Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 07:40 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't know anyone who wants to shoot a dog but there are probably people like that out there. Years ago one of my dogs was shot in the leg on my own land. Because of the coloration and the fact that the dog was a puppy at the time, it is possible they mistook my dog for a fox but it's not anyone else's land to shoot on either. It doesn't matter if there's not a house. It doesn't matter if the owner never visits his own land. It doesn't matter if the owner likes to sit cross legged in the field and chant OM to himself.

If it's not your land, you have no right to be there without permission. It doesn't need to be posted.
Years ago a kid around 15 years old had the nerve to complain that while he was walking around on my land, he had come across my dog and had attempted to pet the dog and the dog had snapped at him. And he was all high and mighty about it. People are downright crazy in their beliefs. In fact I suspect that kid shot my dog. My dog lived but later had to have that leg amputated due to arthritis.

Most landowners are reasonable enough to understand a stray dog occasionally coming on their property and will return the dog to the owner if known. And most landowners are not going to freak over someone occasionally walking along the edge of their land, which does happen here on my land and I don't say a word about it. But regardless of those things, it's just a basic thing that just as I have no right to walk into your kitchen just because I feel like it, you also have no automatic right to be on my land.
Amen!

I have heard people justifying dumping dead animals (in whole or in parts) on other people’s property or on the ROW next to it, dumping trash that they are too fricking cheap to dispose of legally, trespassing, and letting dogs run on it by rationalizing “nobody lives there” or some other lame excuse. Fact is, the land belongs to someone whether they are physically there or not, and NOBODY else has the right to use it in ANY way unless expressly given permission to do so.

Bet these same people would scream My Property Rights! if someone did the same thing to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 08:37 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
You LIVE on the property. The OP does not. He doesn't even state how often he goes up there to hunt. There is a big difference between dogs harassing you, your pets, your family and a dog that is on undeveloped land that the land owner uses occasionally. It may not be something a good neighbor would do, but if the dog owner doesn't know when the land owner is going to be up there, he wouldn't know to confine the dog during that time.?????? so in reverse, its ok to use someone's land if they arent there??

There were a few posters on this thread that mentioned that they would just shoot the dog. To me that's quick to want to shoot a dog.
LOL, NOPE! So based on your logic, if you had a car or bicycle, tractor, wife, or whatever on your property, it would be ok for me to use it, because you are only up there "sometimes"????

Get the $%^& out of here. If I pay good money for land,with a house or not, and your dumb enough, or ass backward enough to let your dog run willy nilly through my property(and everyone elses), I'm gonna either catch it, and haul it off to another town animal shelter, or kill it.

Last edited by grouse789; 09-03-2018 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 08:46 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Cats are excellent at keeping down the rodents, and snakes.
LOL, if only felines stopped there. they are also responsible for killing thousands of endagered song birds every year. see here:
"e U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service suggested that free-ranging domestic cats (mostly unowned) are the top human-caused threat to wildlife in the United States, killing an estimated 1.3 to 4 billion birds and 6.3 to 22.3 billion mammals annually.[4][12"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_pr...wildlife#Birds

Yea, cats are real good for the neighborhood, cough cough. One of my friends growing up had a grandpa, that had a box trap. He liked to feed the birds. All the squirrels and cats that got caught in the trap went into the water barrel of water for 3 minutes.

Cats are another nuisance, but thats an entirely other thread!

Old 09-03-2018, 08:50 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
You would shoot a pet ... why would you. jeezus talk about gun control.. no control..
This is not about gun control, it's about self control.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:31 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
LOL, if only felines stopped there. they are also responsible for killing thousands of endagered song birds every year. see here:
"e U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service suggested that free-ranging domestic cats (mostly unowned) are the top human-caused threat to wildlife in the United States, killing an estimated 1.3 to 4 billion birds and 6.3 to 22.3 billion mammals annually.[4][12"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_pr...wildlife#Birds

Yea, cats are real good for the neighborhood, cough cough. One of my friends growing up had a grandpa, that had a box trap. He liked to feed the birds. All the squirrels and cats that got caught in the trap went into the water barrel of water for 3 minutes.

Cats are another nuisance, but thats an entirely other thread!
Well, that's debatable. But I was responding to the person who mentioned feral cats with a VERY short post about a solution to them which doesn't include drowning, per your post. What a miserable thing to do. I didn't post that little blurb of mine to get into a big OT discussion. Btw, humans poach 25 million songbirds each year by netting, and glue in the below area alone to eat since it's a delicacy. But nobody is griping about that. Talk about nuisances, humans can be the worst.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-mediterranean

I'm sure you have heard the term "Mouser" before. Aka Barn Cats. There is a very good reason for that moniker. Outdoor cats whose job it is to eat mice, and rats. They are invaluable in farms, and ranches. Reducing the rodent food supply of snakes will help to keep snakes away. After all, snakes go where the food is. If you have a mouse, or rat problem I guarantee you will have snakes. Cats are better than poison. Unless you want to kill every living thing.

Now back to dogs at large. If you want to debate you will have to do it without me. I've made my point.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:19 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
And this is how there use to be a pack of dogs 4 - 5 that ran our streets. Now, there is none. No feral cats either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Cats are excellent at keeping down the rodents, and snakes. And they aren't going to maul anybody. Trap, neuter, and release is the right way to fix that problem. But that option is not available in every area.
It's called rural area living and the OP mentioned getting the animal control and/or sheriff involved for assistance. I know for a fact it does not work. It hardly ever works (did not work in the situation with my neighbor and his dog) in cases of animal abuse; it is hardly likely they will go out on route, county road whatever and pick up a dog running on their property.

People living in the country take care of it themselves.

I have lived in the country on and off most of my life. In one location I fed 18 feral cats out by my well. And yes, they make great mousers. When I moved, I couldn't take the cats with me ... sorry kitty cats and good luck.

At one time in another country area my house cat gave birth and turned out she was a very smart cat. Her babies not so much. If they wandered across the street to the neighbor's house, they never came back and ... one could hear the gun shot going off. I can add. (btw: my house cat, she lived to be 15 years old, smart cat, miss her much)

The last five years I have been in this spot. The first couple of years being here, there were a pack of (rather scary) dogs that would roam the area. Several of the neighbors raise chickens. Over the years and hearing gun shots going off, and seeing no dogs now, I can add. And there are no feral cats ... Sometimes I see a lot of rabbits and squirrels and there are time there are very few rabbits and squirrels. Again, gun shots ring out, I can add.

People if you live in a rural area and if you like your dog and your cat, keep them at home. Neighbors have shot guns and they know how to use 'em.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:28 PM

13,077 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Start putting out dog food and encourage the dog to play with you. Once the dog recognizes that you friendly and are part of "his" territory, then most of the problems will be solved. A tied up skunk will get the dog noticed by your neighbor who will then have to make decisions on limiting the dog's roaming. .

Old 09-04-2018, 12:26 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
If it was my rural neighbor I'd condiser my options:

Option # 1. Let it slide to keep the neighborly peace. Obviously it's not ideal and wrong on the neighbors part, but how bad can an occasional dog visit really be compared to other potential rural neighbor problems?

Option # 2. Go and talk to the neighbor and explain that, unbeknownst to them, their dog must have accidentally escaped their property and was trespassing on your land. Then I'd tell them that normally I really love dogs, but that I have some coyote traps set up because I'm into that sort of thing and might also be getting chickens in the future and would hate for anything bad to happen to such a beautiful dog should it accidentally escape again. That's a pretty fair warning.

Another tip that sometimes works wonders is to actually catch the tresspassing dog using food or whatnot if you feel comfortable doing so. Then tie the dog up, place him in your kennel, or otherwise restrain him, etc. Then go inform your neighbor that you think you may have his trespassing stray dog on your property and he should come check it out and come get it if it's his or you're taking it to the pound. This causes embarrassment and shame on the dog owner when he has to come pick his dog up, further motivating him to remedy the problem while making you like look a good guy.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 09-04-2018 at 01:09 AM..

Old 09-04-2018, 01:05 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
If it was my rural neighbor I'd condiser my options:

Option # 1. Let it slide to keep the neighborly peace. Obviously it's not ideal and wrong on the neighbors part, but how bad can an occasional dog visit really be compared to other potential rural neighbor problems?

Option # 2. Go and talk to the neighbor and explain that, unbeknownst to them, their dog must have accidentally escaped their property and was trespassing on your land. Then I'd tell them that normally I really love dogs, but that I have some coyote traps set up because I'm into that sort of thing and might also be getting chickens in the future and would hate for anything bad to happen to such a beautiful dog should it accidentally escape again. That's a pretty fair warning.

Another tip that sometimes works wonders is to actually catch the tresspassing dog using food or whatnot if you feel comfortable doing so. Then tie the dog up, place him in your kennel, or otherwise restrain him, etc. Then go inform your neighbor that you think you may have his trespassing stray dog on your property and he should come check it out and come get it if it's his or you're taking it to the pound. This causes embarrassment and shame on the dog owner, further motivating him to remedy the problem while making you like look a good guy.
All very well considered options for the OP.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:48 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Looks like your deputies need to go for updates and refresher training:

https://www.edgarsnyder.com/dog-bite...-laws/#alabama

Apparently the County has to adopt the State statute:

https://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-3...ect-3-1-5.html

Some more Alabama:

http://www.aces.edu/urban/FamilyWebsite/UNP-0047.pdf

It looks from the last one that even if your County doesn't have a leash law that doesn't absolve the owner from being liable for any damages caused by a roaming dog.
You got it. The county has to adopt the state statute which most have not. Here is the clause:

(b) This section shall not apply to the running at large of any dog or dogs within the corporate limits of any city or town in this state that requires a license tag to be kept on dogs nor shall this section apply in any county in this state until the same has been adopted by the county commission of such county.

It has not been adopted in my county nor most others that I know about.

As for the owner being liable for bites and such that is definitely true. That is true most anywhere. We aren't talking about a dog biting though, we are talking about them not being confined or leashed at all times.

I would not have a dog if I had to keep it locked in essentially a 50x50 prison in my back yard. I feel sorry for dogs that are in confinement like that. If they had opposing thumbs and access to a gun, most people would come home and find that their dog had committed suicide. I have moved now and would have to confine a dog so I do not have one anymore. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Oh, yes, I have. A pack of domestic dogs would do just as much harm, if not more.
That is complete and utter BS. We have had coyotes kill dogs. We have coyotes kill livestock from time to time. We have yet to have a problem with dogs. I have walked out the back door and discovered coyotes about 20 ft away from me. That is a scary situation to be in. I have never walked out the door and discovered a neighbors dog and been scared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Animal control nor the sheriff's office will do anything.

I too live in a rural area and I know from experience ... it's rural area living that one must just get accustomed to.

I had a neighbor that beat his animal and starved it. I tried to get animal control involved, even had video footage. He viewed the video and said, 'that's not what it looks like to me', meaning the beating of the dog. I told him that I guess God would have to take care of it, since he wouldn't.

The dog was on a tether, part of my complaint was the dog was left unattended for days, no food, no water. The dog hung himself on his tether in the middle of the night, I seen it next day and the owner of the dog learned of it 4 days later when he returned home.

You have a dog running loose in a rural area ... animal control would have to have reason to trap it; there is only one reason that I can think of that might motivate them to do that. I wish you luck.
^^This exactly. It is part of rural living. Most dogs are friendly and just want you to talk to and pet them and then they will head on home. The not so friendly ones you just let them know they aren't welcome on your property. You yell at them to "get home" or something of that nature, be aggressive and slap your hands together. They get it and will go away. I have never had a problem teaching a neighbors dog that I didn't like to stay away from my house.

Some of you city dwellers that want the police and city to handle everything for you are making way too big of a deal about this. Every once in a while a family that have living in subdivisions in the city most or all of their lives will decide they want to move out in the country "where it is peaceful" and are in shock when they discover how different rural living is to city. We have had some and they start with their constant complaining and then calling the police every time they don't like something. We all know each other and know the county the police because we went to school with them or are kin to them and after a few of the phone calls, the police just stop coming out and wasting their time. Then of course the neighbors in the area start doing things just to irritate the family until they finally get mad and move. I have seen that scenario play out numerous times over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living