.

You want that ugly equipment to be removed. Impossible to do, and get the pipes changed.

No matter what you think, the water will be tested, and chemicals added to keep water safe to drink. There are strict laws controlling this for public safety.

What is happening, happens in every city and yes in small water companies all over the country. It is called routine maintenance, and you have to live with it, just as others have to live with it, all over the country. All you are doing trying to stop it is making a fool of yourself. Keep it up, and the water company can get a restraining order against you to cease and decease your harassment of the water company, which is something I have seen happen. What he is doing is necessary for maintaining a safe water supply for his subscribers. You don't have to like it, so figure out how to hide the sounds so you can sleep.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Look at the facts as you state them.

It is the water company that supplies water to your subdivision. It is vital it keeps operating.

There are pipes that have to be replaced, which happens in all water systems everywhere.

Replacing pipes is noisy, and would happen even in a big city, same as for a small water company.

To replace the pipes, requires heavy equipment which makes noise which you want stopped. Impossible to do. And it will be required to be done during daylight hours.

You want that ugly equipment to be removed. Impossible to do, and get the pipes changed.

No matter what you think, the water will be tested, and chemicals added to keep water safe to drink. There are strict laws controlling this for public safety.

What is happening, happens in every city and yes in small water companies all over the country. It is called routine maintenance, and you have to live with it, just as others have to live with it, all over the country. All you are doing trying to stop it is making a fool of yourself. Keep it up, and the water company can get a restraining order against you to cease and decease your harassment of the water company, which is something I have seen happen. What he is doing is necessary for maintaining a safe water supply for his subscribers. You don't have to like it, so figure out how to hide the sounds so you can sleep.
This is untrue. This can be operational in a commercial area, not a small sub-division of 8 houses. He owns other properties, it's just he's burned them so bad he is uncomfortable operating there.

The rest of the info you've provided is a given, it's not disputed anywhere in this thread by anyone so unsure why it is included.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:53 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagelLover View Post
This is untrue. This can be operational in a commercial area, not a small sub-division of 8 houses. He owns other properties, it's just he's burned them so bad he is uncomfortable operating there.

The rest of the info you've provided is a given, it's not disputed anywhere in this thread by anyone so unsure why it is included.
So you are certain he is violating the legal zoning?

In my area commercial zoning is spotty and in some places mixed with residential.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:04 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:

In my area commercial zoning is spotty and in some places mixed with residential.

Even if it was zoned residential; the owner could have received a variance for the property. If the township felt that it was in the best interest of the community they do have the power to grant an 'exception' a variance or nonconformity usage.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:

No I am not certain at all. It is just my preference he not be so loud being so close to other homes.
This preference accounts for...not much I suppose
I'll just let it drop a while and hope it tones down after a bit. Thank you

Old 08-20-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Even if it was zoned residential; the owner could have received a variance for the property. If the township felt that it was in the best interest of the community they do have the power to grant an 'exception' a variance or nonconformity usage.
good to know, thank you

Old 08-20-2018, 11:52 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Actually, utilities such as water and power do not have to have commercial zoning. The subdivision when it was approved, had that lot designated for use as the water supplier for the subdivision. It was only approved, as it met all requirements to be used for that one purpose. Without the water supply approved the subdivision would not have been allowed to exist. The well location and the easements for the water lines are very much laid out in the plans for the subdivision. I know because I have done some subdivisions in the past, and it is a complicated process, especially in California where I understand you are located.

Water lines eventually have to be replaced. and is in the process of happening, provable by moving in the equipment, stock pilling the sand and gravel for the new trenches, etc. And yes it will get noisy, as the equipment and changing pipes is noisy. But sound, etc., is unavoidable.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:45 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,792,622 times
Am I the only one confused here?

Someone somehow is supplying water to 75-80 homes from their half acre property where they live? No oversight?

I get that there is construction noise and trucks the OP doesn't like. What I don't get is someone running a water treatment system for a subdivision from their backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living