Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 02:56 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Normally dogs that aren't fenced don't **** in yards they **** in the forest. That is nature at work.

There is no such thing as 'normal'. My father had a neighbor's dog that came down every day and went on his front lawn. Besides that; who's forest? If it belongs to the neighbor; it's not your forest for your dog.

When people buy pets it is their responsibility to care for their pet. It isn't the neighbor's responsibility. If you feel that it is the neighbor's responsibility then just give your pet to your neighbor to do with whatever they want; including selling it or turning it into a dog pound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 05:38 AM

296 posts, read 266,042 times
Quote:
Interesting debate. I just moved to northern West Virginia and my dog is the one that wanders. I have a few acres and neighbors not too close but with a German Short Hair Pointer miles away could be close given his range.

One neighbor has complained to me. He says he knows the breed and the dog needs to run but he is fed up with my dog digging holes in his lawn. I do not disagree with him so we talked about what could be done.

I suggested a fence on the property line but the neighbor didn't want it. He said my dog was going into his garage when his wife left the garage door open and eating garbage.

Again i can only fence it off to completely avoid it. So I told him let's take some cayenne pepper and sprinkle it in places to deter my dog. He agreed and it sort of worked but what worked better is when i told him to be firm with my dog. Before his other family members were petting and welcoming my dog because he is simply very sociable and most people like him.

I told the neighbor to just threaten my dog with a garden hose because he hates being sprayed and it worked.

Go talk to the neighbor, it is likely he can contain the dog durning your hunting time. If he has a hyper breed like a short hair or such it is unlikely he can contain it 365 a year.

All this talk about shooting peoples pets is unnecessary, Nobody can prove you shot somebodies dog but you can't prove they didn't burn your cabin down, salt your land and poison your well either. When I lived in the countryside and had city people come around that were too bothersome, a couple of pounds of roofing nails on the driveway and road approaching was pretty popular. Good for local business as well, (tire repair shop) from what i heard not that I would stoop that low. I wouldn't shoot a pet either though so there is that.

Don't escalate a conflict that doesn't need to be unless the dog is very aggressive. Dog **** on your land? Come on.

So we can assume you are okay with your dog roaming onto someone's property who has, say, a loose Presa Canario that isn't keen on your dog on its property? And please don't tell us that your dog is so friendly that never will there be an issue with your dog popping onto property where there's another dog..
Or how about a livestock guardian dog such as a Great Pyr? You understand the outcome in these scenarios could be ugly, right?

Old 09-10-2018, 07:17 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Talking to the dog's owner first is the most neighborly thing to do. He may not even know it's an issue and may very well remedy the problem. Definitely worth a shot. If the neighbor is unreasonable, or doesn't remedy the problem, that's when the SSS option can become a more realistic last resort.

For a less lethal option, empty an entire can of bear spray on the dog next time it's trespassing and acting aggressively towards you. It may never want to come back over that .
They know people may SSS, or the dogs could get hurt on their own but they let them wander anyway. So they don't care much about the dog's welfare. Same with roaming cats who mess up people's yards and get taken by coyotes. Some owners just don't care so why get a pet anyway.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:56 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Dog owners make too many excuses for their dogs roaming off their own property.

The thing that others object to is not the occasional getting out (“escape”). It is the repeat offenders.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:58 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times
Quote:
Interesting debate. I just moved to northern West Virginia and my dog is the one that wanders. I have a few acres and neighbors not too close but with a German Short Hair Pointer miles away could be close given his range.

One neighbor has complained to me. He says he knows the breed and the dog needs to run but he is fed up with my dog digging holes in his lawn. I do not disagree with him so we talked about what could be done.

I suggested a fence on the property line but the neighbor didn't want it. He said my dog was going into his garage when his wife left the garage door open and eating garbage.

Again i can only fence it off to completely avoid it. So I told him let's take some cayenne pepper and sprinkle it in places to deter my dog. He agreed and it sort of worked but what worked better is when i told him to be firm with my dog. Before his other family members were petting and welcoming my dog because he is simply very sociable and most people like him.

I told the neighbor to just threaten my dog with a garden hose because he hates being sprayed and it worked.

Go talk to the neighbor, it is likely he can contain the dog durning your hunting time. If he has a hyper breed like a short hair or such it is unlikely he can contain it 365 a year.
lol

Stop being lazy, keep your dumb dog off your neighbors property. I love how you are telling your neighbor how to handle YOUR dog. How about YOU handle YOUR dog??The guy was trying to be nice to you. Pony up the dough and have an invisible fence set up.
Your dog would have taken a long ride with me, no collar to a shelter in the next county if I had to put up with that nonsense.
When will dog owners get it????? Most people dont appreciate your dog on their land, garage etc. Be responsible already.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:35 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
lol

Stop being lazy, keep your dumb dog off your neighbors property. I love how you are telling your neighbor how to handle YOUR dog. How about YOU handle YOUR dog??The guy was trying to be nice to you. Pony up the dough and have an invisible fence set up.
Your dog would have taken a long ride with me, no collar to a shelter in the next county if I had to put up with that nonsense.
When will dog owners get it????? Most people dont appreciate your dog on their land, garage etc. Be responsible already.
That story made me go whoa too. The neighbour would be me being nice. I would be floored to have someone else not taking the hint and making his dog my problem. I wouldn't shoot personally but I'd be calling the pound. I agree an invisible fence is the way to go. It's what I have.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:26 PM

296 posts, read 266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
lol

Because he is one of the thousands of dog owners who think their dog is special, doesn't need training, can roam off the property and bother others, will always come back, is a super hero and can defend itself from any potential predators.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Just as a follow up to this sentence, I just counted, and I have over 25 text messages I've sent to the neighbor about his loose dogs on our property. These are messages I've sent BEGGING him to come and get, and permanently contain, his dogs.

I am a very patient and restrained person. Most would not be as patient as me. But I don't know anyone who is quick to want to shoot a dog.
Yes, it's very distasteful. I would rather shoot the dog owner. That's why I always make an attempt to catch the dog. Usually you can bait them in with treats and get a leash on them. If they are peaceful, they get a ride to the pound. If they are too much to handle, the animal control officer gets a call.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
This is not about gun control, it's about self control.
And here I thought it was about animal control.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yes, not a single cow, calf or sheep was ever killed by a coyote around here.
Outside the city limits it might be different. My neighbor was put out of the sheep business by coyotes. One year, out of 80 bred ewes, only 3 lambs survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living