Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 08:07 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,446,906 times

Advertisements

Snowpacked = "Do you know how fun it would be to hunt humans instead for fun?"

What a demented point of view.

Serial killer wannabe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 11:28 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Easy to say until you hit one with your car or you're a farmer and your entire strawberry crop is eaten. The reality is that in many areas, whether you like it or not, deer have gone into pest species mode. The alternative is denuded landscaped and the "Circle of Life" taking over. Over in Nature there's a thread about what happens to animals when they get too old to find food or evade predators. Real life, nature, is not pretty.

Why yes, I do.
Or a motorcycle as I did a few years ago.

When my father was alive, I always "hunted" while home at Thanksgiving. "Hunted" is in quotations because it was really "harvesting".

Around 3:30, I'd grab a gun and a paperback and walked about 100 yards down into the field below his house where there was an elevated shooting house. I'd spend the next hour or so reading until it was almost too dark to see. I quietly set the book down, look out, pick out a deer and shoot it.

My record was four deer in four days - my brother-in-law was thrilled to pick up the meat at the processors for his freezer.

This was open season so it was legal to shoot does of which, there is no shortage. This is a region of the US where white-tail deer were hunted to near extinction during the depression. When my father was a kid, he said it was really an event to see a deer back then. Now, clearly, it's not an issue.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:01 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Snowpacked = "Do you know how fun it would be to hunt humans instead for fun?"

What a demented point of view.

Serial killer wannabe?
Naw, this is just a reaction from one who feels first, thinks second. I think, these days, thst is what it typically called being a "snowflake". Emotions first.
Always followed by back peddaling when reason is applied.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:57 AM

255 posts, read 168,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Good, leave them alone. Do you know how fun it would be to hunt humans instead for fun?
Wow - what a crazy comment! That is seriously disturbing!

Old 09-28-2018, 09:01 AM

255 posts, read 168,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
It really doesn't bother me that hunters bait deer, but what challenge or accomplishment is it to bait them in with food and then shoot them? Seems to take the sport and the thrill of pursuit out of hunting. Not really any talent or skill required. From a sportsmanship and hunting perspective, it falls flat. Around here, they will try anything, though, because there is black market for the mounts and this drives poaching.
Maybe it is about getting meat to eat for the family and not about the "sport and thrill of pursuit of hunting." How is that different than going out to the barnyard and grabbing a couple chickens or rabbits to slaughter for dinner? Or loading up a cow or pig to go to the processing plant? How is this any worse than this - https://goo.gl/images/bzTKNR If you eat any meats from the industrial food supply, you have no room to comment on hunting.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:23 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBZB View Post
Maybe it is about getting meat to eat for the family and not about the "sport and thrill of pursuit of hunting." How is that different than going out to the barnyard and grabbing a couple chickens or rabbits to slaughter for dinner? Or loading up a cow or pig to go to the processing plant? How is this any worse than this - https://goo.gl/images/bzTKNR If you eat any meats from the industrial food supply, you have no room to comment on hunting.
How dare you just show up and start flinging reason and rational thought around. The gall of some people.
Sarcasm and/or humor in blue.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:03 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times
If you don't want me to treat your dog as a stray and possibly rabid, then don't you treat it as a stray and let it run loose.

I knew a man who quite some years ago had a smallish dog. There were 2 large dogs who roamed the neighborhood.

The dogs came into his property and practically peeled his dog's skin over halfway down his back. The vet sewed him up and dog cooperated.

A year or two later same 2 dogs were still roaming free. Came onto property and tore smallish dog's skin back again by shaking the dog.

Had him sewed up again.

While dog was recuperating, man went to all the neighbors asking whose dogs they were. No one would claim them. Man said "ok, since the don't belong to anyone, no one will miss them". He shot and killed them both. Nope, it wasn't me. Problem solved. Smallish dog lived to be 17 years old.

In this case I'd set a safe trap, take dog to no kill shelter if owner didn't solve the problem himself after being informed of the situation.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:14 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
If you don't want me to treat your dog as a stray and possibly rabid, then don't you treat it as a stray and let it run loose.

I knew a man who quite some years ago had a smallish dog. There were 2 large dogs who roamed the neighborhood.

The dogs came into his property and practically peeled his dog's skin over halfway down his back. The vet sewed him up and dog cooperated

A year or two later same 2 dogs were still roaming free. Came onto property and tore smallish dog's skin back again by shaking the dog.

Had him sewed up again.

While dog was recuperating, man went to all the neighbors asking whose dogs they were. No one would claim them. Man said "ok, since the don't belong to anyone, no one will miss them". He shot and killed them both. Nope, it wasn't me. Problem solved. Smallish dog lived to be 17 years old.

In this case I'd set a safe trap, take dog to no kill shelter if owner didn't solve the problem himself after being informed of the situation.
Recuperated, not cooperated.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I bought some wooded acreage for hunting which happens to be part of in a small rural neighborhood.
The neighborhood is very quiet, hardly ever see anyone there when I go there.
Wouldn't your hunting interfere with the peace and quiet of the neighborhood? How can you legally shoot in a neighborhood? That aside, dogs shouldn't run loose and animal control should take it away.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:37 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,833,452 times
Look around and find where the dog travels on trails he must have some place he patrols regular. Next buy some of that green twine like walmart sells in the garden section OR another kind that breaks easily. Next look up how to make a snare and how to set one up do it and instead of tying it off to something get a can that has a lift tab that stays on the can when lifted up. Tie the loose end to the can and have the snare have about a 2 foot long end on it where it ties on the can. Next put 10 or so small pebbles in the can to make it rattle good and loud. The dog will go through the snare and it will go around its neck and rattle as it drags it behind. This will send it running back home and if it catches on something it will break and not hurt it or kill it. I have used this for over 40 years and never injured a dog and after a time or two they won't run on my land. People think they can let their animals run at will when they move to the country and it causes a lot of problems. This is one of the ways I handle them.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living