Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 04:42 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I bought some wooded acreage for hunting which happens to be part of in a small rural neighborhood.
The neighborhood is very quiet, hardly ever see anyone there when I go there.
Recently, a new resident moved in across the road onto a (2 or 3-acre) parcel with a fixer upper small home.
I only seen him once just before he moved into the house but now I see his dog everytime I go to my property.
His dog pops up out of nowhere and barks at me like I'm the intruder. Pretty scary dog though because all I have to do is stop my feet and it runs off.
I don't like it running free onto my property because it can scare off deer and other wildlife.
I just put up game cameras this past weekend and what do I see but that miserable dog on my property at all different hours of the day and night.
It shows it taking a **** right where I see a deer in a previous video and right where I put out deer corn.
Before I saw the videos of the dog, I was just going to send an anomynous letter to the owner asking him to keep his dog under control and on his property but now I'm really peed off and am thinking of contacting animal control (sheriff's office) or worse.
Any suggestions?
Animal control nor the sheriff's office will do anything.

I too live in a rural area and I know from experience ... it's rural area living that one must just get accustomed to.

I had a neighbor that beat his animal and starved it. I tried to get animal control involved, even had video footage. He viewed the video and said, 'that's not what it looks like to me', meaning the beating of the dog. I told him that I guess God would have to take care of it, since he wouldn't.

The dog was on a tether, part of my complaint was the dog was left unattended for days, no food, no water. The dog hung himself on his tether in the middle of the night, I seen it next day and the owner of the dog learned of it 4 days later when he returned home.

You have a dog running loose in a rural area ... animal control would have to have reason to trap it; there is only one reason that I can think of that might motivate them to do that. I wish you luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 04:49 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If we can catch the dog, it gets a free ride to the dog pound. If we can't catch the dog, we shoot it.
And this is how there use to be a pack of dogs 4 - 5 that ran our streets. Now, there is none. No feral cats either.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:27 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Just as a follow up to this sentence, I just counted, and I have over 25 text messages I've sent to the neighbor about his loose dogs on our property. These are messages I've sent BEGGING him to come and get, and permanently contain, his dogs.

I am a very patient and restrained person. Most would not be as patient as me. But I don't know anyone who is quick to want to shoot a dog.
You LIVE on the property. The OP does not. He doesn't even state how often he goes up there to hunt. There is a big difference between dogs harassing you, your pets, your family and a dog that is on undeveloped land that the land owner uses occasionally. It may not be something a good neighbor would do, but if the dog owner doesn't know when the land owner is going to be up there, he wouldn't know to confine the dog during that time.

There were a few posters on this thread that mentioned that they would just shoot the dog. To me that's quick to want to shoot a dog.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:40 PM

14,495 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
You LIVE on the property. The OP does not. He doesn't even state how often he goes up there to hunt. There is a big difference between dogs harassing you, your pets, your family and a dog that is on undeveloped land that the land owner uses occasionally. It may not be something a good neighbor would do, but if the dog owner doesn't know when the land owner is going to be up there, he wouldn't know to confine the dog during that time.

There were a few posters on this thread that mentioned that they would just shoot the dog. To me that's quick to want to shoot a dog.

It DOES NOT MATTER whether someone lives there or not. If they own a property to hunt on, they want to encourage the wildlife to be there. They don't want a dog habitually up there scaring the wildlife away.

The burden is on the dog owner to keep the dog safe and at home. It is not on the land owner to prove how patient, or 'quick' they are in dealing with a nuisance. There is no duty to be patient or give the rude neighbor any notice at all, but I would never assume there is joy in it.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:55 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
It DOES NOT MATTER whether someone lives there or not. If they own a property to hunt on, they want to encourage the wildlife to be there. They don't want a dog habitually up there scaring the wildlife away.

The burden is on the dog owner to keep the dog safe and at home. It is not on the land owner to prove how patient, or 'quick' they are in dealing with a nuisance. There is no duty to be patient or give the rude neighbor any notice at all, but I would never assume there is joy in it.

It really goes against the grain that others just assume they can use your property. What happened to asking permission? And, if you get a NO, it means no. That goes for dogs, kids or the adults, just ask first. Many times a property owner will give permission with limits. Most property owners do not want trash and many want it clear that the permission is granted to the person asking and not to the whole neighborhood. Some people, that do not live close to their properties, might welcome neighbors to keep a eye on their assets.

There are insurance issues because once a person or dog is given permission; should they get hurt or hurt somebody else; the property owner could be held financially responsible or sued.

Years ago in my County we used to have many miles of steam to fish. Our Fish Commission could quickly get landowners to agree to let people use their land. Unfortunately many of the fishermen we pigs; they did not clean up after themselves and then there were problems when one would get hurt. So the programs got shut down and many miles of stream are now not open to the public.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,603 times
Quote:

Well said!

Old 09-03-2018, 06:35 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
Quote:

While I have never said that the owner of the dog was in the right, if the OP is so bothered, why doesn't he just tell the dog owner that? Because that's not been done according to his post. Second of all, how is the dog owner supposed to know that the OP wants to hunt on his property and that he feels the dog is scaring off the game? Third, I live in a rural area with lots of wildlife, I have 4 dogs of my own (all big dogs) and have several dogs staying with me all the time. We still see wildlife on our property all the time, from turkeys, to bobcats, to raccoons to bears, etc. We don't have many deer up here, but the other day we had one jump a fence right in front of me and two of my dogs while we were out walking. The wildlife isn't going to be permanently scared off, and probably not even temporarily.

I never said the OP would find joy in shooting a dog. I never said anyone would find joy in it, just that some here who posted indicated that they would gladly do it. Different things totally.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:17 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
And this is how there use to be a pack of dogs 4 - 5 that ran our streets. Now, there is none. No feral cats either.
Cats are excellent at keeping down the rodents, and snakes. And they aren't going to maul anybody. Trap, neuter, and release is the right way to fix that problem. But that option is not available in every area.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:27 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times
Quote:
Dogs should be confined to their owner's property at ALL times. Unless they are on leash, or under voice command. And a great many dogs don't listen to their owners at all. No one should have to put up with that. The dog owner does NOT have the right to let their dog run loose to do what it wants. It's incredibly selfish of them to do so. No consideration of anybody else but themselves.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:33 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
More than 90% of rabies occurs in wild animals, first of all: https://www.cdc.gov/features/dsrabies/index.html

It doesn't matter if it's a wild animal or domesticated one, if it has rabies it has no fear of humans. The brain is basically fried, sadly.

Back to the OP. It states that this is just land he/she uses for hunting. It doesn't mention a home, yard, farm animals or pets being attacked. It's a rural area where the owner of the land does occasional hunting. Yes, the owner of the dog is being very irresponsible, but other than scaring off the deer, the dog isn't really doing any harm. BTW, I live in a very rural area. My dogs are in a fenced yard unless I am walking them (off leash and under my control). I would never allow them to run free, too many nutty people out there who are quick to want to shoot a dog.
Rabies or not, dogs usually do not fear humans. Wild canids usually AVOID humans.

If the neighbor’s dog scares away deer on hunting land, the dog is harassing wildlife, which can result in the dog owner being fined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living