Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 03:33 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Nor should you. Unless that information is valid. Which it is Not.

Go do a proper legal search .

OP . Feel free to address the concern with the neighbor.
And where oh where is your proof otherwise?
Stop with the Peter Pan advice lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 04:03 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Good luck to you. I ended up paying $5000 in court costs trying to keep my neighbor from letting their dog run loose on my property...poohing, watering the shrubs, digging holes etc., I tried calling the town, they had me call the pet control officer who was useless, so we went to court. People just have no respect for other peoples property. They do not know their boundaries.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:19 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Good luck to you. I ended up paying $5000 in court costs trying to keep my neighbor from letting their dog run loose on my property...poohing, watering the shrubs, digging holes etc., I tried calling the town, they had me call the pet control officer who was useless, so we went to court. People just have no respect for other peoples property. They do not know their boundaries.
$5,000!!! Nope! That's a dog that would have just mysteriously disappeared. Or he would have accidentally gotten into something he shouldn't have eaten.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:52 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
No, you cannot just shoot someone's dog. That's a great way to get hauled into court.
If someone purposely shot a dog of mine I would kill them, plain and simple. Don’t want the dog on your property; talk to the owner or call animal control.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Lol no, you are still incorrect. If my statement is so flawed prove otherwise.
I believe you are the one "riddled with inaccuracies"
Like here....
"Generally, no. While you may own the land, the law in most jurisdictions is that you do not own the wild animals on it. ... It is not legal to hunt protected wild game on your own land unless the game is a threat or nuisance which threatens human safety, livestock or property.not true at all. You can indeed hunt animals that are in season on your own land, providing there is enough legal distance between you and another dwelling
The dog maybe intruding...but no you don't get to pop it or even haul it off to animal services. actually wrong again. You do indeed get to haul it off to animal services. There is a dog on your property. No one says, no one law stating it is your responsibility to find or contact the owner. That's called a courtesy. Sorry but you are letting your animal run free thru the world, that's uncourteous. And lastly, yes you do get to "pop" the animal if it is on your property and threatening you. I've got children, if there is a dog acting in a threatening manner and my kids are out there, I'm going to put it down.You do get to be civil and diplomatically address this with the neighbor. Dirt never has and never will be as valued as a family pet.
you are correct, dirt will never be valued as a pet, so please stop breaking the law, allowing your animal to trespass.

Oh yea one more thing, please show me where it states dogs can roam free?

Thank you for trying to educate this person. Good luck with that. (Have dogs, live in the country, know the laws regarding hunting well and have hunting on both sides of our property, have been on the Board of a nationwide equine rescue for 14 years, so it's not like I hate animals. But making up laws out of whole cloth does the animals no favors.)

Old 08-29-2018, 06:32 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
If someone purposely shot a dog of mine I would kill them, plain and simple. Don’t want the dog on your property; talk to the owner or call animal control.
Wow, it takes a special kind of stupid to be willing to spend the rest of one’s life in prison over a dog that you didn’t care enough to keep contained in the first place. OTOH, I am sure someone shooting a dog on their property would not use all their bullets and would have one left for the nutcase owner too, and THEY could legitimately claim self defense.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:44 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
OP, if you drop the dog off at the pound, they may ask for your name and address and the owner might see who you are anyway. So if you bring the dog in, you might want to say it's a stray that's running around your land and trying to fight your own dog and don't say anything about knowing who the owner is. That way if the owner picks his dog up, finds out who you are and confronts you, you can apologize and say (very sweetly) that you didn't want to incur thousands of dollars in vet bills (and insinuate that the owner will pay those vet bills the next time his dog gets out).

There are some other options.

What about a paintball gun? Load it up and shoot the dog in the hind end. That shouldn't kill the dog, but will cause it to go yowling on home (and before you call me mean, I've been hit by paintballs many times, so yes I've been there). If the owner pays any attention to the dog, it will see the paint on the dog and figure out what happened. At the very least, if you can get to the dog, you could also paint a message on him, saying something like "Please keep me leashed up!" After that you can start to paint the dog all sorts of colors or designs.

The other thing you might be able to do is to get a hose and spray the dog when it's on your land.

If it approaches you aggressively, you might want to have some bear spray handy. That will solve the problem of it approaching you, but not coming on your property.

I understand you want to have wild animals come on your property and I forget how much land you have, but you could also run a strand of electrified wire about the perimeter about two feet off the ground. You can power that by a solar battery. I've seen that done on horse pens to keep stallions from getting ideas about going through fences. The shock is uncomfortable (yes, I've been shocked by fences like that, too), but it will enforce the message.

Electric wires tick as the current goes through them, so if the dog is shocked once, he'll probably always stay away from a wire if he hears it ticking. Deer might stay away, too, but they're large enough to figure out how to jump the wire.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:51 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I don't understand. You want to hunt the land, but it's in a neighborhood? Wouldn't that disturb the neighbors in this neighborhood?

Also, you're baiting the deer, in order to hunt them in the neighborhood? Doesn't that seem a bit, ummm, unsportmanlike?

If the neighbors are close enough that their dog wanders over, isn't it too close to people to hunt on that land? It seems as if bullets might fly over onto other peoples' property. You might even accidentally shoot a neighbor.

Maybe you should sell this, and just hunt on wide open public lands during hunting season, instead of on a small piece of land that you bait deer on, in a neighborhood.

In my state, it's illegal to bait animals or birds, in order to shoot them, unless the bait is growing from the ground.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:55 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
If it's rural enough, animal control probably won't do anything. I've reported vicious dogs, abused dogs, loose dogs. No action ever taken.

But in that country, I could legally shoot a dog that was damaging my property. I never did.

YMMV

Old 08-29-2018, 06:56 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Lol, not looking for you , not calling animal control if your fifi is running around with one of my chickens in its mouth, or menacing my kids. Nah, I'm going to put it down, call the police, fill out the proper paperwork, then have them hand you a summon for not containing your pet on your property. No time to talk to owner who thinks it's perfectly acceptable to let their dog free range thru the county. Irresponsibility plain and simple.
I don't run in your backyard, peeing on your patio and biting you. Lol, nor my dog. So don't go lettin your dog do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living