Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:32 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
In my area, there is nothing you can do regarding dogs crossing onto your property, except if you fear for your life. I have dogs crossing my property (65 acres) all the time, therefore no bears or coyotes.
I much prefer the native wild animals to invasive domestic dogs. Mountain lions would be good for the OP’s situation.

Dogs harass and kill lots of wild and domestic animals on other people’s land. If someone kills such an invasive dog, it is the dog owner’s fault that the dog got killed. This is not the same as some cattle or horses that occasionally get out of their pastures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 10:42 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Those owners aren’t doing their pet any favors. I would never allow that with my dog. Too many weirdos that want to harm the animal in this thread alone. Too bad you can’t adopt the animal and just take it home with you. It would probably have a better home.
I'm just stating what the laws in my state are with regards to loose dogs in certain circumstances. It's simple common sense to keep your dog leashed/confined and off of other people's property.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:11 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Not if they shoot you first. Don’t like other property owners running your dog off THEIR land, talk to them or call animal control, who will state that YOU are in the wrong for letting the dog go anywhere.
Anyone’s dog can escape the house on occasion by accident, e.g., a door just shut tightly and the dog jumps on it, a young child unknowingly opens the door, any number of possibilities. If a neighbor of mine did not have the decency to at least call me or animal control before shooting the dog, their payback WOULD come, even if it meant jail time. Not saying I am right, but I would not stand for it.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:24 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Anyone’s dog can escape the house on occasion by accident, e.g., a door just shut tightly and the dog jumps on it, a young child unknowingly opens the door, any number of possibilities. If a neighbor of mine did not have the decency to at least call me or animal control before shooting the dog, their payback WOULD come, even if it meant jail time. Not saying I am right, but I would not stand for it.
You might be surprised to know there are tens of thousands of responsible dog owners that despite having countless dogs, over many decades, have never once had one of these "accidents"! There are countless owners that manage to keep their dogs contained regardless of "any number of possibilities." You're NOT right and hopefully, the person at the other end would not stand for it and jail time would be the least of your worries. Of course, the chance of your dog getting shot is GREATLY reduced if it is a friendly, non-intimidating dog and not a dangerous breed. But you can bet not many people are going to tolerate being threatened by someone else's dog on their own property, or tolerate someone else's dog disturbing their own animals/livestock. So you may want to eliminate a large number of those "possibilities" - just watch what responsible owners do, and then do that thing.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:41 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Yes, but the situation we are replying to pertains to a nuisance dog. Not a one time dog running through property.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:44 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Whatever. You people sound deranged. Next topic.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:27 PM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Some dog owners just don't get it. A huge dog came tearing toward me down my driveway. I yelled and threw a rock; the owner suddenly appeared and yelled at me for throwing a rock at his dog. Apparently, he was walking the dog off leash and lets him go on everybody's property, but homeowners are not allowed to defend themselves.

I was tempted to throw a rock at the owner...

Old 08-30-2018, 06:50 PM

45,415 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
In my state, it's illegal to bait animals or birds, in order to shoot them, unless the bait is growing from the ground.
Birds, if you mean waterfowl, is federal. And you are correct, it is illegal to bait them. That's a federal law although some stateshave even tighter regulations based on the federal one.

For deer, baiting laws vary by state. Some allow it, some don't. Some allow certain types of bait and not others.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:59 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
A couple tips:

If you know of an abused animal, don't call animal control, call the local humane society. If you think a junkyard dog is scary, try the ladies of the HS. They will drag the animal control officer out by his ear and demand he do his job. Pets left outside with no water, or without shelter in bad weather, will get rescued in short order.

If you are in an area where dog attacks can happen, pepper spray is one option. Another option is to carry a stout walking stick. I have a trucker's tire thumper, which is a miniature baseball bat with plenty of heft, but easy to use one handed. It also has a lanyard that wraps around your wrist, so it's hard to lose it.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:11 AM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
A couple tips:

If you know of an abused animal, don't call animal control, call the local humane society. If you think a junkyard dog is scary, try the ladies of the HS. They will drag the animal control officer out by his ear and demand he do his job. Pets left outside with no water, or without shelter in bad weather, will get rescued in short order.

If you are in an area where dog attacks can happen, pepper spray is one option. Another option is to carry a stout walking stick. I have a trucker's tire thumper, which is a miniature baseball bat with plenty of heft, but easy to use one handed. It also has a lanyard that wraps around your wrist, so it's hard to lose it.
Thank you for the tips. Too soon to rep you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living