Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 01:51 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The idea is to let them bleed out since arrows do not have the energy or accuracy of bullets. I would think that an animal with an arrow in it has plenty of adrenaline flowing! I am just saying this because so many think guns when they think of hunters and archery is a fast growing portion of our hunters.
Inaccuracies all over the place fisheye.

Todays arrows, have plenty of energy to take a deer down. They normally pass right through the animal. Many broadheads have a 2" wide cutting path. (thats huge) So imagine if you will a 2" wide double edged blade sharp as a surgeons knife going right through both of your lungs, or heart. Death is seconds away.
Bows these days are highly, extremely, accurate tools to get the job done. Most deer shot with a bow are under 20 yards. Todays bows have pinpoint accuracy out to 50 yards and beyond. Of course that is all up to the shooter as well. The same could be said for a firearm.
The idea of waiting 30 minutes before tracking an animal has to do with bad shots, same as a gun. If you miss the heart or lungs, the animal will run about 100-150 yards, and lay down. It may take some time for death to catch up with it. Most of the deer I have taken with the bow have only run about 50 yards before dropping dead never getting out of my sight.

Yet again steering far off the original topic.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 03:41 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Inaccuracies all over the place fisheye.

Todays arrows, have plenty of energy to take a deer down. They normally pass right through the animal. Many broadheads have a 2" wide cutting path. (thats huge) So imagine if you will a 2" wide double edged blade sharp as a surgeons knife going right through both of your lungs, or heart. Death is seconds away.
Bows these days are highly, extremely, accurate tools to get the job done. Most deer shot with a bow are under 20 yards. Todays bows have pinpoint accuracy out to 50 yards and beyond. Of course that is all up to the shooter as well. The same could be said for a firearm.
The idea of waiting 30 minutes before tracking an animal has to do with bad shots, same as a gun. If you miss the heart or lungs, the animal will run about 100-150 yards, and lay down. It may take some time for death to catch up with it. Most of the deer I have taken with the bow have only run about 50 yards before dropping dead never getting out of my sight.

Yet again steering far off the original topic.....

I don't want to get off subject. I was simply responding to another post. Not every archery hunter is an Ivanhoe. Not every archery hunter waits for the 'perfect' shot. I would even bet that you don't immediately leave your stand because you want to make sure the deer bleeds out. I was responding to a post talking about humane, quick, kills and the most humane way to kill is to liquify the brains - instant death and the animal feels nothing. But many rifle hunters would not take that shot for fear of spoiling the rack. But, back to subject.

Anybody that respects their pet and wants to keep it safe; should keep it on their own property. Otherwise it can be killed on the road, killed by coyotes or other wild animals, or possibly be shot by those that do not care for another's pet running on their property.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:44 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Doggone disrespectful dog owner.

Agreed. But seems too many just want to punish the dog without going to the owner first.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:53 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,217 times
Here is some info about poaching.

https://ksoutdoors.com/Services/Law-...ion-Game-Thief

Old 09-24-2018, 02:10 PM

949 posts, read 573,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some states with a deer population problem allow baiting combined with high bag limits to knock down the numbers.
They have a human population problem, too many idiots, not a deer problem. Get it right.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:14 PM

45,423 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
They have a human population problem, too many idiots, not a deer problem. Get it right.
I do have it right. There are more whitetail deer now, today as we speak, than there were in 1618.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:51 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,653 times
I live out in the sticks in Georgia. I have never met the property owners of the 800 acre property next to mine. I have, however, met the group of hunters that lease that property for the aporox. 3 month deer season. These gentlemen are from Florida, which means they pay an elevated out of state hunting liceance fee. They each pay $1800 per season for the lease. They tow campers about 300 miles and set up a hunt camp. They usually get up here to hunt two weekends a month and sometimes stay one or two full weeks during the season. They often drive here after work on Friday so they can hunt the prime early morning hours on Saturday. They are a good bunch of guys and as far as I am concerned are great stewards of the land. All that being said, if one of my dogs got out and happened to chase a deer under one of their occupied stands I would expect them to shoot it. Hell, I would do the same. Now, on the other side of my property I casually know that local neighbor. I do not think he would shoot my dog in that sceanerio and I would not shoot his. That is normal around here, plain and simple.
And in regards to bait stations for deer, the Georgia DNR are very active and are quite aware of the deer herd. If there was any significant chance of increased disease issues by allowing baiting of deer they would not allow it. We are blessed with a very healthy deer population, which results in a large number of deer allowed to be harvested by each hunter. My one and only complaint is that when I am hunting, the deer belong to the state. If I break some hunting regulation I will be paying a fine to the county I broke the regulation in. But when that state deer runs out infront of my truck they no longer want to claim that deer, or the damage it caused. It just seems odd to me. By harvesting a few deer per year I am reducing the number of car/deer claims made to Gieco, State Farm, Allstate, etc.. If the state claims the deer for hunting purposes they should own the deer after a collision.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:50 AM

949 posts, read 573,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I do have it right. There are more whitetail deer now, today as we speak, than there were in 1618.
Good, leave them alone. Do you know how fun it would be to hunt humans instead for fun?

Old 09-25-2018, 08:30 AM

45,423 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Good, leave them alone. Do you know how fun it would be to hunt humans instead for fun?
Easy to say until you hit one with your car or you're a farmer and your entire strawberry crop is eaten. The reality is that in many areas, whether you like it or not, deer have gone into pest species mode. The alternative is denuded landscaped and the "Circle of Life" taking over. Over in Nature there's a thread about what happens to animals when they get too old to find food or evade predators. Real life, nature, is not pretty.

Why yes, I do.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:57 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,653 times
Quote:
Despite me and the other heathen hunters havesting over 184,000 deer last year, there were over 49,000 deer/vehicle accidents. That is roughly 1 out of 134 vehicles in the state. Leave them alone you say? I am damn glad you are not in charge. One would not be able to swing a dead neighbors dog without hitting a few deer on your watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living