Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 07:04 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times

Advertisements

Oh, I agree. But all these SSS advocates are suggesting a massively disproportionate reaction to a dog occasionally being on a land plot that isn't even in use as anything other than a deer-disease spreading station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 07:10 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Oh, I agree. But all these SSS advocates are suggesting a massively disproportionate reaction to a dog occasionally being on a land plot that isn't even in use as anything other than a deer-disease spreading station.

It doesn't make any difference if it is not used; it doesn't belong to the dog owner!

Most of this is simply laziness. The dog owner doesn't want to worry about his own dog's scat on his own property. It is so easy just to open the door and forget. If they are too lazy to worry about their pet's manure they never should have bought the pet in the first place!

Old 09-04-2018, 07:16 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Yes, thanks for once more reiterating the same talking points, which no one was even disagreeing with.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:48 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post

That is complete and utter BS. We have had coyotes kill dogs. We have coyotes kill livestock from time to time. We have yet to have a problem with dogs. I have walked out the back door and discovered coyotes about 20 ft away from me. That is a scary situation to be in. I have never walked out the door and discovered a neighbors dog and been scared.

We had cattle when I was growing up and experienced the opposite. We never had a coyote kill a calf or cow. In fact, I would occasionally see a coyote cut through the herd and the cows did not even look up. We had problems with dogs running cattle to death, though, and killing calves. I have never felt intimidated by a coyote as they are usually trying to get away as fast as possible. I recall reading about coyotes when a kid and it said they were opportunists and mostly ate carrion and grasshoppers. Their diet was mostly vegetarian. It also said they don't pack hunt. They usually wander and hunt alone. That said, I believe there are variations, of coyotes throughout the country and some may behave differently, depending on how they have evolved to survive in certain geographic regions. I have read about coyotes crossing with wolves in some areas and I could see these being more aggressive and pack hunting.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:04 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
Talking to the dog's owner first is the most neighborly thing to do. He may not even know it's an issue and may very well remedy the problem. Definitely worth a shot. If the neighbor is unreasonable, or doesn't remedy the problem, that's when the SSS option can become a more realistic last resort.

For a less lethal option, empty an entire can of bear spray on the dog next time it's trespassing and acting aggressively towards you. It may never want to come back over that .

Old 09-04-2018, 08:13 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Not sure if you read my original post but the dog owner is newly moved in and his is the ONLY dog that I've seen out and about.
The other neighbors have been there for years/decades and doesn't seem like any of them own dogs.

Also, I would not plan to do anything that I could be charged with a crime for.
However as others suggested, I have considered putting out traps for catching a coyote.
Be aware in many states there are laws regarding setting traps and how often you must check them to dispatch the trapped animal. And also that all set traps must have the trapper's name & contact info, even if it is set upon your own property.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:38 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

The idea of ownership as that one works hard to be able to buy. You do not work hard so the neighbor can use your property for free. And you did not work hard so you have to pick up liter, be chased off your land by the neighbor's dog, or so you have to clean the neighbor's dog poop off your boots! If the neighbor thinks he should have more land for his dog to roam free; then he/she should buy more land just for his animal to run! In the meantime; he should keep his dog off another's property!
AMEN!

Hope the OP has some luck with the dog traps errrrr I mean coyote traps cough cough.

Please dog owners keep your dirty animal off my property. Jeepers, that's all that guy wants.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:51 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
Trapping the dog in a convential leg trap is not a good idea IMO. Better to just shoot it if going to go that route.

Two reasons.
#1- The owner may go looking for his missing dog. If he finds it yelping for help in a potentially non legal/out of season trap on your property, fish and game officers may pay you a visit. Not to mention it will create "tension" at the very least between you. Think possible vandalism, revenge and harassment, this guy is within walking distance remember.

#2- a bullet to the head is quicker and more humane than letting a dog slowly die in a trap.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:05 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
YOUR tiny slice of experience does not make it every other person’s experience. Scared of coyotes...

The 50’x50’ yard you own is half a city lot. The OP (and many others including myself) are discussing multiple acres in rural areas. As for calling animal control, most posts have talked about getting rid of the dog more directly, whether shooting it or telling the owner to keep it on his own land.

If you can’t be bothered to keep your dog on your property, the dog disappearing (killed or wandered off) is your own fault. Your are responsible for your own pet—nobody else is. What part of THAT do you not understand?
Where did you get 50x50 yard? LOL One of my houses has a 2 acre yard sectioned off from the 382 acre section of our farm. I am talking about more acres than probably any of you. My other house has a 1 acre yard but is on the lake not connected to the farm. My dog was free to roam the farm and of course occasionally visited the neighbors. They all knew who he was and talked to and petted him. They even gave him treats as I found out later. The only neighbor any of us ever had a problem with was a jackass lady that decided she wanted to move from the city to live in the country. She complained about the dogs, she complained about us shooting guns on the weekends, she complained about the loud exhaust on all the guys Camaro's, Corvettes, Chargers and Mustangs. She called the county police so much, they cracked jokes about her when we would see them. One asked if we had ran her off back to the city yet and we told him no but we are working on it. The more she complained, the more we raised hell in the sports cars and the more and bigger guns we shot at 7:00AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings. She finally moved after a year and a half. lol

I really think some of you are just a-hole neighbors that shouldn't be living out in the country. I know all of my neighbors dogs by name just like the neighbors. One of the dogs I liked more than most any including dogs I have had was one of my neighbors. She let him roam about too and I would come home to find him asleep on my porch regularly. He was a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
Every rural area I've ever lived, people shoot shovel and forget trespassing dogs. If they are out harassing livestock, happens a lot sooner. And no, it isn't seen as animal cruelty it is seen as taking care of your property and your stock. Just how it works.
I know someone that did just that and the dog's owner found out about it. The guy was arrested and charged with a felony. It cost him probably in excess of $10,000 in attorney fees just to stay out of state prison and he had to pay several thousand in fines (I can't remember exactly how much but it was in the thousands). He plead guilty to a plea deal that also required he be on probation for a couple of years. So just be careful shooting the neighbors dogs and make damn sure nobody sees you and you don't tell anyone you did it because the penalties are insane. You could go mug a person at gun point and get a lesser penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
We had cattle when I was growing up and experienced the opposite. We never had a coyote kill a calf or cow. In fact, I would occasionally see a coyote cut through the herd and the cows did not even look up. We had problems with dogs running cattle to death, though, and killing calves. I have never felt intimidated by a coyote as they are usually trying to get away as fast as possible. I recall reading about coyotes when a kid and it said they were opportunists and mostly ate carrion and grasshoppers. Their diet was mostly vegetarian. It also said they don't pack hunt. They usually wander and hunt alone. That said, I believe there are variations, of coyotes throughout the country and some may behave differently, depending on how they have evolved to survive in certain geographic regions. I have read about coyotes crossing with wolves in some areas and I could see these being more aggressive and pack hunting.
Around here they do usually hunt alone but they live in packs. Quite often you will see them in pairs. They will separate off a calf and kill it from time to time. We have to have a coyote killing session every once in a while if they start getting bad. They are usually skittish around people and will try to get away but if you surprise them by walking around a corner into a fenced in area like I did once in my back yard, they will go into defense mode. It is kind of scary to turn a corner and bam! there are two coyotes less than fifty feet away and they bow their backs up and start growling and showing teeth.

Anyway, I am not going to argue about this anymore. It is fairly apparent that most of those ranting and raving about dogs not being confined do not live and probably have never lived out in the open country. The dogs out here roam freely about the farms and ride in the back of the trucks when we are working on the farms and all that good stuff. We don't pin them up in the back yard of a tiny little back yard of a 1/4 acre subdivision lot where they will die early from heart disease.

Last edited by dijkstra; 09-05-2018 at 07:13 AM..

Old 09-05-2018, 07:12 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It doesn't make any difference if it is not used; it doesn't belong to the dog owner!

Most of this is simply laziness. The dog owner doesn't want to worry about his own dog's scat on his own property. It is so easy just to open the door and forget. If they are too lazy to worry about their pet's manure they never should have bought the pet in the first place!

Then go shoot the owner.

(done with this thread)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living