Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 10:02 AM

1,201 posts, read 806,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but why not first try going over and talking to the new neighbor and asking him to keep his dog off of your property? I can totally understand why you are upset about this situation and I don't blame you one bit for feeling the way you do. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't first talk to him and then if that doesn't work, you can move on to other options, such as contacting animal control, etc.
What are you missing? Have you ever actually tried that before? In my experience, if dog owners are jacka$$es enough let their dog nuisance bark, walk and eliminate on your lawn, and roam free (including "escaping" repeatedly), they already lack common courtesy and consideration; having a friendly chat with them to ask them to be a considerate owner is just pi$$ing up a tree. I have left very friendly notes, once knocked on a door with a damn plate of homemade cookies, and had friendly chats over the past 35 years. Not ONCE has it had any effect in solving the issue. I take that back, there was a Jack Russell several streets over that would start barking around 6:00 a.m. every morning at an open window and bark for hours throughout the day. I finally confronted the owner, and in this case, I was less than "neighborly", and threatened to call animal control and the police. I reminded her of the ordinance and that her dog could be removed on the third offense; the first two being stiff fines. She asked what she was supposed to do since she worked all day. I told her that Jack Russells are NOT apartment dogs and if she could not meet its needs for lots of exercise and mental stimulation, she should find a new home for it. The dog was gone within two weeks so I guess she took my advice. I don't even bother anymore. I go straight to complaining either to management, animal control, or the police.

If I find a loose dog and it is of a normal breed and wearing ID tags, I will call the owner and hold the dog until they can pick it up (once). If it is a certain breed (tags or not) or not wearing tags, I catch it and either call animal control or take it down there and drop it off. We have a high kill shelter and the cute, normal dogs get adopted or rescued quickly and there's a high chance the other kind will be euthanized if not claimed within 3 days or so and I won't have to worry about seeing it loose again. As has been stated, if the owners were responsible and gave a damn about their pets, they wouldn't be loose and roaming on someone else's property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 10:25 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,815,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Poor dog. It isn't doing anything dogs don't instinctively do yet the dog will end up as the loser in this situation.

Yep. My friend's dog was poisoned because it ran over to the neighbors. It's not a bad dog, it's a bad owner. Honestly I would suggest a face to face meeting with the neighbor. People do stupid, thoughtless things, and sometimes they just need a friendly reminder. My friend was an idiot and disregarded her neighbors concerns. Unfortunately the dog died a painful and miserable death for it. It was hard to watch and she should have put it down. Some people just shouldn't have dogs.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:01 AM

257 posts, read 178,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I'm really peed off and am thinking of contacting animal control (sheriff's office) or worse.
Any suggestions?

Why do you need any suggestions from anyone? Just call animal control.

Don't warn the neighbor beforehand, because neighbor will probably just ignore you and you'll have to call anyway, and then the neighbor will know you're the one who called and might retaliate.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:10 AM

34,116 posts, read 83,097,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I bought some wooded acreage for hunting which happens to be part of in a small rural neighborhood.
The neighborhood is very quiet, hardly ever see anyone there when I go there.

Any suggestions?
I think you need a more remote spot for your hunting.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:04 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,964,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
You have a few options .
First off, check what your local laws are on people owning dogs. Here in lower NY, they are to be on their property. Leashed if off property.
Does this dog have tags?
Do you have children? You do have the right to protect them from feral animals.
Your property is your investment, not theirs. Protect it.
Read between the lines. If that dog has no tags, catch it and take it to an animal shelter.
Sorry to sound cold, but I can't stand irresponsible pet owners, I don't have time to plead or beg with people who think it's perfectly acceptable to let their animals on my property.
Don't forget that if a dog were to start chasing livestock, NYS law states the livestock owner can shoot the dog with no penalty.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:08 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,964,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
No, you cannot just shoot someone's dog. That's a great way to get hauled into court.
In my state, yes you can, if the dog is harassing your livestock. There have been several owners in my area who have found that out the hard way when their dogs wound up dead.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:09 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,394,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Don't forget that if a dog were to start chasing livestock, NYS law states the livestock owner can shoot the dog with no penalty.

That too.^^^^

I just don't understand people's Disneyfied view on pets. The real world operates very differently.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:44 PM

13,287 posts, read 8,480,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
I can't rep you again!
Nor should you. Unless that information is valid. Which it is Not.

Go do a proper legal search .

OP . Feel free to address the concern with the neighbor.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:47 PM

296 posts, read 266,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Lol no, you are still incorrect. If my statement is so flawed prove otherwise.
I believe you are the one "riddled with inaccuracies"
Like here....
"Generally, no. While you may own the land, the law in most jurisdictions is that you do not own the wild animals on it. ... It is not legal to hunt protected wild game on your own land unless the game is a threat or nuisance which threatens human safety, livestock or property.not true at all. You can indeed hunt animals that are in season on your own land, providing there is enough legal distance between you and another dwelling
The dog maybe intruding...but no you don't get to pop it or even haul it off to animal services. actually wrong again. You do indeed get to haul it off to animal services. There is a dog on your property. No one says, no one law stating it is your responsibility to find or contact the owner. That's called a courtesy. Sorry but you are letting your animal run free thru the world, that's uncourteous. And lastly, yes you do get to "pop" the animal if it is on your property and threatening you. I've got children, if there is a dog acting in a threatening manner and my kids are out there, I'm going to put it down.You do get to be civil and diplomatically address this with the neighbor. Dirt never has and never will be as valued as a family pet.
you are correct, dirt will never be valued as a pet, so please stop breaking the law, allowing your animal to trespass.

Oh yea one more thing, please show me where it states dogs can roam free?
Bingo. There is no state that allows free roaming dogs. ZERO.
And for those who have said to just "scare it off your property", that is not only NOT his responsibility but will create fear aggression and worsen the problem.

Also agree with the poster who said generally people who let dogs roam don't care about the dog. So true. Or, they know less than zero about k9 behavior.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:48 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,581,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
I should have read the comments first!
I'm glad you posted too as I didn't know what SSS was, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living