Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 10:53 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
LOL, if only felines stopped there. they are also responsible for killing thousands of endagered song birds every year. see here:
"e U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service suggested that free-ranging domestic cats (mostly unowned) are the top human-caused threat to wildlife in the United States, killing an estimated 1.3 to 4 billion birds and 6.3 to 22.3 billion mammals annually.[4][12"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_pr...wildlife#Birds

Yea, cats are real good for the neighborhood, cough cough. One of my friends growing up had a grandpa, that had a box trap. He liked to feed the birds. All the squirrels and cats that got caught in the trap went into the water barrel of water for 3 minutes.

Cats are another nuisance, but thats an entirely other thread!
Humans are the worst human-caused threat to wildlife and habitats, far worse than the entire feral/stray cat population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 11:04 AM

782 posts, read 1,357,466 times
Default Neighbor's dog on my property

I've read the suggestions and discussion and want to make a few comments/responses to some of the post:

I am not going to try to catch the dog because I don't want to risk getting bit

My property is vacant forested land (about 22 acres) and has vacant land on one side (about 20 acres), a large forested tract with a home on the other side (40 acres), vacant timber land to the rear (1200 acres). In front of my land is the paved road cross where there are 4 small rural residences on 2-4 acres each.
The problem dog comes from one of those residences.
To answer the question about baiting for deer; it is legal and allowed practice in Georgia.
I have baited at places where I have game cameras to get to observe what wildlife population is like on the property.
I live a couple hours away so am not there daily. When, I have been there, I enjoy spending time checking cameras, clearing trails, etc.
Since my original post, I have telephoned the county and found that there is no animal control (it' pretty rural) and the sheriff's office and the planning department have not gotten back to the messages I have left regarding this uncontrolled dog.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:56 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Since my original post, I have telephoned the county and found that there is no animal control (it' pretty rural) and the sheriff's office and the planning department have not gotten back to the messages I have left regarding this uncontrolled dog.
Ok so it is rural Georgia which is going to be pretty much the same as rural Alabama. It is common for dogs to roam around. There will be more so catching this one isn't going to accomplish much. The other neighbors will get dogs at some point more than likely. The sheriff's office is most likely ignoring your calls and if they do ever return your call, they are going to tell you there isn't much they can do and they aren't going to waste time on it. As for the "planning department," if there is such for the rural area, you aren't going to get anywhere there.

I hate to break it to you but this is part of rural living and you are going to have to accept it. There will almost certainly always be at least one and maybe more than one dog roaming the area. It is sort of funny how the laws all work regarding animals out in rural areas and the worst part is that if you harm that dog in any way and someone finds out, you can and most likely will be charged with animal cruelty and some of those laws are felonies with prison time. I think some of it is absurd but that is just how it works.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:15 PM

782 posts, read 1,357,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Ok so it is rural Georgia which is going to be pretty much the same as rural Alabama. It is common for dogs to roam around. There will be more so catching this one isn't going to accomplish much. The other neighbors will get dogs at some point more than likely. The sheriff's office is most likely ignoring your calls and if they do ever return your call, they are going to tell you there isn't much they can do and they aren't going to waste time on it. As for the "planning department," if there is such for the rural area, you aren't going to get anywhere there.

I hate to break it to you but this is part of rural living and you are going to have to accept it. There will almost certainly always be at least one and maybe more than one dog roaming the area. It is sort of funny how the laws all work regarding animals out in rural areas and the worst part is that if you harm that dog in any way and someone finds out, you can and most likely will be charged with animal cruelty and some of those laws are felonies with prison time. I think some of it is absurd but that is just how it works.

Not sure if you read my original post but the dog owner is newly moved in and his is the ONLY dog that I've seen out and about.
The other neighbors have been there for years/decades and doesn't seem like any of them own dogs.

Also, I would not plan to do anything that I could be charged with a crime for.
However as others suggested, I have considered putting out traps for catching a coyote.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:48 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:

That is complete and utter BS. We have had coyotes kill dogs. We have coyotes kill livestock from time to time. We have yet to have a problem with dogs. I have walked out the back door and discovered coyotes about 20 ft away from me. That is a scary situation to be in. I have never walked out the door and discovered a neighbors dog and been scared.

YOUR tiny slice of experience does not make it every other person’s experience. Scared of coyotes...

The 50’x50’ yard you own is half a city lot. The OP (and many others including myself) are discussing multiple acres in rural areas. As for calling animal control, most posts have talked about getting rid of the dog more directly, whether shooting it or telling the owner to keep it on his own land.

If you can’t be bothered to keep your dog on your property, the dog disappearing (killed or wandered off) is your own fault. Your are responsible for your own pet—nobody else is. What part of THAT do you not understand?

Old 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
your tiny slice of experience does not make it every other person’s experience. Scared of coyotes...

The 50’x50’ yard you own is half a city lot. The op (and many others including myself) are discussing multiple acres in rural areas. As for calling animal control, most posts have talked about getting rid of the dog more directly, whether shooting it or telling the owner to keep it on his own land.

If you can’t be bothered to keep your dog on your property, the dog disappearing (killed or wandered off) is your own fault. Your are responsible for your own pet—nobody else is. What part of that do you not understand?
+1

Old 09-04-2018, 03:37 PM

374 posts, read 378,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Humans are the worst human-caused threat to wildlife and habitats, far worse than the entire feral/stray cat population.
Without people there would quickly be no cats.

Cats do an astonishing amount of damage to bird populations. Far more than anyone ever suspected and far more than any cat lover I ever met is willing to admit, but the data is out there for those who can handle reality.

I don't let any of my animals run loose. No percentage in it.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:40 PM

374 posts, read 378,247 times
Quote:

Every rural area I've ever lived, people shoot shovel and forget trespassing dogs. If they are out harassing livestock, happens a lot sooner. And no, it isn't seen as animal cruelty it is seen as taking care of your property and your stock. Just how it works.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:44 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
The OP doesn't have any stock to defend. Just an unsportsmanlike, ecologically unsound bait station. Can't help but think the dog is doing nature a favor by peeing on it, even if the owners should be keeping him contained better.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:01 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
The OP doesn't have any stock to defend. Just an unsportsmanlike, ecologically unsound bait station. Can't help but think the dog is doing nature a favor by peeing on it, even if the owners should be keeping him contained better.

The OP owns the property and he pays taxes on it. More so he has to maintain insurance to protect himself from liability. If he does nothing to keep people and animals off his property; he could have to share some of the liability if things go wrong. It is also possible that his insurance rates could go up if an agent would find out he has dog/s running wild on his land.

The idea of ownership as that one works hard to be able to buy. You do not work hard so the neighbor can use your property for free. And you did not work hard so you have to pick up liter, be chased off your land by the neighbor's dog, or so you have to clean the neighbor's dog poop off your boots! If the neighbor thinks he should have more land for his dog to roam free; then he/she should buy more land just for his animal to run! In the meantime; he should keep his dog off another's property!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living