Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:26 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,392,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Look around and find where the dog travels on trails he must have some place he patrols regular. Next buy some of that green twine like walmart sells in the garden section OR another kind that breaks easily. Next look up how to make a snare and how to set one up do it and instead of tying it off to something get a can that has a lift tab that stays on the can when lifted up. Tie the loose end to the can and have the snare have about a 2 foot long end on it where it ties on the can. Next put 10 or so small pebbles in the can to make it rattle good and loud. The dog will go through the snare and it will go around its neck and rattle as it drags it behind. This will send it running back home and if it catches on something it will break and not hurt it or kill it. I have used this for over 40 years and never injured a dog and after a time or two they won't run on my land. People think they can let their animals run at will when they move to the country and it causes a lot of problems. This is one of the ways I handle them.....
I rep'd you for the good advice, but I prefer the easier SSS method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 12:34 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,833,452 times
You bet Grouse789 That's the last resort for me unless I catch them in the act then it's dirt nap time.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:37 PM

782 posts, read 1,357,466 times
Well update:
For months now, I've watched this dog show up on my game cameras placed at random locations on my property.
Every time I'm there the darn dog comes around barking at me as if I were on his turf.
But yesterday was the final when this dog barks and follows me all around my property. It wouldn't give up trailing me.
I returned to the owner's house and informed him how his dog roams about freely and follows and barks at me on my property.
The kicker is that I watched for some 20 minutes as the owner and his wife unsuccessfully tried to call their dog in. They were clearly frustrated with the dog's disobedience to their calling.When I last saw them the dog was walking away from them as they pursued it up the road.
I did tell the owner that I spoke with the sheriff's department who advised me that dogs are not allowed to roam off the owner's property.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:17 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Well update:
For months now, I've watched this dog show up on my game cameras placed at random locations on my property.
Every time I'm there the darn dog comes around barking at me as if I were on his turf.
But yesterday was the final when this dog barks and follows me all around my property. It wouldn't give up trailing me.
I returned to the owner's house and informed him how his dog roams about freely and follows and barks at me on my property.
The kicker is that I watched for some 20 minutes as the owner and his wife unsuccessfully tried to call their dog in. They were clearly frustrated with the dog's disobedience to their calling.When I last saw them the dog was walking away from them as they pursued it up the road.
I did tell the owner that I spoke with the sheriff's department who advised me that dogs are not allowed to roam off the owner's property.
Odd thought probably, but have you thought about
taking the dog in and give it some training and love?

Dog obviously likes hanging around and this way you turn it
into something good for all parties, especially the dog.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:34 PM

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post

Except it's not his responsibility to train the dog.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:46 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:

Yes, that is an odd thought.

Dogs that hang around are not necessarily showing affection for the person whose property they invade. We have this going on with two dogs belonging to a neighbor. The dogs run here while chasing wildlife. We rebuke them but they apparently are either very dumb or very stubborn about getting THEIR way on OUR property, because they come back.

They have plenty of their own acres to run on, and we do not welcome them. They also dig, which causes damage. Two dogs constitutes a pack. When the neighbors moved in, I only heard one dog early on. The invading and chasing was not a problem at that point, only after a second dog got brought in.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:

No I haven't and won't think of spending my limited time there trying to train 'and love' on someone else's dog so it will hang around more on my property.

I mean:

Old 12-26-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Wouldn't your hunting interfere with the peace and quiet of the neighborhood? How can you legally shoot in a neighborhood? That aside, dogs shouldn't run loose and animal control should take it away.
I used the term 'neighborhood' loosely but it's not urban or suburban; it's rural Georgia where it's not uncommon for folks to hunt on their land.
Hunting has always been legal here and gunshots can be heard anytime esp during hunting season. Hunting is a form of recreation and deep seated part of the culture.
If you don't fish and hunt here, you're the odd one.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:19 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I used the term 'neighborhood' loosely but it's not urban or suburban;
it's rural Georgia where it's not uncommon for folks to hunt on their land.
I bet it's not uncommon for folks to let their dogs run loose pretty regularly too.
Maybe even all the time as the 'norm'

In all this back and forth... have you spoken to any of the people who have been there
for the years or decades before you decided to grace them with your presence?
Learned anything about how they've been getting along without you?

Old 01-03-2019, 07:46 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,606,441 times
over here if the dog is worrying livestock the landowner is within his rights to shoot it, I know at least one person this has happened to, his fault not the dog's but the dog paid the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living