Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 02:10 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
You would shoot a pet ... why would you. jeezus talk about gun control.. no control..

Of course we would shoot any animal running around with my pet cat/chicken/lamb/child/etc. in its mouth or threatening manner. You would stand for that??
So you believe it's perfectly acceptable to allow your pet to roam free through your neighbors yard/property doing its business there? Nope, not ok where I'm from, again or any state for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 02:19 PM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I guess that site is wrong then. lol I had a riff with a neighbor about our dog a couple of years ago. The county cop did come out and listened to the whining and then told her she lived in the county and there is no leash law. He got in his car and left. I asked a friend that is a cop about it and he said the same thing. There have not been any changes in the law since then. Dogs run about freely around here. Hell my neighbors dog is sleeping on my front porch half the time when I get home. I talk to him, pat him on the head and he goes home after I go inside. lol

It is getting pretty pathetic that our society thinks we should have a law for every single thing in life and when someone doesn't like something or the simplest of things happens they think somebody has to go to jail.
Looks like your deputies need to go for updates and refresher training:

https://www.edgarsnyder.com/dog-bite...-laws/#alabama

Apparently the County has to adopt the State statute:

https://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-3...ect-3-1-5.html

Some more Alabama:

http://www.aces.edu/urban/FamilyWebsite/UNP-0047.pdf

It looks from the last one that even if your County doesn't have a leash law that doesn't absolve the owner from being liable for any damages caused by a roaming dog.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:35 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Well, as I said before, I don't know why anyone who cares about their dog would take the chance of letting them wander. When someone shoots, shovels and shuts up, a saying that is common in rural areas across Canada and the U.S., it doesn't really matter what the law is. Frankly, the chances of anyone finding out their stray or troublesome dog was shot are just about zero.

I love my dogs to pieces and it's not a chance I would take. I will also add that it used to be that people would put out rat poison and poison gophers.

While I've had no trouble with stray dogs for at least 16 years, the notion that other people's land is somehow something town people should freely have access to without asking permission kind of pisses me off. I have had that trouble with snowmobiles and quads on my land and people seem genuinely surprised when I tell them nicely that the law is that you need permission. I don't appreciate working with a spooky horse on my own land and coming across either a snowmobile or a quad, both of which have happened to me. If you want your dogs to roam, or want to run your quads on someone else's land, then buy your own land. People don't own land for the benefit of others.

I have never been anything but polite and nice to trespassers but the sense of entitlement can be amazing. And when people have asked I have in fact given permission for them to ride their quads or snowmobiles but in specific areas. When someone is buzzing my yard site/house when there are acres and acres of land away from my house....

Old 09-03-2018, 02:54 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Obviously, you have never seen a pack of coyotes in real life within 50ft. You would have a completely different opinion if you had.
Oh, yes, I have. A pack of domestic dogs would do just as much harm, if not more.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:34 PM

14,492 posts, read 12,128,212 times
In rural parts there may not be Animal Control, or leash laws, or any enforcement, but that doesn't mean the dogs have the right to be on other people's property. It means loose dogs are at the whim of the neighbors, and in every rural jurisdiction I've ever been in, neighbors are within their rights to shoot dogs that look like they might be a threat to people, chickens or the peace.

I have neighbors who think it's OK to let their two German Shepherds run loose every morning at 6 am. We're on rural properties 5 acres or bigger out here. I don't understand people who let their dogs roam. On what planet is that OK? Not only are they at risk from wildlife, they're a threat to people's cats, chickens, goats, and peace. They're a threat to my chickens, goats and horses. They're a threat to the cute little spotted fawns I love to watch. They're at risk from irritated neighbors who are tired of it. And if the dogs end up shot, the neighbors are not wrong to do it.

We have coyotes too. Coyotes run if they're seen. Coyotes aren't dumb enough to chase a horse. Dogs are worse.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:42 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Pick your poison...domesticated dog with rabies and no fear of humans, or wild coyote.

I’ll take wild coyote or fox any day. If I want a dog to keep other canids away I will get my own dog and take care of it. Not some deadbeat neighbor stray that could be vicious.
More than 90% of rabies occurs in wild animals, first of all: https://www.cdc.gov/features/dsrabies/index.html

It doesn't matter if it's a wild animal or domesticated one, if it has rabies it has no fear of humans. The brain is basically fried, sadly.

Back to the OP. It states that this is just land he/she uses for hunting. It doesn't mention a home, yard, farm animals or pets being attacked. It's a rural area where the owner of the land does occasional hunting. Yes, the owner of the dog is being very irresponsible, but other than scaring off the deer, the dog isn't really doing any harm. BTW, I live in a very rural area. My dogs are in a fenced yard unless I am walking them (off leash and under my control). I would never allow them to run free, too many nutty people out there who are quick to want to shoot a dog.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post

Back to the OP. It states that this is just land he/she uses for hunting. It doesn't mention a home, yard, farm animals or pets being attacked. It's a rural area where the owner of the land does occasional hunting. Yes, the owner of the dog is being very irresponsible, but other than scaring off the deer, the dog isn't really doing any harm.

It's land he/she uses for hunting, and scaring off the wildlife isn't real harm? How's that?

Quote:
too many nutty people out there who are quick to want to shoot a dog.

I don't know ANYONE who wants to shoot a dog. Most hate it, but have their own dogs, animals, families, and properties to protect.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Obviously, you have never seen a pack of coyotes in real life within 50ft. You would have a completely different opinion if you had.

I have. My dogs (Pyr/Lab cross and German Shepherd/Tibetan Mastiff cross) take care of the problem by the simple expedient of explaining vocally that this is THEIR territory (the coyote pack now stays on the other side of the fence). If the dogs aren't around, I just whistle and the coyotes stop singing. If it's one or two coyotes, we look at each other, nod politely, and go on about our business.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
too many nutty people out there who are quick to want to shoot a dog.

Just as a follow up to this sentence, I just counted, and I have over 25 text messages I've sent to the neighbor about his loose dogs on our property. These are messages I've sent BEGGING him to come and get, and permanently contain, his dogs.

I am a very patient and restrained person. Most would not be as patient as me. But I don't know anyone who is quick to want to shoot a dog.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:30 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
I don't know anyone who wants to shoot a dog but there are probably people like that out there. Years ago one of my dogs was shot in the leg on my own land. Because of the coloration and the fact that the dog was a puppy at the time, it is possible they mistook my dog for a fox but it's not anyone else's land to shoot on either. It doesn't matter if there's not a house. It doesn't matter if the owner never visits his own land. It doesn't matter if the owner likes to sit cross legged in the field and chant OM to himself.

If it's not your land, you have no right to be there without permission. It doesn't need to be posted. Years ago a kid around 15 years old had the nerve to complain that while he was walking around on my land, he had come across my dog and had attempted to pet the dog and the dog had snapped at him. And he was all high and mighty about it. People are downright crazy in their beliefs. In fact I suspect that kid shot my dog. My dog lived but later had to have that leg amputated due to arthritis.

Most landowners are reasonable enough to understand a stray dog occasionally coming on their property and will return the dog to the owner if known. And most landowners are not going to freak over someone occasionally walking along the edge of their land, which does happen here on my land and I don't say a word about it. But regardless of those things, it's just a basic thing that just as I have no right to walk into your kitchen just because I feel like it, you also have no automatic right to be on my land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living