Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 09:42 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

We had a couple who must have been gang members from Pennsylvania. They started complaining about the neighbors and one country man down the street shut them up fast. He told them he moved to the country so he could mind his own business and let others mind theirs.

We were on a community well. This couple bought a huge above ground swimming pool and filled it up in the hot summertime from the well instead of getting the fire department to carry water from holding lakes that were made for large uses and the well dried up. The whole development had no water. Our county saved us by putting in city water from the main highway.

Let's just say they wore their welcome out and moved. I am not going to tell you why the gang members comment.

I wish motorcycle and bike riders would ride in their own areas, especially on Sunday morning when we are trying to get to church on time. We go through several stop signs. We would get around them traveling as if they were a car then when we get to the stop sign they go close to our stopped cars and through the stop sign and when we get through the stop sign we would have to pick our time on the curvy road to pass them again. We had some Sundays that we had to pass the same group of bicycle riders several times and by the time we got to church we really needed to be there.

Last edited by NCN; 02-11-2024 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 10:25 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
I live in a rural part of the state with a major east coast resort nearby, so I deal with both newcomers and tourists. Its not as rural as many parts of the country but this part of the state is lots of corn and bean fields and working fishing communities. I, myself am a transplant from what we call the other side of the bridge (I'm from (GASP!) the suburbs of DC originally.

Many from NJ, NY have been moving here as this area is more affordable then where they come from but as soon as they get settled in, they start complaining about the smells (chicken farms everywhere), combines going down the highway and causing traffic to back up, hunters, and the 2 1/2-hour drive to the main cities to get their "cultural fix" among other things Then they want things changed so "if only the taxes would be raised to "better" the county..." blah, blah, blah. Basically, they want to turn it into the place they came from.

Also, New Yorkers, I'm sorry if our water doesn't produce pizza crust that is good enough for you! Deal with it. And those from Jersey as well, if everything was better there, you can take the same road you came on and return. That ferry runs several times a day as well.

I think, in this area, there are those who come here to live based on a couple of vacations and when the off season comes around, they realize that all it is is a 6 month seaside vacation getaway that in the winter becomes small town USA and it is surrounded on 3 sides by corn fields, chicken farms and small "main street" towns!

The complaining irritates me, and I've seen it when I lived in S. Fl as well. I think, overall, most people are good and don't want to change things but those that do are just so vocal about it, it gets quite annoying.

I'm a transplant (a come here) myself but I guess the difference is I, as many others have, came here (or any other similar place) to get away from the city and suburbs and like the way of life over here. But there are those that just don't seem happy with their decision and take it out on us.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:23 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats_overlander View Post
If you really need to socialize with someone locally in rural or semi-rural place (small towns are not "rural") start going to church.
I don't think that atheists should go to church just to socialize --imo, that would be hypocritical -- but that is why knowing the area before you move and knowing how much you can handle being without a lot of socialization is a good idea.

Of course, I am talking about rural areas in which newcomers without family or who don't go to church might find themselves without much socialization. Some people can handle that fine, but I realize that many others would find that to be a big problem after a while.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:39 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I don't think that atheists should go to church just to socialize --imo, that would be hypocritical -- but that is why knowing the area before you move and knowing how much you can handle being without a lot of socialization is a good idea.

Of course, I am talking about rural areas in which newcomers without family or who don't go to church might find themselves without much socialization. Some people can handle that fine, but I realize that many others would find that to be a big problem after a while.
The first year after I bought land here when I was focused on building our house. I joined the American Legion in our nearest incorporated town. Then the VFW and the Masonic Lodge. Between those groups, each with active social calendars, I had at least one potluck to go to every week.

Those connections gave me lots of local info.

If you are new to an area and want to make friends among the locals I suggest that you do likewise.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:44 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
^^Good ideas, and I'd recommend any kind of gardening groups or classes. Gardens for food or production are, obviously, more common in rural areas. When I moved to my current area I soon signed up for various classes and workshops, and it was there that I found "my people" as well as connections that led to other opportunities.

Classes are offered by your county extension office, local gardening groups/clubs, or universities. Some are free, some not.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:33 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
^^Good ideas, and I'd recommend any kind of gardening groups or classes. Gardens for food or production are, obviously, more common in rural areas. When I moved to my current area I soon signed up for various classes and workshops, and it was there that I found "my people" as well as connections that led to other opportunities.

Classes are offered by your county extension office, local gardening groups/clubs, or universities. Some are free, some not.
Yes, all good ideas.

Once we were living here, then I planted a fruit orchard, started gardening and was a vendor at a Farmer's Market. Maple tapping, foraging herbs, Chickens, goats, pigs, etc.

I joined MOFGA [Maine Organic Farmers & Gardeners] they had originated the idea of Certified Organic back in 1970. Now MOFGA is our regional Organic Certifier. I started taking classes through them, which led me to volunteer for them. I present some of our home projects as topics at workshops. They host our Ag fair and have a wide array of programs to apprenticeship new farmers. Any young adult who wants to be an independent farmer one day can apply and in four years either be working as a hired Farm Manager or else be supporting yourself on your own farm.

Spending time around these young people with dreams of supporting families by growing veggies, is a very inspiring energy. Watching them do it is even better.

I am also on the board of our County Cooperative Extension Service.

It took me a while to find my niche and social groups that fit my niche. I still do a few things with veterans groups, but I am not comfortable doing that level of drinking in a group setting.

Moving to a region where I had never lived before seemed like a daunting task, at least with my previous dozen household moves there was always the base with some assistance. Doing it now as a civilian I thought it would benefit me to be outgoing in making social connections and learning where my resources lay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living