Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 08:56 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,217 times

Advertisements

It really doesn't bother me that hunters bait deer, but what challenge or accomplishment is it to bait them in with food and then shoot them? Seems to take the sport and the thrill of pursuit out of hunting. Not really any talent or skill required. From a sportsmanship and hunting perspective, it falls flat. Around here, they will try anything, though, because there is black market for the mounts and this drives poaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 01:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
It really doesn't bother me that hunters bait deer, but what challenge or accomplishment is it to bait them in with food and then shoot them? Seems to take the sport and the thrill of pursuit out of hunting.
Well, some people want the meat. I knew farmers like that; the deer they killed were part of their diet and killing the deer was a chore not a sport.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:51 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
It really doesn't bother me that hunters bait deer, but what challenge or accomplishment is it to bait them in with food and then shoot them? Seems to take the sport and the thrill of pursuit out of hunting. Not really any talent or skill required. From a sportsmanship and hunting perspective, it falls flat. Around here, they will try anything, though, because there is black market for the mounts and this drives poaching.
Some states with a deer population problem allow baiting combined with high bag limits to knock down the numbers.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:40 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times
Quote:
Around here, they will try anything, though, because there is black market for the mounts and this drives poaching.

There is?!?!?!

Can you back that up??

Black markets are created when there is a limited supply of product.
Deer population in the US is off the hook!

Im not for or against baiting, but this topic is steering far off its original course.

Remember it all started out as simple as this...

Respecting Private property, VS disrespecting private property.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:54 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
There is?!?!?!

Respecting Private property, VS disrespecting private property.

D*mned disrespectful dog.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:11 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
For the vast majority of hunters who actually do want the meat… The goal, the challenge and the pride In accomplishment is in a clean quick, humane kill of a healthy animal and quick efficient processing of the meat. That’s how you get the best meat when they’re not full of adrenaline. There is no special goal or desire by hunters to add difficulty to the hunt *just* to make it a better story. Adding difficulty to the hunt increases the odds for a less than perfect outcome.

As for a black market for mounts? I’m not aware of one. I see enough estate sales and garage sales with deer mounts no one wants to buy that I can’t imagine there is a black market for them. No one I know wants somebody else’s mount. They want their own.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:44 AM

1,564 posts, read 2,797,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
D*mned disrespectful dog.
Doggone disrespectful dog owner.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:43 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
For the vast majority of hunters who actually do want the meat… The goal, the challenge and the pride In accomplishment is in a clean quick, humane kill of a healthy animal and quick efficient processing of the meat. That’s how you get the best meat when they’re not full of adrenaline. There is no special goal or desire by hunters to add difficulty to the hunt *just* to make it a better story. Adding difficulty to the hunt increases the odds for a less than perfect outcome.

As for a black market for mounts? I’m not aware of one. I see enough estate sales and garage sales with deer mounts no one wants to buy that I can’t imagine there is a black market for them. No one I know wants somebody else’s mount. They want their own.

I remember a black market for mounts in my area many years ago. I presume that it might still happen; but I don't know. I live in a tourist area and many from NYC and Philly would come to my Poconos and buy their mounts to take home and brag about their hunt. In the meantime that sat at a bar for their hole hunting trip! There were at least two groups of outlaws that were selling bucks in my area. I believe they would process the deer for the hunters. One group they caught up with in the 1960's and I think they found around 17 deer hanging in their barn. The other group I do not think they ever caught up with and he simply died of old age - but I could be wrong.

As far as you "clean quick, humane kill": archery hunters normally allow half an hour to an hour before they start to track down animals they have hit. The idea is to let them bleed out since arrows do not have the energy or accuracy of bullets. I would think that an animal with an arrow in it has plenty of adrenaline flowing! I am just saying this because so many think guns when they think of hunters and archery is a fast growing portion of our hunters.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:48 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I am personally not a fan of bow hunting on large game for that reason.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:43 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
The OP has already stated it's not even so he can hunt them - he want to take pictures of them, which is, if anything, even more inane. All the potential negative impact of baiting, for photos? Might as well go do wildlife photography at the zoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living