Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2018, 07:22 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times

Advertisements

That dog is going to run into a pack of yotes that can and will kill it. We had a neighbor that had so many dogs they constantly killed our calves, chickens and pigs. The hill billy that owned the place where they came off of could have cared less. We shot them all the time just like coyotes.

We called the Sheriff and they told us our best option was shooting them. That was a green light for us. I even had one try to attack me while pulling a disc on the tractor. These were some real crazy feral dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 08:11 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I think it is ridiculous to assert that out in the country, everyone's dogs are freely welcomed wherever they go.

That's just dangerous thinking. Dangerous to anyone who thinks all the neighbors around are going to welcome their loose dog with a pat on the head and a treat.

If you care about your dog... please don't buy into that. Keep them on your property. They aren't safe on the neighbor's farm, where they might be deemed a threat to the neighbor's chickens, livestock, pets, children or peace. And they aren't safe from the wildlife, nor are they safe TO the wildlife that some are encouraging to live on their property. People have their own property for diverse reasons... and those don't necessarily mean your dog is welcome.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 09-05-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 09-05-2018, 09:37 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Where did you get 50x50 yard? LOL One of my houses has a 2 acre yard sectioned off from the 382 acre section of our farm. I am talking about more acres than probably any of you. My other house has a 1 acre yard but is on the lake not connected to the farm. My dog was free to roam the farm and of course occasionally visited the neighbors. They all knew who he was and talked to and petted him. They even gave him treats as I found out later. The only neighbor any of us ever had a problem with was a jackass lady that decided she wanted to move from the city to live in the country. She complained about the dogs, she complained about us shooting guns on the weekends, she complained about the loud exhaust on all the guys Camaro's, Corvettes, Chargers and Mustangs. She called the county police so much, they cracked jokes about her when we would see them. One asked if we had ran her off back to the city yet and we told him no but we are working on it. The more she complained, the more we raised hell in the sports cars and the more and bigger guns we shot at 7:00AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings. She finally moved after a year and a half. lol

I really think some of you are just a-hole neighbors that shouldn't be living out in the country. I know all of my neighbors dogs by name just like the neighbors. One of the dogs I liked more than most any including dogs I have had was one of my neighbors. She let him roam about too and I would come home to find him asleep on my porch regularly. He was a good

Anyway, I am not going to argue about this anymore. It is fairly apparent that most of those ranting and raving about dogs not being confined do not live and probably have never lived out in the open country. The dogs out here roam freely about the farms and ride in the back of the trucks when we are working on the farms and all that good stuff. We don't pin them up in the back yard of a tiny little back yard of a 1/4 acre subdivision lot where they will die early from heart disease.
You yourself wrote the 50’x50’ yard in your earier post.

You obviously have a bad case of chip on shoulder combined with oppositional defiance disorder.

If you think people call LE too much, don’t be so offended when they instead kill your free-roaming dog on THEIR property.

Coming from cities has nothing to do with willingness to either call police OR willingness to SSS.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:18 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Then go shoot the owner.

(done with this thread)

Why make an absurd claim like that; we all know that is murder and none of us have proposed harming the dog's owner (only financially if they disobey the current laws). I haven't even proposed harming any of the dogs. What set you off with my statement:"Most of this is simply laziness. The dog owner doesn't want to worry about his own dog's scat on his own property. It is so easy just to open the door and forget. If they are too lazy to worry about their pet's manure they never should have bought the pet in the first place!" I would presume it was calling dog owners, that let their dogs run, "lazy". I have yet to hear owners say: "No problem; I will keep my animals home and play with them, take care of them, and pick up and properly dispose of their scat!"

Old 09-05-2018, 11:10 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
We had cattle when I was growing up and experienced the opposite. We never had a coyote kill a calf or cow. In fact, I would occasionally see a coyote cut through the herd and the cows did not even look up. We had problems with dogs running cattle to death, though, and killing calves. I have never felt intimidated by a coyote as they are usually trying to get away as fast as possible. I recall reading about coyotes when a kid and it said they were opportunists and mostly ate carrion and grasshoppers. Their diet was mostly vegetarian. It also said they don't pack hunt. They usually wander and hunt alone. That said, I believe there are variations, of coyotes throughout the country and some may behave differently, depending on how they have evolved to survive in certain geographic regions. I have read about coyotes crossing with wolves in some areas and I could see these being more aggressive and pack hunting.
Yes, not a single cow, calf or sheep was ever killed by a coyote around here.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That dog is going to run into a pack of yotes that can and will kill it. We had a neighbor that had so many dogs they constantly killed our calves, chickens and pigs. The hill billy that owned the place where they came off of could have cared less. We shot them all the time just like coyotes.

We called the Sheriff and they told us our best option was shooting them. That was a green light for us. I even had one try to attack me while pulling a disc on the tractor. These were some real crazy feral dogs.
Yeah, when farmers used to call the police on dogs here, they were told to shoot, shovel and shut up.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Trapping the dog in a convential leg trap is not a good idea IMO. Better to just shoot it if going to go that route.

Two reasons.
#1- The owner may go looking for his missing dog. If he finds it yelping for help in a potentially non legal/out of season trap on your property, fish and game officers may pay you a visit. Not to mention it will create "tension" at the very least between you. Think possible vandalism, revenge and harassment, this guy is within walking distance remember.

#2- a bullet to the head is quicker and more humane than letting a dog slowly die in a trap.
I think the law here is that you have to check your traps every three days and also have to be a licensed trapper. You can't just put up a trap because you're the landowner. I wouldn't put up a trap that might catch a dog - but telling all the neighbours in a friendly way that you are might be deterrent enough. Some people just don't care about their free roaming dogs though.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:28 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,149,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Also, you're baiting the deer, in order to hunt them in the neighborhood? Doesn't that seem a bit, ummm, unsportmanlike?

Not everyone hunts for sport. I think its perfectly reasonable to assume to OP is after food and doesn't have time to trudge around some barren forest in the cold all day. Also deer are way over populated in cities. I wish I had a neighbor that would take out a deer every week or two.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:48 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Not everyone hunts for sport. I think its perfectly reasonable to assume to OP is after food and doesn't have time to trudge around some barren forest in the cold all day. Also deer are way over populated in cities. I wish I had a neighbor that would take out a deer every week or two.
He's so hard up for food that he has to bait deer, but he can afford to buy a recreational plot of land. Sure, makes sense.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:56 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
He's so hard up for food that he has to bait deer, but he can afford to buy a recreational plot of land. Sure, makes sense.

How do you know the true intentions of somebody you never met? Maybe he wants to build but is in the process of getting money for a down payment, financing, or simply shopping for contractors. The land is his land to do with it what he wants; he is paying the bills and it makes no difference if he builds today or never builds in his lifetime.

If he would be hunting over bait piles and it is illegal to do so in that state; then the dog's owner has every right to turn the neighbor into the Game Warden. I just don't like demonizing people that don't fit your mold or who don't agree with what you think is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living